Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2022, 10:05 PM   #1

Newbie to Travel Trailers...HELP

SO after going through a divorce after 25+ yrs of marriage, losing my father and then having a heart attack at 52, Ive decided life is too short to work all the time.

Ive enjoyed camping in the past and have decided to make more time for it. I just acquired a 2008 Starcraft 1800ck camper. I basically bought it because it was inexpensive due to being impounded. it was Locked up when I bought it, It was cheap enough that I took the chance.
Well inside was a hoarders paradise and the fridge freezer were full, who knows how long the power had been off..
I emptied everything out into several heavy duty garbage bags and loaded it into my truck for a dump run.
Now that it has been emptied out and de-odorized, its pretty darn nice. But I dont know squat about anything. I was unable to find a manual online as to what I need to do to fill water, drain waste, use the stove, hot water. Well basically I know nothing about Everything. Is there a campers for Dummies book?
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2022, 10:36 PM   #2

Here is some basic info.....
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2008-...-1800ck-tr3541

Trailer has 2 electrical systems
120VAC for A/C Unit, microwave and 45A Converter that can supply the 12VDC System when connected to AC Power source plus maintain/charge battery

120VAC Panel with 30A Main Circuit Breaker and Individual Circuit Breakers

12VDC System for tongue jack, lights, fridge/water heater/furnace controls and functions, water pump, etc
DC Fuse Dist. Panel with Fuses for the Individual DC Circuits....part of the AC Main Power Panel

Two 30# (7 gal/each) propane cylinders on tongue with Pigtail hoses to an Auto Changeover Regulator to controls the RV LP System Pressure and Flow
Propane supplies gas for stove top/oven, fridge, water heater and furnace
*Water heater/fridge/furnace have electronic ignition of gas
****Valve in one Propane Cylinder ----OPEN the valve SLOWLY/turn lever on Regulator towards that cylinder/then valve in the other cylinder SLOWLY
***Light stove top burners one at time on high to get propane flowing (water heater/fridge/furnace may need several attempts before propane flow is established at each one)

Water ----
Probably gravity fill port for fresh water tank...pump can supply RV Plumbing System
City Water Hose connection to also supply RV Plumbing System when available (should use a water pressure regulator set for 50 PSI and an In-Line Filter on potable water hose to RV City Water connection)

Waste tanks...
Black tank....toilet gravity dump into black tank
Grey tank....Kitchen/Bath sinks and shower drain to grey tank
Waste tank dump valves...connect sewer hose to outlet...open grey first to check connections then close it--open black and dump it/close then open grey to dump it and 'rinse' dump line/swere hose with siapy grey waste water.
*Dump Waste tanks when Full (at least 3/4 full). High level/volume of water moves stuff out of the tanks.
Black tank---use adequate water (high liquid to solids ratio) so you do not end up with a Poop Pyramid

Basic Water System
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #3

Old-Biscuit provided a good outline!

U tube provides endless videos showing individual systems. Choosing the best search word is my biggest challenge.

Tires - Tires deteriorate with age. They are usually good for 5 years. Failure rate increases, reaching almost certain failure at 10 years. The Date Code on your tires tells how old yours are.

Batteries - Batteries stored dead will die fast. Yours may need replacing now. Test them to know. Always store lead acid batteries fully charged. Get "Deep Cycle" batteries for replacement. Do not get engine start batteries.

12 volt Side of Life part 1
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

12 volt Side of Life part 2
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

Water system - Fresh water systems need to be sanitized periodically. Use pure chlorine bleach (not scented) mixed according to directions. Google "sanitize water tank".
https://bbhd.org/wp-content/uploads/...age-tank_1.pdf

Roof - Water leaks can damage trailer interiors. Inspect roof for cracks in sealant etc.

Look up any small trailer manual and read it. I could not easily find one for your Starecraft. But in general they all cover similar issues.

Good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #4

Do you have a 2008 Starcraft 1800ck camper or do you have a Georgie Boy motor home?

It is 25 degrees here in Wisconsin now. Your profile says you are in Illinois. If so, the water system needs to be winterize to keep from bursting valves and pumps when temps are below freezing. Google "winterize travel trailer".

If the TT was not winterized in impound storage and it had water in it, you may have water system problems to deal with.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:36 AM   #5

Go through camper, write down name and model number for everything in there. Look them all up, print out the manufacturer’s manual and put in a notebook.
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #6

You might need a WDH with an anti-sway system. I have an E-qualizer system for my rig also a trailer brake system in you tow veh might also be a good idea.
Randall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #7

I would add to be sure to do a roof inspection when the weather permits. Be sure to check for leaks around windows as well.
In general, avoid silicone for repairs. Self-leveling Dicor or Eternabond tape are commonly used on roofs. For a clear sealant, GeoCel ProFlex is a good choice.

Tags
newbie, trailer, travel, travel trailer, travel trailers