Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #15

I would take the trailer to a shop to take measurements to check for axle alignment.
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #16

I believe Sumo Springs made a difference the one time I had sway. They are like shock absorbers, which absorb energy.

Springs alone will return much of the energy compressed into them. Sway is recirculating energy. Friction sway bars burn up some of that energy. But, I read do not use in the rain etc. Maybe its difficult to turn in the rain.

I had a suspension shop check my alignment due to tire wear. They told me I needed news springs, very cheap too. I had them add the Sumo Springs for dirt roads. Also went to a higher ply, higher pressure tire.

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/

Anyway this thread is a good read. I am moving up to a larger TT.
Pappion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:54 PM   #17

Swaying saga continues

I have a 2020 Imagine with the bathroom in the rear, so I can not move anything to the nose. my recliners are right at mid level, i weighed and got my tongue and it is right on about 800 lbs. I travel very light so the only cargo I have is in the front. payload on truck is under payload numbers for truck, I am under GVWR on trailer by 900 lbs. I just thought while praying about my problem and the idea of maybe hitch is not correct, I say this because I had my first trailer totalled last year by water and then I went and bought my new trailer., My hitch stayed on truck from old trailer and I bet the new trailer was put on with the hitch height the same as my old trailer, old trailer was 1000 lbs lighter than new one,could this be my problem.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:58 PM   #18

As other have recommended, I’d have the alignment and camber checked on the axles.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:46 AM   #19

Have an authorized Equalizer installer look at and inspect everything. Your set up sounds like it should be fine. Search their dealer locator and see if there’s a dealer close to you. I’ve also heard the customer service is very responsive.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:34 AM   #20

Even if the tongue weight is perfect, a trailer with an improper weight distribution will still sway. It sounds like that trailer may have too much weight, too far back.

Where are the holding tanks? Does a full set of tanks make it tow better or worse? Do you have access to a friends truck? Maybe switch trucks to be sure the problem is the trailer.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:58 AM   #21

I think that towing a TT near max capacity of the TV will just have a certain amount of sway. I towed my XLR Hyperlite 29HFS toyhauler with my 2018 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I was within my limits, but not by much. Towing with the garage empty was no problem, but when the bike was back there, it was a bit sketchy. It would do it, but it was exhausting. I also had a property installed and set up hitch. Other drivers probably couldn't see the sway, but I could feel it.
D1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
Well guys for those of you that have been following my sway issues i have given up. I have weighed my tongue and it is perfect. Trailer and TV are perfectly level. Equalizer has been set up right. Tires are LT michelins. No weight in back of trailer. Added sand bags to get my tongue weight correct. After all this my trailer still sways and bounces down the road. I have a 2020 Imagine with loaded weight 6500, we travel lite. TV is F150 2.7 ecoboost weighing in at 4500 lbs. Saying all that do I get a 250 or Propride hitch can not do both. Is there a way out or am I stuck with a swaying trailer. This is my last post on this subject I have beat this issue to death.
From your post it's obvious you're frustrated, and I can understand that. But I am going to weigh in with my opinion with the knowledge that, as is the case with these type of forums and with this topic, there will be strong and verbose bloviations from the 1/2 ton loyalists and those with self-proclaimed expertise. Your tow vehicle is too light and has too short a wheelbase to pull the camper you have chosen with no perceptible sway. The set up is hinged in the middle and will move in the wind at speed. Sway isn't the end of the world, uncontrolled sway can be. My wife and I wanted a long and heavy camper, so instead of trying to cram 10 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket we bought a heavy tow vehicle to tow a heavy camper, and miraculously our driving experience is comfortable and we have no uncontrollable sway at highway speed in wind. You can try to convince yourself that your truck is capable but it's not, hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear like they say. Your truck is a great truck, but not for towing a big box down the highway. No offense intended, just another opinion based on my personal experience after making a lot of mistakes over the years.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #23

Swaying continues

For those who have been following my swaying saga I might have found my answer but need your advice before I purchase. Reese sway control bar: Is this something that might fix my swaying issues or is it just something else to spend money on. I have detailed my issues many times so I will not go into all my problems again.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
For those who have been following my swaying saga I might have found my answer but need your advice before I purchase. Reese sway control bar: Is this something that might fix my swaying issues or is it just something else to spend money on. I have detailed my issues many times so I will not go into all my problems again.
It won't cure the sway, but it might dampen it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Well guys for those of you that have been following my sway issues i have given up. I have weighed my tongue and it is perfect. Trailer and TV are perfectly level. Equalizer has been set up right. Tires are LT michelins. No weight in back of trailer. Added sand bags to get my tongue weight correct. After all this my trailer still sways and bounces down the road. I have a 2020 Imagine with loaded weight 6500, we travel lite. TV is F150 2.7 ecoboost weighing in at 4500 lbs. Saying all that do I get a 250 or Propride hitch can not do both. Is there a way out or am I stuck with a swaying trailer. This is my last post on this subject I have beat this issue to death.
I haven't read all the replies but I am familiar with your thread. Have you offered up your location to see if any of us are in your area? Perhaps someone would be willing to come take a look, or lend their hitch gear if it fits to see if that solves the issue? Or perhaps with your equipment and someone with 1 ton dually, etc? Just throwing out a few thoughts.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
From your post it's obvious you're frustrated, and I can understand that. But I am going to weigh in with my opinion with the knowledge that, as is the case with these type of forums and with this topic, there will be strong and verbose bloviations from the 1/2 ton loyalists and those with self-proclaimed expertise. Your tow vehicle is too light and has too short a wheelbase to pull the camper you have chosen with no perceptible sway. The set up is hinged in the middle and will move in the wind at speed. Sway isn't the end of the world, uncontrolled sway can be. My wife and I wanted a long and heavy camper, so instead of trying to cram 10 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket we bought a heavy tow vehicle to tow a heavy camper, and miraculously our driving experience is comfortable and we have no uncontrollable sway at highway speed in wind. You can try to convince yourself that your truck is capable but it's not, hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear like they say. Your truck is a great truck, but not for towing a big box down the highway. No offense intended, just another opinion based on my personal experience after making a lot of mistakes over the years.
thousands of people tow with a 1/2 ton and have no problems, I for one. does that mean he needs to run down and spend thousands of dollars on a new truck. the O/P just has something wrong with his towing set up. also he states that the swaying problem is in windy conditions. the Reese friction bar might help in this condition, they only cost 50.00. it would be worth a try, I have a friend that swears they work good. I have one on mine buy never have had to really use it.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #27

Jay D - he has a F-150 light. His truck only weighs 4,500lbs. I fall into the crowd that thinks he needs a bigger truck.

Google image F-150 with HDPP and look at that 163" wheelbase. I am convinced wheelbase is key in controlling the trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #28

Before I spent anymore money chasing the sway, I’d get a friend to pull the TT with his truck to see if the sway follows. If it’s an alignment issue with the trailer axle, his truck will pull it the same.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote