Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 11:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Around -10C . People aren't typically shy when complaining IME.....my 25RDS is 31'2" OAL. I'll let you know when it starts to fall apart, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Cheers.

What size I beam did they use on the 25RDS?
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
What size I beam did they use on the 25RDS?
8" On all Timber Ridge series IIRC.

Dave
Old 09-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #45

We've seen people pulling down FS roads doing 40 when we're creeping along at 5 mph and having an uncomfortable time at that speed. Our ORV has held up well for 5 years but I don't pretend it's an expedition trailer. It just takes us a loooong time to get anywhere very far out of the way.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #46

Quote:
8" On all Timber Ridge series IIRC.

Dave
Yep 8", and the TRX is 10", and heavy. You're right, if there were a lot of delamination issues it would be well known news since as you mentioned, people aren't shy about posting complaints on the net.
mto502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
We've seen people pulling down FS roads doing 40 when we're creeping along at 5 mph and having an uncomfortable time at that speed. Our ORV has held up well for 5 years but I don't pretend it's an expedition trailer. It just takes us a loooong time to get anywhere very far out of the way.
Well said; the ORV is just a higher quality standard TT, it is not an expedition rig and if you take one rock crawling, it would self destruct.

The combo of the better frame, good tires, more ground clearance, suspension and shocks makes an ORV a better choice for light off pavement duty than most other trailers in the class/price point.

Dave
Old 09-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #48

Quote:
Well said; the ORV is just a higher quality standard TT, it is not an expedition rig and if you take one rock crawling, it would self destruct.

The combo of the better frame, good tires, more ground clearance, suspension and shocks makes an ORV a better choice for light off pavement duty than most other trailers in the class/price point.

Dave

Why is the frame better?
Old 09-27-2022, 09:14 AM   #49

Quote:
Why is the frame better?
Chiming in with my 2 cents even though you asked Dave, I've seen quite a few reports of cracking Lippert frames. Lippert make generic frames that are used in all RV's. ORV make their own frames specific to each model and I haven't seen any reports of cracks. ORV add gussets giving better support where Lippert doesn't, plus I believe they just make them beefier than Lippert.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Why is the frame better?
Yeah, basically what mto502 said; in addition to the heavier/stronger materials, gussetting and built-in camber, they are also unique to the particular model they are built for which allows for better and larger tank placement. ORV's tend to have much larger tank capacities which was a big draw for me with most models being 80 - 100 gallons of FW. Northwoods makes the frames for ORV, Arctic Fox and Nash.

Dave
Old 09-27-2022, 09:39 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mto502 View Post
Chiming in with my 2 cents even though you asked Dave, I've seen quite a few reports of cracking Lippert frames. Lippert make generic frames that are used in all RV's. ORV make their own frames specific to each model and I haven't seen any reports of cracks. ORV add gussets giving better support where Lippert doesn't, plus I believe they just make them beefier than Lippert.
Extra gussets where?

https://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/video-factory-tour/

There's been a number of Outdoor 5th that have cracked.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Extra gussets where?

https://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/video-factory-tour/

There's been a number of Outdoor 5th that have cracked.
At the shackles, or the same area the Lippert's crack.

This picture shows E-rated tires. The TRX (27 and 29, not sure about the 24) comes with Goodyear commercial grade 14 ply G rated tires.

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content...er-Chassis.pdf

I haven't read about any cracking frames but if you say it has happened with their 5th wheels I'll take your word on it. In the pic I posted it does say "integrated A frame" but only on their travel trailers, so I don't know anything about their 5th wheels.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mto502 View Post
At the shackles, or the same area the Lippert's crack.

This picture shows E-rated tires. The TRX (27 and 29, not sure about the 24) comes with Goodyear commercial grade 14 ply G rated tires.

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content...er-Chassis.pdf

I haven't read about any cracking frames but if you say it has happened with their 5th wheels I'll take your word on it. In the pic I posted it does say "integrated A frame" but only on their travel trailers, so I don't know anything about their 5th wheels.
Yep, I have zero doubts that the Northwoods frame is superior to the Lippert frame. There are no widespread issues with Northwoods frames cracking - I spend quite a bit of time on various ORV groups and it's just not an issue. I'm not saying a Northwoods frame has never failed (I do recall one older unit that had a problem) but it certainly isn't common.....by any stretch.

Dave
Old 09-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #54

ORV has had GP frame issues in the past.https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/gla...me-466411.html
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/gla...ll-306222.html
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Being the biggest it's easy to point the finger at Lippert that make 10's of thousands of frames a year.

If you compared the percentage of failures Outdoors is up there with Lippert.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/crac...ll-513244.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/lat...ue-594341.html
Old 09-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Being the biggest it's easy to point the finger at Lippert that make 10's of thousands of frames a year.

If you compared the percentage of failures Outdoors is up there with Lippert.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/crac...ll-513244.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/lat...ue-594341.html
You have no data to back that assertion. Aside from a couple pin box issues posted, I don't see anything else. My trailer doesn't have a pin box btw so thats a bit of a moot point. As an owner of a metal fab shop, the Northwood frames look much better than all the Lippert ones I've seen.

Cheers