Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Couple of observations:

You indicate the tongue weight is 800 lbs. But how do you know? Have you had it on a scale? If so, could you post the weights of each axle truck and trailer? Overall distribution of weight is as important as any single weight. Is each axle within its rating? Is there too much weight on the tongue and not enough on the back axle? As already indicated, usually sway is caused by the tongue being too light, but overall weight distribution can affect handling as well.

Also, its been advised and discussed, but I don't see anywhere that you've confirmed the hitch setup has been verified since changing trailers. There are many settings on the equalizer that could affect proper towing and should be matched to the trailer. Hitch height and ball angle are the two prominent settings. It should not cost much to have someone who sets these things up to verify correct configuration.

It's also been advised to have alignment checked. For some reason Grand Design seems to have a LOT of axle issues, anecdotally more so than any other manufacturer I've seen. Just because its a new trailer doesn't mean its right. If I missed where you did that, sorry.

As others have asked, either in this thread or the other one, how much force does it take to put on the sway bars? If you can put them on without the helper handle or without raising the nose of the trailer significantly, they aren't adjusted correctly.

I tow what I believe is a very similar setup, the 2018 Hemisphere 282RK dual axle ~6800lbs unloaded and700 lbs advertised hitch weight with a RAM 1500 using the equalizer hitch without issue. I do have the crew cab, is your F-150 a regular cab? This would make it a shorter wheel base which could affect things.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Jay D - he has a F-150 light. His truck only weighs 4,500lbs. I fall into the crowd that thinks he needs a bigger truck.

Google image F-150 with HDPP and look at that 163" wheelbase. I am convinced wheelbase is key in controlling the trailer.
Not that simple. 5th wheels tow well. The pivot point is over the rear axles (mostly). A TT pivot point (ball) is behind the rear axle. This distance matters.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #31

Still not loaded properly, doesn't matter what your towing it with if not loaded properly. Also is it sway or are you dealing with push from passing vehicles, there is a difference.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Jay D - he has a F-150 light. His truck only weighs 4,500lbs. I fall into the crowd that thinks he needs a bigger truck.

Google image F-150 with HDPP and look at that 163" wheelbase. I am convinced wheelbase is key in controlling the trailer.
And......it's always the 1/2 ton folks who seem to have the tow and sway issues, but then that's just coincidental I suppose!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
And......it's always the 1/2 ton folks who seem to have the tow and sway issues, but then that's just coincidental I suppose!
Of course it is, they can tow ANYTHING, just need a good hitch set up hahahhaha
RvRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #34

Quote:

if his is a light duty base line std cab, then yes I somewhat agree with you. I still believe he has something not set up right. and yes more length is better. maybe he should get a crew cab 150 with a tow package and live happily ever after.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #35

Swaying saga continues

well well guess what I found out today, my hitch and sway control is not an equalizer it is a Fastway pt 2. The dealer installed my old hitch and I thought it was an equalizer and since the label had fallen off when I had my old trailer I never knew i didnt have the equalizer, I have order the equalizer pt 4 and I think that will cure my ills,. stupid is as stupid does
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
well well guess what I found out today, my hitch and sway control is not an equalizer it is a Fastway pt 2. The dealer installed my old hitch and I thought it was an equalizer and since the label had fallen off when I had my old trailer I never knew i didnt have the equalizer, I have order the equalizer pt 4 and I think that will cure my ills,. stupid is as stupid does

Can't google Fastway pt 2 or pt4. Can find Fastway e2.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #37

could you please post a picture of your hitch.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #38

Hook a one ton dually to that trailer and you'll greatly reduce the sway.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #39

A trailer can sway behind a Kenworth if its loaded wrong.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #40

Nevada - you are saying a 28' travel trailer will sway behind a Kenworth? So what if the driver does not feel it and his steering is not affected.

You could have a travel trailer doing flips and the driver of a Kenworth will not complain about sway
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #41

No answer for sway

F150, 45lb cold, 50lb hot when towing a 7500lb trailer. Maxxed pressure which is 65lb in Endurance tires on the trailer. 1200lb Equalizer hitch, 1000lb measured tongue. Minimal weight behind the rear axle of the TV. Little sway, but when very windy, I have to slow to 55mph. Just me in truck. However, if I was able to quit my job and met the love of my life, I would have to upgrade the truck. I think max tongue weight on my truck is 1200lb.

I am too lazy to read the entire tread, but huge mistakes I made was underestimating the tongue and the total weight of my trailer, assuming a cheap 600lb WDH based on assumptions would suffice, and not increasing tire pressure.

The people I learned from in this forum very well could of saved my life and the lives of others. Thanks.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
well well guess what I found out today, my hitch and sway control is not an equalizer it is a Fastway pt 2. The dealer installed my old hitch and I thought it was an equalizer and since the label had fallen off when I had my old trailer I never knew i didn't have the equalizer, I have order the equalizer pt 4 and I think that will cure my ills,. stupid is as stupid does
Mercy...after going through both threads, it has been quite the whirlwind of well-meaning and experienced answers/suggestions/purchase recommendation A few things you posted stuck out to me:
-Sway
-Perfectly level trailer
-Tongue weight
-and now you discover you don't have a genuine Equal-i-zer brand WD hitch, with built-in sway control.

I vote "setup issue".

I'm still not sure we know what we need to know. In troubleshooting, I always get in to trouble assuming certain components are "right".

Let's start over fresh. Unless I missed it somewhere, If you haven't done "SmokeyWren's" truck scale weigh procedure as follows, then IMO, nothing else matters.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/what...ml#post4239483

"Visually level" trailer doesn't always translate to properly loaded. Multiple recommendations say not enough tongue weight, symptoms support that.

Let's take a look at another video on weight distribution hitches from our Aussie friends...yes metric and some different terms, but it's a great teaching example, maybe it will turn on a light bulb for you.
https://youtu.be/3-PyN0EY3Ww

While a bigger truck, and all those other things will help, let's nail your current setup first. It certainly will fit into your budget and camping plans much better.

Master Yoda trailer gurus (not me), say "you must un-learn what you have learned...".

Hang in there, I think you can make this setup work with the right data.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote