Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Newbie Tips and Advice

Hey guys, so I am brand new to towing and travel trailers (and this site of course). I skimmed real quick and I didn't see a thread dedicated to helping someone who's new. I know it is a broad question but what are the things one should look for when selecting their trailer? I know weight is obviously a big one, but what else are some basics I should read up? Materials? Water storage?

I apologize for asking such an open ended question, but I want to go into this with as much knowledge as I can and I feel like this is probably my best source of knowledge. I'm sure I'll be on here frequently asking more and more questions as time goes on so I'll thank everyone in advance for whatever info they can provide!
liablebread0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the site. Yep a real open ended question, so to be as helpful as we can, will need to ask a few questions.

What kind of camping do you like to do? boondocking, state and federal parks, private parks, etc.

How large is your family?

What kind of tow vehicle?

Here are a few thoughts.

Know how much you can safely tow (weight).
Look at the floor plan that will fit your needs.
You will have to do your own manufacture research.
I would stay away from aluminum frame trailers.
I have had good luck with both fiberglass and aluminum sided trailers.
Look at length, the longer the trailer the harder it is to maneuver in traffic and park.
This is just for starters. You came to the right site, I am sure others will give you more opinions.

I will be happy to help more after you give us more info.

ie tank sizes will depend on the type of camping.

We started with a tent then upgraded to a pop up camper then 2 travel trailers and now a class A. As we got older and our needs changed so did the RV.

Happy camping, and I hope I was of some help.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #3

150/1500 series trucks can tow 6,000lbs comfortably. 28' max because side surface of a trailer will catch wind and semi truck
Typical payload 1,600lbs

250/2500 series trucks can tow up to 10,000lbs of travel trailer but not really that good to tow 5th wheels.
Typical payload 2,800lbs

350/3500 (SRW) series single rear wheel - good for over 10,000lb travel trailers and up to 14,000lbs 5th wheels.
Typical payload 3,800lbs

350/3500 (DRW) Dull real wheels good for 20,000 5th wheels and big travel trailers.
Typical payload 4,800 - 5,800 lbs.

Each step up in truck size includes stronger axles and more springs to carry more weight.

All vehicles have a occupant / payload capacity sticker. This is what you need to look for. It is on the drivers side door jam.

Two trucks - one with 1,500lb payload and one with 1,800lb payload you should buy the one with 1,800lb payload.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #4

What kind of camping do you like to do? boondocking, state and federal parks, private parks, etc. A bit of everything. But I'd say primarily national and state parks but I'd like to a lot of boondocking as well. The plan is to take 3 months this winter and head south to get into warm weather. Currently in CT.

How large is your family? Just my wife and I plus two dogs. Both on the larger side, 65 lbs and 100 lbs.

What kind of tow vehicle? 2020 Sierra 2500 w/Duramax.

So far what I've liked is the Sonic X. Because I don't have much towing experience I was thinking 28" and under. Why would you avoid aluminum framed trailers? We would likely be bringing along some bikes and a kayak or two.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #5

Less than 28’ with a 2500 diesel. You will enjoy that combination. Small enough to camp in most spots, big enough to have some space, and that truck will pull it like it’s not even there.

I wouldn’t avoid aluminum frames, I’ve never had any trouble with them.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #6

Welcome to the site. If attempting to Boondock a lot get the largest water tank your tt size offers. You will definitely want to upgrade your battery system as well.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #7

Yeah I figured as much with the battery. What about the solar and everything? I liked the sonic X because its "self sustaining" but couldn't I take any trailer and upgrade it to be self sustaining or is there a limitation somewhere I'm not aware of?
Old 06-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #8

Might not have been clear. I meant aluminum under carriage, not the house frames. Hade a friend with one and the aluminum under carriage cracked and warped cause all kinds of issues.

Tags
advice, newbie