Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with a trailer so new. But things do go wrong. Your idea to go to a tandem axle will not prevent a bearing from going, but at least you will have the peace of mind of knowing you won't just drop down onto the roadway.

I would make it a point to periodically stop and inspect everything.

Happy Trails!!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #30

Going to a tandem axle just means you now have 4 that could go bad
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry for your troubles but glad it didn't end worse than it did. As I recall, just driving on the Penn Turnpike was a horrifying experience for me.

As others have said, it takes a little different mindset to operate an RV safely. We need to be looking for the unexpected and always checking and double checking everything. The forum is full of threads debating whether or not we "should have to" do these things... but wise RV'ers always do. Picking up a fairly cheap temp gun will allow you you quickly point and shoot each hub at every rest stop to make sure you don't have a developing problem.

Weight has also been mentioned a few times and one should overlook the importance of keeping within your posted limits. Make sure you've had your rig weighed fully loaded and ready for travel.

Best of luck with the new unit.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick104k View Post

LAST WEEK: with the A/C on and nothing else we attempted to use the microwave and it tripped the 30 amp breaker outside at the pole - several times. So now to use the microwave we have to turn the A/C off. Please note I had the maintenance department here check the breakers outside and there is no problem; When camping in VA with this unit this was never an issue.

We have no way of knowing if this is an issue with the campground outlet, your cord not plugged in well, with your water heater being on electric or not, what the weather was, etc. This may not be an issue with the trailer itself.

Our greatest concern at this time is that the integrity of the unit itself may have been compromised due to the possibility of water damage which greatly affects the worthiness of the infrastructure of the unit itself as well as resale/trade value.

I doubt it has. Water has to sit in a trailer over a long period of time in a humid environment to really do structural damage.

ANOTHER POSSIBLE SERIOUS ISSUE: WHEN WE TURN ON THE KITCHEN LIGHT OVER THE SINK, THE LIGHT UNDER THE STOVE VENT HOOD, OR THE OVERHEAD LIGHT JUST OUTSIDE THE BATHROOM, A WHIRRING NOISE EMINATES FROM THE BREAKER BOX SET BELOW THE REFRIGERATOR. ACCORDINGLY, WE ARE AFRAID TO USE THESE LIGHTS.

This could be the converter fan running. Have you been instructed on how it works and that it has a cooling fan?

The local Evergreen dealer also told us he would not work on the unit until after Labor day and would need it for up to a week or more. This IS NOT an option. WE CANNOT DROP IT OFF MORE TGHAN 60 MILES AWAY FOR ANY TIME PERIOD AND BE LITERALLY HOMELESS.

I wonder, is this unit warranted for "full time" use? I wouldn't have mentioned you are living in it. Not all "RVs" are meant for that, hence the name "RV."
I replied in red.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #33

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriandmark View Post
would a double axle rig be "safer" on the road if the same bearing failure would occur to one wheel.? when i bought the ascend 191RB i could not help but wonder if i should not have purchased a double axle unit, but my wife preferred the smaller unit. It just seemed to me a more stable setup in general to have 2 axles.
Don't blame the decision on the wife. That is a marriage limiting move. But, yes dual axles are safer than single, but are mostly put on larger rigs than need two to carry the load.

Downside is more hubs to maintain and more tires to buy.. All in all, you will be fine if you keep the hubs properly lubed.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
I don't understand "The wheel was already separating from the axle" All axles are not the same and understand that. Most common i think is the axle has a flange that is part of the axle assembly and the wheel is bolted to the flange. How was the separation happening. Not doubting just trying to learn.
Mike

Tags
element, ever-lite, evergreen, everlite, i-go