Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #57

No answer for sway

I have both a 2.7 F150 and 6.7 F250. I also have had the Fastway e2 and now the propride hitch.

My suggestion is to correctly set up your new equalizer hitch and also upgrade shocks on the F150 to bilsteins. Also run your rear tires at max psi or close. You’ll need that turbo at altitude out west. F250 would pull better but makes a worse daily driver.

The $3k Propride will help with sway but also adds a ton of tongue weight. Off-road boondocking is taxing as that hitch seems to bind up quite a bit. Great on the highway.

Also post some pics of your setup. Could be something you’re missing that we’ll catch.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
I think your truck is too small, but I'm no expert. My own experience...26,000-pound motorhome on a Freightliner chassis pulling a 24-foot trailer weighing 10,000 pounds. I fought sway for a long time, but one day in Texas I followed a truck and trailer and watched the trailer pushing the truck back and forth like a metronome. I pulled into the next town and got one of these:
After that I could run faster and spend a couple more hours a day behind the wheel. I had resisted getting one because I thought it would prevent my backing up. That was no problem and was a major improvement. Wouldn't be without one now.
My dad uses 2 of these. 1 on each side of the ball. I have used them in the past. They are a great addition to a weight distributing hitch that doesn’t have sway control built in.
fabricater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #59

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Mercy...after going through both threads, it has been quite the whirlwind of well-meaning and experienced answers/suggestions/purchase recommendation A few things you posted stuck out to me:
-Sway
-Perfectly level trailer
-Tongue weight
-and now you discover you don't have a genuine Equal-i-zer brand WD hitch, with built-in sway control.

I vote "setup issue".

I'm still not sure we know what we need to know. In troubleshooting, I always get in to trouble assuming certain components are "right".

Let's start over fresh. Unless I missed it somewhere, If you haven't done "SmokeyWren's" truck scale weigh procedure as follows, then IMO, nothing else matters.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/what...ml#post4239483

"Visually level" trailer doesn't always translate to properly loaded. Multiple recommendations say not enough tongue weight, symptoms support that.

Let's take a look at another video on weight distribution hitches from our Aussie friends...yes metric and some different terms, but it's a great teaching example, maybe it will turn on a light bulb for you.
https://youtu.be/3-PyN0EY3Ww

While a bigger truck, and all those other things will help, let's nail your current setup first. It certainly will fit into your budget and camping plans much better.

Master Yoda trailer gurus (not me), say "you must un-learn what you have learned...".

Hang in there, I think you can make this setup work with the right data.
That was an awesome video! Hope he watches it.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #60

Do you have an anti sway bar installed (these usually fit on the curbside of the A-frame, and connect the small ball of the hitch to the other small(er) ball on the A-frame)? I use the Curt Sway Control Kit, and get no sway on my 26' TT. Just remember to disconnect it before backing up to park your rig!

Cheers!

Michel
Old 07-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #61

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
Well guys for those of you that have been following my sway issues i have given up. I have weighed my tongue and it is perfect. Trailer and TV are perfectly level. Equalizer has been set up right. Tires are LT michelins. No weight in back of trailer. Added sand bags to get my tongue weight correct. After all this my trailer still sways and bounces down the road. I have a 2020 Imagine with loaded weight 6500, we travel lite. TV is F150 2.7 ecoboost weighing in at 4500 lbs. Saying all that do I get a 250 or Propride hitch can not do both. Is there a way out or am I stuck with a swaying trailer. This is my last post on this subject I have beat this issue to death.
Just happened across your post and wanted to share a possible fix for you.
We have a 36' Highland ridge 272RLS TT. Tongue wt is about 850lbs, Trailer WT Loaded was about 8500lbs. TV is a 2010 F150 XLT Crew Cab with Tow package and I have Air Bags on the rear from when i had a camper on it. When we first got the trailer it came with a WD and sway control hitch. Can't remember the brand but that thing was TERRIBLE! My rig was all over the road when Semi's would pass or from opposite direction on smaller roads. Even regular vehicles would push it around. When windy it was a white knuckle experience. I finally looked around for a better sway control and found my Anderson. Long story short. The Anderson is a different set up than other sway controls. Ever since i put that on, no more worries. Easy to drive and i don't have to loosen the sway control bar to back up. They take a little getting used to attaching it, but it's really pretty simple. Had mine for about 3 yrs now and I love it. My Wife even drove it across country with no problems. Check it out here:
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...ion-hitch.aspx
Hope this helps. Cost around $500
rlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgest View Post
Do you have an anti sway bar installed (these usually fit on the curbside of the A-frame, and connect the small ball of the hitch to the other small(er) ball on the A-frame)? I use the Curt Sway Control Kit, and get no sway on my 26' TT. Just remember to disconnect it before backing up to park your rig!

Cheers!

