Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My wife complains if I put 3 tablespoons of ground coffee in for 12 cups! Too strong for her.
That is classified as dirty water.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
A poster mentioned his cord didn't reach and they did without coffee the next morning.. We use one of those new chinese stainless percs,works well,too,so we don't have that problem. Cowboy coffee is the answer. As my dad taught me : In any old pot,one tablespoon of ground coffee per cup(mug) of water,bring to just a boil,a splash of cold water to settle the grounds. Strong,kinda chewy, but not bitter .
It can also be called Turkish coffee if it's a fine grind. They boil the grounds though, and they settle in the pour (mostly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
That is classified as dirty water.

Ken
Or McDonald's coffee

My advice: French Press. As long as you can boil water, and have ground/can grind coffee, it's good whether you're camping or at home. They even make plastic ones now, which I suppose will last a good while if you hand-wash them. On the other hand, I have a 10 year old Bodum made out of glass that has survived many camping trips, trailer or not.
homeyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We have one of THESE for those times when we have fire but not power. Works amazingly well, and makes great coffee.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Just picked up a 32oz aluminum insulated french press from REI. We used a glass one on our one month long trip during the 7 days with no shore power. Worked great but wife was afraid of breaking it,
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
DW doesnt drink coffee, so for me it can be a 2 cup french press (like the pic above).
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #20

I bought a travel mug that is a french press...a Bodum. Just make as you would any french press, press the plunger, flip the sip cover, and have your coffee. Coffee maker and cup are all in one unit so one less thing to wash when boondocking.
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the Better Homes and Garden sweepstakes today was a 14 cup campfire perk coffee maker.. Alas, the stupid Solve-Media captca did not work on that one so I can't win it.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you really love your coffee, there is no better coffee than a French press. You can buy them in different sizes, insulated or not insulted. , stainless steel, glass, plastic.
No power needed, and a superior cup of coffee. We've been using one for over six years. You do have to grind your coffee coarse, or it won't turn out well.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
As a teenager I went rock hounding with an old prospector. He had a 2 gal porcelain coffee pot. When we got to camp he would fill it up with water, poor in a pound of coffee, and add a rock and set in the fire pit.. I asked what’s the rock for? He said when it floats its done. We were gone over a week, he just added water and re boiled daily. It was great.
Reminds me of my FIL. I used to rockhound and hunt with him some.
His method of makeing coffee was a 3lb. coffee can on his grasshopper stove. 2/3 full of water, 2 BIG hands full of coffee ( he had BIG hands), bring it to a boil and add cold water. If you could drink it, you could drink anything.
larandshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #24

Coffee. Did somebody say coffee? I cannot live without a big mug of coffee in one of my hands, all day long. For me, I use a Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder and a AeroPress Coffee and Expresso Maker.

Hands down, makes the absolutely best coffee and expresso I have ever had. I "tabled" my two coffee makers and use this combination exclusively.

Mmmmmm.... Suh-weet....
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01zeosix
Coffee. Did somebody say coffee? I cannot live without a big mug of coffee in one of my hands, all day long. For me, I use a Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder and a AeroPress Coffee and Expresso Maker.

Hands down, makes the absolutely best coffee and expresso I have ever had. I "tabled" my two coffee makers and use this combination exclusively.

Mmmmmm.... Suh-weet....
Nice grinder! I've been looking for a good grinder and this may well be the one. Can it grind real fine? We use a very fine grind in our stovetop expresso maker.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Nice grinder! I've been looking for a good grinder and this may well be the one. Can it grind real fine? We use a very fine grind in our stovetop expresso maker.
Exact same setup I have..It will grind quite fine, you have to adjust it to suit.
rg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Just picked up a 32oz aluminum insulated french press from REI. We used a glass one on our one month long trip during the 7 days with no shore power. Worked great but wife was afraid of breaking it,
that is what I use - I love it and when we camped with my mother-in-law, she was so impressed, I bought her one too!

mine is similar to this:
Shop Bonjour Triomphe Insulated French Press, 8 cup at CHEFS.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #28

we use a perculator, 4 mugs of water, 4 tablespoons of coffee, filled the night before, in the am fire it up under high flame, when it starts to perc, make flame as low as possible and go for ten minutes,
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote