Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #1

No bearing buddies on wheel hubs ? How to grease ?

I found a nice used 2021 20 footer locally for a good price.

Trailers here near Seattle are crazy expensive.

See attached pic - is there a hidden grease zert fitting somewhere ?
How do I grease the wheel bearings?

I did not want to pry off that rubber dealio in the center - I have had a couple jet ski and boat trailers that had the grease fitting easily right in the center where that rubber piece is

thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer bearing.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	369307
StrkAliteN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #2

From the photo I'm thinking the trailer has ; Dexter EZ lube axles ;and yes the zerk fitting behind the rubber cap.

Look for a Dexter owners manual online for the correct method of greasing the bearings , I thought I had the pdf , but must have lost it in a hard drive failure .

NOTE: The rubber caps are subject to failure , purchase spares.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #3

If you take off that rubber piece there should be a grease fitting behind it. Perhaps someone had removed the rubber piece on your boat and jet ski trailers ?

Oops - I was a little late with my post.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #4

As stated above, the rubber is a protective cap. All of my trailers with Dexter axles had that.

If they do not, your choices for greasing is to install bering buddies or the old fashion way of pulling the wheel off and packing the bearings.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #5

Yep...behind the rubber cap.

There are also a large contingent of people that do NOT grease their bearings using the EZ lube fittings as there is potential to blow out the inner grease seal, getting grease all over the brakes.

If you re-pack your bearings, yearly/every 10K miles or so, as directed, I wouldn't think there'd be a reason to be pumping grease into the bearing thru the zerk fitting.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
Yep...behind the rubber cap.

There are also a large contingent of people that do NOT grease their bearings using the EZ lube fittings as there is potential to blow out the inner grease seal, getting grease all over the brakes.

If you re-pack your bearings, yearly/every 10K miles or so, as directed, I wouldn't think there'd be a reason to be pumping grease into the bearing thru the zerk fitting.
Exactly !

Potential for brake contamination is there ; not as bad with EZ lube system as bearing buddy's ; but still there .
My last 5er had EZ lube , in six years , I used the system once ; 1/2 way through my 20,000 klm cross continent trip , other wise it was an annual repack and BRAKE inspect and adjustment .
Old 06-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #7

I believe you're much more likely to blow out the inner bearing if you have a bearing buddy, as opposed to a jerk fitting on a sure lube, posi lube, ez lube axle, where the grease is "supposed" to be directed to the outer bearing.

Only 1 minute later than you, this time.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post

Only 1 minute later than you, this time.
Shall we keep going for a tie ?
Old 06-25-2022, 11:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing is a Bearing Buddy is not the same thing as an EZ Lube axle and you do not just pump grease into an EZ Lube. There is a very specific procedure to lube the EZ Lube which if you do not follow the instructions, you can easily blow the rear grease seal and ruin the brakes.

Even with the EZ Lube axles, you still need to pull the drum, inspect the bearings and brakes after a couple of years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Shall we keep going for a tie ?
Nah, you're too fast for me. I did notice in my post #7 I wrote "jerk" fitting.
One thing I don't like about this site, is not being able to edit a post, if a mistake isn't found in time.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I pull the brake drums every 2 years and repack by hand. Gives me a chance to blow out debris from around the brakes/drums and check the condition of the bearings/races. I do pull the rear seals as I have no idea how one can inspect the bearings otherwise . I keep everything clean from dust and debris and hand pack new grease on good bearings so I don't have to clean them each time. Just did the job and determined that brake lining wear and magnet wear are going to make me focus on doing the total backing plate/hub replacement job next time around. And no, I don't fool around with the problematic EZ Lube thing!...
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:44 AM   #12

I always hear about issues with the bearing buddies/ez lube systems but I never hear anyone say how great it is and how they are so happy they bought it.

I'm in the repack by hand camp.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
I always hear about issues with the bearing buddies/ez lube systems but I never hear anyone say how great it is and how they are so happy they bought it.

I have bearing buddies on both my tow dolly and 2 axle boat trailer.

Once a year, I raise the tires off the ground, spin them slowly while I slowly pump grease into them until the piston comes out.

So far so good, in 40,000 miles on the dolly,, I haven't had the bearing out ever and the slight bearing free play has not changed.

I am happy with them !!
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post

I had EZ Lube axles on two previous trailers and NEVER had an issue with them, but I followed their instructions. But I asl pulled the drums and did a brake and bearing inspection every 2 to 3 years, depending on the miles towed.

I really get put out at people that do not follow manufacturer's instructions and then bad mouth the product or they spread unfounded bad reports.

You will find a few people complaining on the internet, but seldom do you see reports from happy customers.

And one more time, Bearing Buddy is NOT the same thing as the EZ Lube axle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote