Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #1

Newbie starting Coachmen 192RBS furnace.

I have a 2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS. This is my first rv and have had it since May. I tried to start the heat this weekend but got nothing. I turned on the propane and flipped the thermostat, nothing. Is there a pilot light that you must light? I have looked all over but can’t find one.
When I picked up this rv, the dealer already had the heater working. I didn’t see him light it. He may have told me how but I don’t remember. I have looked at manuals and didn’t see how either.
It could be a blown fuse but I feel like I need to light a pilot light somewhere. Please let me know.
TM757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #2

Open the propane valve and wait a few minutes for the propane gas to reach the furnace. This may take 5 minutes.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:57 AM   #3

Oh, forgot to mention my trailer ignites without me lighting a pilot. There are probably only 2 furnace manufacturers for all RV's and I think both furnaces work the same. You most likely do not need to light a pilot.

The two furnace manufacturers are Suburban and Atwood. See which one you have a YouTube it. That will tell you a lot about the furnace.

Typically once you get it blowing heat your travel trailer will get warm fast. My trailer will have warm spots and cold spots which I do not like.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:04 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ours has a on/off switch on the heater itself. Ours is accessed outside in the furnace door. If you are not even getting the clicking of the igniter I would look for the switch or a blown fuse in the fuse box or on the heater control board.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #5

If the only problem is that the gas hasn’t reached the igniter, and you got tired of waiting, light a stove burner first. That will move the gas back to the stove, then it takes only a short time for it to reach the heater igniter.
If you don’t hear “clicking” from the heater compartment, which would be the igniter trying to fire the gas, then you may have a problem. The thermostat for our trailer has “heat”, “off”, and “cool” settings. Be sure you’re on “heat”.
Let us know how you do.
Tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #6

Furnace FAM MUST start before ANYTHING else will happen

When you turn thermostat temp setting UP (above room temp) do you hear a 'click' from the thermostat?

Brand/Model of furnace is KEY to troubleshooting
DC Voltage is AT the furnace waiting for thermostat signal...then fan gets DC Voltage to start
No Fan...no DC
So either Furnace Main DC Fuse is blown or you have problem with DC circuit on furnace
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #7

If the blower does not turn on as soon as you lower the thermostat, nothing more can happen but most models of RV furnace have a service switch on them that is located inside of the rear access panel, found on the outside of the RV. It would be helpful if we knew which brand of furnace you have as there are some differences.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

Just wondering - did you get the furnace to blow heat? In other words is the furnace working ok now?
Old 09-30-2020, 02:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Just wondering - did you get the furnace to blow heat? In other words is the furnace working ok now?
Hey tuffr2,
I haven’t had a chance yet since I am away but I am taking it all in and will let you know.
I do appreciate all of the comments. This is something I will need soon.
tmedlin
Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #10

Broken

Ok so I finally got a chance to check it out. I went through all of your suggestions. Didn’t work. I have fuel. The fuses are good. No pilot light is required.

I looked at the manual. It was talking about a switch I don’t have and an access outside I don’t have. Didn’t work. I don’t even know if I have the correct manual.

I called Coachmen. Didn’t get anyone there.

Finally called my dealer. He told me that the only thing you need to do is turn on the gas. Turn on the thermostat. Set the heat setting to high and it should work. It didn’t. Something isn’t right. I will take it to a shop since it is under warranty.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I wish it would have worked.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #11

Do you hear any clicking sound of an ignitor trying to light the gas to create a flame in the furnace?

When you turn on the thermostat listen for clicking.

One thing you might check is that you have the thermostat set correctly. The thermostat in my trailer is a bit tricky at 1st.

Let us know if you hear clicking.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:58 AM   #12

There is no clicking sound when I turn on the thermostat. There is a sound when the springs flip when you go past the ambient temperature but nothing ever happens. I am assuming that the thermostat is bad or short in the wiring.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:04 AM   #13

Did the dealer demonstrate the furnace during your PDI or has it never been operated ?
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:21 AM   #14

Humm - no clicking. I hear a click that is away from the thermostat and a I can hear the furnace firing up.

Agree time to try to track down a loose wire or short. If you have a tester start testing.

One thing you might double check is the fuse for the furnace. Make sure it is ok.

Tags
192rbs, ace, coachmen, furnace, newbie