Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to lezmark Send a message via Yahoo to lezmark
No freeze damage - did I luck out?

Here in the DFW area we had snow for a few days and close to or below zero temps. Our trailer is in a covered but open RV storage facility on a concrete pad. With all the way below freezing temps we finally went to check out the damage today, but found none!! What a great surprise as we had not done anything to prepare and had water in the fresh tank and lines. VERY happy!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #2

Congratulations These RV's are tougher than most think.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

We blew everything down with air, drained everything all tanks , added antifreeze to p-traps .
We park ours on extended driveway by our house , had a ceramic heater inside plugged in , held around 50 degrees.
Coldest day in Lancaster Texas was -1 degrees .
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #4

Yes, but have you pressurized the system yet? If no, you should do it before you go anywhere.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Make sure you check everything carefully when you hook up to city water. Especially put a careful eyeball on the drain p-traps. They can crack when the water in them freezes, and you won't notice until you use them. The toilet valve is another weak link to inspect carefully. Pex is very tough, but the hard plastic joints can crack. If you didn't drain your water heater it may have burst. These are just suggestions of what to check. Missing a plumbing leak can get na$ty.

Hope you don't have any leaks. (We're used to the cold, and it still gets us from time to time).
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #6

I think I would go spend a night or two in the RV, and see if you have any problems. You will find them very quick when living there. Good luck.
brewbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:44 AM   #7

Temps got down to -3 here at our place south of Ft. Worth.
After November 1st each year, I blow out all water lines prior to storing our rig. With such a hard freeze, I wasn't worried. Yesterday I retrieved our rig, brought it home, and hooked up the hose. slowly I turned on the water faucet. Everything held.
My thoughts are... no water + below freezing temps = no ice

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to lezmark Send a message via Yahoo to lezmark
I guess we did luck out. My thought was wait a few days of warmer temps and if anything had frozen it would have thawed. The system pressurized and no leaks appeared, but i will look closer at the p traps next visit.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #9

Many of those plastic lines in RV take multiple cycle of freeze thaw thru the winter to cause leakage.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #10

The easiest way to look for leaks I think looking underneath the trailer after several hours of being hooked to city water. If you have a leak the city water pressure should start a drip under the trailer in few hours.

Also look under all sinks as if the trap is cracked it will drip.

I am suprised with below zero temps your trailer was ok. If it is GREAT[emoji106].
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With no heat in the RV, I would say you need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Before you head out on a trip, you need to spend a couple of nights in the RV with hook ups and make sure all is working. Also, operate on just the water pump. The strainers are known to crack.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An air pressure test would be a better option rather than water. Less to clean up if you do have a leak. Air up to 40 psi, wait a few hours, open a faucet. If you still have pressure go camping. If not recharge the system and start listening and feeling for the air leak. Save a wet test as a last resort if you can't find the leak using air.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #13

As long as there is space for the water to expand when it freezes then it will never do damage. Pex piping is more forgiving to freezing as it can expand some. I had no water in anything in mine, except for bottled water and at 8 degrees none of them froze inside the camper, sitting on the counter.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #14

I was worried about my engine block and radiator. Once we warmed up and no drips I cranked it up and let it warm up and still no drips! Whew. I haven't changed the coolant since I bought it 6 years ago. That's now in the plans.