Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
You have no data to back that assertion. Aside from a couple pin box issues posted, I don't see anything else. My trailer doesn't have a pin box btw so thats a bit of a moot point. As an owner of a metal fab shop, the Northwood frames look much better than all the Lippert ones I've seen.

Cheers
Ahhhh very good. Where's your data (not marketing BS) that says I'm wrong.

Are you CWB? I was both 47.1 and 47.2

I go to the trade shows and climb under the trailers. I see the same bubble gum/down hand welds on both Outdoor and Lippert frames.

Here's one is more. More than a couple trailers

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 19V708000
Outdoors RV Manufacturing "ORV" is recalling certain 2019-2020 Trail Series MTN TRX 22TRX toyhauler travel trailers. The axles may be incorrectly mounted too far forward, potentially causing light tongue weight on the tow vehicle.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 07:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post

I go to the trade shows and climb under the trailers. I see the same bubble gum/down hand welds on both Outdoor and Lippert frames.

Outdoors RV Manufacturing "ORV" is recalling certain 2019-2020 Trail Series MTN TRX 22TRX toyhauler travel trailers. The axles may be incorrectly mounted too far forward, potentially causing light tongue weight on the tow vehicle.
You're the one making the claim, it's up to you to prove it. A missplaced axle is hardly proof of anything. ORV frames are larger dimensionally, use thicker materials, have added gussetts, camber welds and flush mount A frames.....all these things are easily seen by anyone with a clue.

I'm a trained welder, my daughter is a ticketed welder and my best friend is a boilermaker/pressure vessel welder who periodically works for me. We've built several trailers from scratch and have modified dozens more. I'll concede that ORV's welding isn't great; it's no better or worse than what I've seen on the lippert stuff....it's the materials and design that makes the Northwood frames better and that just the frame.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post

It only affected 30 or less TRX's. Thats not that a big deal IMO. And it had nothing to do with the structural integrity of the frame.
https://auto-recalls.justia.com/outd...000/index.html

Considering how many trailers they've made and how many issues have popped up I wouldn't be concerned about having a frame issue they way I would with a Lippert.

I've been welding off and on since 1969 in high school. I've been certified many times. I've welded on many high rises and and other commercial jobs so I know what a good weld is and what a bad weld is. I agree with Dave that ORV's welds don't look great but as long as the penetration is sufficient then it will hold. I also know that ORV uses thicker materials when building their frames and suspensions. Something that you won't always find in Elkhart trailers.

Seriously what's the total so far for frame failures? -30 for the TRX and a handful of GP 5ers.
I was also a member on the NW forum when we had our NW Fox Mountain for 6 years. In that time I only read a couple times about a frame issue. I have also never read about NW having cracked sidewalls on the 5ers like all the major brands can have.
I'll gladly take an ugly but sufficient weld that's holding two superior materials together vs an ugly sufficient weld that's holding two lesser materials together.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:51 AM   #60

Lol. Im still here, still reading, and still researching.

Just found out I have to dump a few thousand into my semi next month so plans are on hold till probably December. Some prices should go down that time of year as well.

I did find a few used prospects on Craigslist for low dollar amounts. They are older trailers and are usually sold before I can go take a look at them. Ill need a few hours to go over the trailer and before I even go look I need to see the manufacturers plate. A lot of people dont post them as part of their picture selection.

Ive found that the Jayco Jay Flight SLX has a lot of what Im looking for. Comfortible

for a rainy day and mainly outside camping. But I see a lot of reviews saying they are falling apart after a few trips of normal use. Staples and particle board. A few thousand used, sure. New, no way, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the posts. Ill keep reading and keep checking out the trailers suggested.
THeGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #61

KIT Companion TT

Anyone know anything about Kit Manufacturing?
An opportunity to buy a 22' 1989 Companion has come up for under $5000. Im going to take a look at it this weekend. Seems to be one owner. Looks well up kept from the pictures. I already told the seller that Ill be there for a while looking it over. Hes even got original owners manuals.

Being said, there is almost no information about these TT on the net. Link to company - History of Kit Manufacturing Co. – FundingUniverse But I believe they sold the brand in the 2000's. I know its under 4000lbs dry. However, since its out of business anything broken may have to be fabricated blind.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/rvs/7544456261.html

Now dont anyone buy it out from under me!!!!
Old 10-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #62

You are right; not much info out there. I've had two Kits; a 1973 16' and a 1995 24' Companion bunk model. Both were well built in the traditional fashion and I had no real issues with either for the few years I owned them.

Dave
Old 10-19-2022, 10:37 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME View Post
Anyone know anything about Kit Manufacturing?
... However, since its out of business anything broken may have to be fabricated blind.
No more than any other, I suspect retrofitting newer accessories into an older model will be the biggest trick.

As I remember, Kit was relatively well thought of.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:09 AM   #64

Wow guys. I never thought it would be so hard to buy a TT on craigslist.

First one I was going to look at cant give me any info after supposedly being the only owner, and the second pretty much said "I dont have the time to allow you to inspect it". Neither were even prepared to hook up ground power. Too bad. Both were pretty close to what I was looking for. Sure they were selling for under $5g, but both trailers were over 30yrs old.

Anyway, the search goes on!
Old 10-30-2022, 07:01 AM   #65

Hi Guys!
I stumbled on a 2008 Northwood Nash 19B. $14,900
Went and looked at it yesterday, bought it and brought it home 120miles and nothing fell apart. Handled great behind the F150. I comes pretty close to what I was looking for. It was manufactured in 2007, before the down spin of the company. 4 season sealed.

Only two owners, both one family due a member passing away. Meticulously maintained, low mileage. Used maybe 6 times. Upgraded with solar. Everything in it works, looks near new. No water damage as far as I can tell, looked everywhere possible without tearing up the floor. New tires w/spare, brakes. Came with receiver lock, full cover, tire covers, voltage regulator, sewage dump hose and flush hose. Two 7gal propane tanks, two deep cell battery's. They also threw in cleaning supplies and the caulking they were using, both RV/Marine grade. Lol, they went around searching for stuff to give for it.

Only thing I didnt like was that the roof is a little green from being in the shade too long. It happens in their area of rain forrest. Its been stored in a aircraft hanger most of the time and has only been out about a month. However, it wiped off with a finger, so it isnt embedded. Other than that the roof is well sealed and not sagging or bubbling anywhere.

I pretty much spent the day with them. The husband of the woman who owned it runs a seaplane service off Lake Whatcom in WA State. He got all the tools! They have been doing all the maintenance needed. The owner clearly did not want to sell it, and was proudly showing off everything, including walking out with all of the manuals for it. They said cascading events (08 financial crises, serious illness, invalid parents, covid) never left them time to use it more than a temporary mother in law home on the property to get here out of the house for a change of pace. I believe them. They are also up there in years and finally just said no time to use it and someone should. So they sold it.

Side note: They also have a small landing strip on the property so I got to watch a small plane land for storage and see them prep and launch a sea plane into the lake and watch it take off! All on their property. Pretty neat!

Anyway, hope to get at least 5ys out of it, and it looks like it could go another 15. Wish me luck!
Old 10-30-2022, 08:32 PM   #66

Good luck! sounds like a great trailer.

��