Michel
Why, pray tell, would you feel the need to disconnect before backing up?
I have used this system for thousands of miles and never thought about disconnecting to back up.
westpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #63

Quote:
Well guys for those of you that have been following my sway issues i have given up. I have weighed my tongue and it is perfect. Trailer and TV are perfectly level. Equalizer has been set up right. Tires are LT michelins. No weight in back of trailer. Added sand bags to get my tongue weight correct. After all this my trailer still sways and bounces down the road. I have a 2020 Imagine with loaded weight 6500, we travel lite. TV is F150 2.7 ecoboost weighing in at 4500 lbs. Saying all that do I get a 250 or Propride hitch can not do both. Is there a way out or am I stuck with a swaying trailer. This is my last post on this subject I have beat this issue to death.
check measurement from outside of axle or tires to ball or pull point. if not the same it will not pull true!
IL Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:37 PM   #64

Sway

Back in the days I towed a trailer I used the equalizer hitch and an expensive sway bar. When you pull out, go to a straight stretch and really tighten that thing down hard. Be sure not to use any lubricant on it as that defeats the purpose. I have towed in heavy crosswinds with everything from a Crown Victoria, Astro Van, to a RAM 2500. none had sway issues when the sway bay is properly set. I set it as tight as I could with the handle, by hand. Then in situations where I would need to swing such as backing or maneuvering I would get out and loosen it a bit.
HavasuDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #65

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Sway Problem with F-150 Ford and Travel Trailer.
You have a lot of good answers and what I did not see was how long your Trailer was. If your Trailer is over 22 Feet it would be best to Tow with a 3/4 or 1 Ton Truck because they come with 16 to 20 inch rims that hold a much stiffer Tire rated for heavy weights and higher AIR pressure. Example, A SEMI TRUCK or my 45 ft long MOTOR HOME have 110 PSI in the steering tires. The suspensions systems are stronger with bigger firmer bushings. Your Ford 150 and Travel Trailer could have wore out suspension bushing or loose Bolts or cracked cross members on the Frame. If you have your Equalizer Sway Bars set right you don't need to add weight to the vehicles cause that is the JOB OF THE EQUALIZERS BARS. IF you are runing a short wheel base Pickup you are asking for sway towing a long Trailer. anyway enough said hope this helps you out.
Even with the best system with the ruts in the Blacktop from Transport Trucks every once and a while on some section of road your Trailer will do a little side-step it happens to Hiway Semi Trucks which I have driven for many years.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #66

Sway issues

I agree with the Friction anti-sway Solution . I had an Avalanche with a 6000# TT And a setup Equalizer hitch with 1 friction anti sway bar. As soon as I tightened it up all was good.If I forgot to tension up the sway bar brake pads I felt it right away.
The real problem is the truck weight but it can be overcome.
rndlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #67

I am 70 and have 25’ Lance and now travel West US

Quote:
You might have a little bit of issue with several items.
1. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 half ton but it has 20 “ All Terrain tires with Max PSI of 65! 65 vs 35 is a bit of a difference so some sway there.
2. I opted for the Max trailering package which has a Heavy Duty rear suspension to reduce Sag which can also increase sway. Some sway reduction with the HD rear suspension.
3. The Lance has independent suspension and towing is smooth Adds more reduction to sway.
4. Make sure your truck does not sag. Make sure the trailer is LEVEL going down the road. Both the Truck and Trailer MUST be level. Sag on the truck and sag on the tongue of the trailer will create an apex junction and that too will increase sway. There are kits to add rubber bumpers under the rear of your
F150 raise it and eliminate Swag. Then Readjust your hitch ball so your trailer is perfectly Level with the bottom of your truck once you get it level too. This will reduce more sway as well.
5. THE BIG ONE: I added a Reese Recurve 6 (12,000 Max) Weight Distribution Hitch. The Recurve 6 has auto sway adjust specifically designed for those Windy days.

NOTE: 80% of folks buy the wrong WD Hitch. Reese offers a very good chart their engineers created. You must ADD the HITCH Weight of the Trailer (mine was 744#), ADD the Weight of the Distribution Hitch itself (Rees 6 was 105#, Add the weight of every thing from above the rear axle of the Tow Vehicle to the rear of the truck bed up to the tailgate (My 2 small Water jugs and 2 gas jugs are 80 # total and tools 50#). Total Realized Weight distributed to my hitch (actual hitch weight) is 979 pounds. The Reese chart shows the R6 Recurve hitch to handle between 900-1,200 pounds of actual Hitch Weight.

I can drive down the road with Semi trucks or wind and not even hold onto the steering column and the rig will track straight down the road with no sway at all.

My darned Electronic Safety system actually puts out and alert that reads.......
“Take Hold of Steering Wheel“....I did not make this up.....check with GM!

Its not just one issue....it is the combination that is keeping you from succeeding!

Good Luck!
JS Camps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #68

Have you tried G rated tires? I have a friend who pulls a 5er and he put G rates tires on and he runs down the road curves uphill down hill and it’s steady as can be....I know because I followed him to our last camp outing and I commented how stable it looked....hope this my help you ...
stay safe!!
Chuck
Cjfish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #69

Quote:
well well guess what I found out today, my hitch and sway control is not an equalizer it is a Fastway pt 2. The dealer installed my old hitch and I thought it was an equalizer and since the label had fallen off when I had my old trailer I never knew i didnt have the equalizer, I have order the equalizer pt 4 and I think that will cure my ills,. stupid is as stupid does
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappion View Post
Can't google Fastway pt 2 or pt4. Can find Fastway e2.
I found the e2 as well. If that's what he has it is way too small for the load and although they claim to have built-in sway control, I don't see how it would work.

Real built-in sway control uses something like the Reese Dual-Cam WDH system which prevents sway in the first place by locking you into a straight ahead position with cam-lok action. Works so much better than friction sway control.

aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all 35lbs is not enough air. I know nothing about a Hensley Hitch but I do know about towing and I would put more air pressure or a more ply tire in the back.
mhaston is offline   Reply With Quote