Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 05:50 AM   #1

Not for the PNW?

Hello out there!

New to the forum, and Im about to make my first TT purchase!
In general, looking for a 20 - 25ft for two people. Hardy enough to boon-dock, but with enough comfort so you arent just pretending you arent in a tent, lol. Not above going new, and Ive read what to look for if going used.

So my question for all of you wonderful people: Are there manufacturers of travel trailers out there that arent necessarily bad (although Id like to know that as well), but just not rugged enough to handle years in the Pacific Northwest. For example, a TT may last decades in Arizona, but start falling apart after a year in PWN weather and terrain.

Not trying to put down any ones equipment, and there are always exceptions. I just think looking for brands to avoid is a shorter list than looking for every ones favorite, lol.

Thanks for reading, and the advice!
Looking forward to future discussions!
Mark
THeGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 06:34 AM   #2

IMO, having rebuilt dozens of campers of virtually every make, I can see no difference manufacturing or materials.

The lone improvement over the years would be AZDEL siding.

What makes one model cost more than another is the finish accoutrements.

Owning an RV is almost a constant maintenance project.

If you plan on taking your rig over road a lot, beefing up the spring shackles & suspension upgrades would be a good idea.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #3

Welcome aboard!
Old 09-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #4

There can be quite a difference in materials, engineering and construction though I wouldn't say worst to best is as big a difference as your example (1yr vs. decades).

If you want quality (in the context of travel trailers); pick a quality brand and be forewarned that each and every brand can and will have some issues AND that every brand uses basically the same appliances and other bolt on components.

Brands I would look at if I was in the market again;
- Arctic Fox, Nash
- Outdoors RV
- Lance
- Bigfoot

There are a few others; Airstream, Black Series, etc. that are also better quality but they are in a completely different price bracket.

Things on my ORV that are better than the generic brands;
- frame is stronger and has a flush tongue, it's reinforced, gusseted and is designed for the trailer allowing larger tanks with proper placement. Better than the standard Lippert frame
- thicker sidewalls/better foam
- standard double pane windows
- heated and enclosed tanks
- radius roof
- finished slide bottom
- plywood only, no particle board
- wood screw inserts in aluminum framework
- Moreride 3000 suspension
- Bilstein shocks
- Goodyear Endurance tires
- etc.

If you take a look underneath and in the closets, under the beds, etc. it quickly becomes clear the difference between the top brands and the worst brands. Maybe because I'm in the construction industry and a tradesman, these things were more obvious to me but once I started pointing them out to my wife, she started noticing them too.

My advice would be to pick a brand you trust, a layout that will work and then go from there; don't be swayed by the cabinet or counter cover and gimmicky stuff.

I'd much rather have a used quality unit than a brand new cheapy. Lastly, expect that your RV ownership will involve hands on repairs and maintenance over time, regardless of brand - failure to recognize that is the #1 reason people get disillusioned with their RV's IMO.

good luck,
Dave
Old 09-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #5

Just saw this elsewhere; seems I'm not the only one with a similar list. (Northwoods makes Arctic Fox and Nash). https://letsrv.com/best-4-season-tra...UqHxam8fWTNYec
Old 09-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #6

I can see only one rounded roof edge on ORV trailers. 3 roof edges are essentially square.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I can see only one rounded roof edge on ORV trailers. 3 roof edges are essentially square.
I said radiused roof; i.e. the roof isn't flat...the only trailets I can recall that have radiused corners are moulded fiberglass

Dave
Old 09-11-2022, 11:33 PM   #8

Airstreams are radius.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Airstreams are radius.
haha; yes they are....in fact, they are nothing but radius!

Dave
Old 09-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #10

We purchased a 2016 Aspen Trail 1900 RB, Not only do we love the layout, but with the tandem wheels, It has a large cargo capacity.. Wife and I have used it many times over the last 5 years and have not been disappointed at all. We had minimal warranty problems the first year and that was it.. Loaded with all our goodies including propane and full fresh water tank it weighs in at 6,600 lbs and is easily towed by our Silverado 1500.
The rear bath is opposite the rear entry door and very convenient.
It is comfortable, simple and reliable.
IMHO
Safe travels
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #11

you mention about the small size 20-25' and not enough room for boondocking. i know there is a lot of negativity about slides BUT you might look into a trailer with one. we, just two of us have a 27' with the 14' slide it makes a HUGE difference in room inside. a 25' even with a small slide will make a big difference.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #12

If you have some time, cruise through the videos on the ORV website. ORVs are too big and beefy for my needs, but they are built in the Northwest with boondocking in mind.

If ORV made a twelve foot trailer (like my Fun Finder X-139), I would buy that one.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:43 PM   #13

Regardless of the brand, regular maintenance is the key, and even better, a covered place to store your RV. We lived in the Pacific NorthWet and owned various types and brands of RVs and all held up well. I always did a roof inspection, cleaning and touch-up twice a year, once at the end of the season before storage, and once at the start of the season, and I always do a quick look whenever I'm up there. Same with other possible leak points. I do my own oil changes and service and take that opportunity to roll around underneath with a bright flashlight and do an inspection. While doing my last oil change I spotted a failing tail pipe hanger on my generator. I'm also looking it over for pest entry spots too. I found places where once sound factory foaming has broken loose making an entry hole for a curious critter. I do my best to keep it clean too.

A tip: The more you inspect your rig, the more familiar you will become with it, and the more likely you'll spot something that doesn't look right. Keep an eye out for broken or loose fasteners.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:24 AM   #14

Live in the PNW & have a Lance 2285.
6 years now & only real maintenance is had to reseal skylights last year. Stored outside, no cover.
First year, had 15 inches of snow on it. No issues.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote