Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #15

I'm thinking you'll mostly get +++ here because the ones that gave it up probably aren't on the forum.

Are you good with your hands? With tools? Can you problem solve? Do you have duct tape? Lol

You've shown the first sign of a good rv-er just by being able to ask questions. Best of luck. We love it.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #16

Most camping parks have cabins u can rent, just a thought
spud60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #17

The RV camping life is not for everyone. Make sure you try camping in both the commercial RV Parks and Campgrounds and the more rustic natural campgrounds in state and national parks. There are also great camping waterfront spots with a lot of privacy at Corps of Engineers (COE) campgrounds. It may turn out that you like the commercial campgrounds but if my family had never tried the more natural non-commercial campgrounds at State and National Park campgrounds we would have abandoned the RV camping scene in short order. We did not like the tight spaces and lack of privacy at the "Disney-style" campgrounds. Now my wife and I only camp at lakefront sites with plenty of privacy...these sites have water available but few have electric hook-ups. We added a quiet "inverter" type generator to our camping equipment to compensate for the lack of electric. We enjoy our "creature comforts" that the RV provides while also enjoying the natural settings. Add a canoe or kayak to your equipment to take advantage of the lakefront setting!...perfect!!!

The RV Travel Trailer has allowed thousands of families the ability to explore more natural settings at an affordable price than anyone can ever calculate. There is nothing like sleeping in your own bed every night no matter where you are!

Happy Camping!
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #18

I suggest you and your family start looking at a lot of RVs, pop up trailers, hybrid trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes. Survey the costs of new and used units. Then, determine what will work with your budget....make sure you know what your vehicle will tow OR the cost of a new/used tow vehicle.

You have to determine what minimum items you want....very important in terms of having toilet facilities and/or a shower. Can you deal with wet bunkends that need to be dryed out when you get home if you have a pop-up or hybrid trailer.

In our case, we started with a used pop-up back in 1988 when our boys were 4 & 8. We were both teachers, so the income didn't allow for an expensive purchase and a pop-up was a very affordable solution. My wife was happy as long as beds were high & dry. We camped in a lot of NY state campgrounds, and we didn't mind using public toilets/showers although we did have a port-a-potty for when it was needed. We upgraded from a 8' box, to 10' and finally a 12' box which we kept for 10 years. We did a lot of camping and traveling in our pop-ups....made it out to Mount Rushmore and other states including Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. As the boys were headed to college, we bought a 29' travel trailer which we used for 10 years, and now we have our 26'9" Minnie which serves our budget and travel needs.

If I were starting out today, I would probably want either a pop-up or hybrid that has a toilet & shower. Camping has become very popular, so a lot of facilities aren't always maintained to the degree that I would want my family to have to use them. Hybrids can have a lot of room for sleeping but still be towed with a larger SUV or 1/2 ton truck. Larger pop-ups may not be that less costly and weigh nearly as much. There's a lot to be said for the feeling of sleeping in a tent and enjoying the fresh air (as long as it's not too hot!).

If you can't store an rv at home or have place where you can let it dry out for a day or so after returning with wet bunkends, then a self contained travel trailer will be the least costly solution. For a bit more, fifth wheel trailers offer some advantages but as you get bigger, you're looking at a 3/4 ton pick up for a tow vehicle.

Then, you can always look at motorhomes.

For your first purchase, consider buying something slightly used because if you decide to sell it (whether you don't like rving or want something different), you should be able to minimize any financial loss. And, you need to camp and travel for a year or so to see what you would really like to have and what you don't need. I'd rather have a more modest rig and be able to travel than have a rig I can't afford to take out whenever I want to.

Although the suggestions for renting an RV is a good one, I'm not sure whether it is that easy to rent a pop-up, hybrid, TT or FW. If you are considering a Class C or motor home, than renting one first is definitely a good idea.

Finally...learn ahead of time all of the things you need to know about towing....determining what vehicle can safely tow. You have to be very careful about advertised towing capacities i.e. my Tundra can technically tow 10,000 lbs. but the payload capacity drops that figure to 7,500 or so. I'm towing around 6,400 lbs. and wouldn't want to tow any more weight unless I were to upgrade to a 3/4 ton pick-up truck.

Take your time, and I hope it works out for you!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's not just about the $$$. How many weeks or times a year do you vacation? Do you like different types of vacations? You can rent a MH or have a TT set up at a CG. You can have a packer take you back in on horses and really camp. You can go to a lodge and fish, hike and all the rest. Getting an RV just so you can get out into nature is not needed. When you have your own, you have all the good and also the bad of RV ownership. Better sit down with the family and make some lists, good and bad, then decide. It's about making the the most out of your time, desire and $$. Just have fun.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #20

Since you live close to the New York border you might consider checking out this website: wwwcampadk.com. You did say your family loved nature. This site features pictures of all individual campsites in the campgrounds operated by the New York State Parks system and also most of the campgrounds operated by the Department of Enviromental Conservation. Most are on beautiful unspoiled lakes in the Adirondack Park's wilderness. These are my favorite places to park my RV for a week or a weekend. Many are close to your location and might be an excellent choice for a weekend trip.

Happy Camping.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
As Boomster said, it's not for everyone. I used to think people that spent their money on these things were foolish. I have changed my mind on that one. I love to fly fish with my sons. I love to meet up with my daughter and son-in-law with their trailer... that used to be ours. I love to go to model sailplane contests and have my own place... sometimes right at the flying field. And I love to just get out in nature. Most of these things can be done from a hotel room... but it's not nearly as much fun, and you can't stay out there and enjoy it to the fullest.

So, in February, I spent 7 days in Arizona at a model competition... 2K miles for the round trip. I took my guitar, and stayed at the field, and had a hoot of a time. There were other musicians and we had camp fires every night. Last Sunday ( before Easter) my 2 grown sons and I spent 3 days fly fishing in Oklahoma. We had the best camp site we've ever had, and will be back there for subsequent trips. Now for the down side... I have spent the last couple of little trips to the storage place cleaning up the trailer for our next outing. I scrubbed the bathroom and kitchen, including the fridge, so my wife won't feel compelled to clean the whole trip instead of enjoying the company of our children and grandchildren. It's gotta be fun for her, too... I am about to buy tires for it and I will take it to a truck wash because it is really dirty from the last 2 trips. It's a lot of trouble, but the memories we make are more than worth all of that to me...

We'll soon be in our third travel trailer. A bit more than 4 1/2 years ago, we had no grandchildren... and now we have 6! I am thinking that there will be lots of opportunity to take them for a few days at a time... and again... the memories will be worth it... all of it...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marperb View Post
Hello, i'm uncertain about buying our first rv. We live in montreal and love the outdoors, family of 4 with 2 kids (9&6). Any comments from new and experienced rvers? Much appreciated. Thanks,
best memory's ever...we used to camp all the time in a 22' jamboree
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	285307_221566944546950_6243808_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	90727  
Attached Images

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
For our family, and I assume many on the forum, it is more of a lifestyle than just a hobby.

My wife and I had some great mentors early on in our marriage and they got us hooked on RVing. We bought our first RV which was a Northland 10.5' truck camper when our son was just two years old. We had that for two years and then sold and bought our first motorhome when he was four and have had a total of three motorhomes now in the past 20~ish years.

The memories created are, as they say "priceless". I relish on my son telling either his friends or replaying trips over that we have taken. Best decision we ever made. We have been all over the western U.S. and parts of Canada all as a family.

Now for the opposite, we had some good friends(neighbors) that saw how much we were gone with our RV so they decided to buy a motorhome to travel with us. They did not have any children at the time but they traveled with us for about three or four years before they had their first child. After child #1 was born, they still went out once in a while with us but they commented about how difficult it was with a child. I guess they forgot that our son was with us everywhere we went. When their second child come along their RV very seldom ever left the driveway. We talked them into going with us to Mt. Rushmore when their youngest was four or five years old and upon our return they gave up RVing and sold it because it was too much alone time with their kids as they put it. And YES, their kids were a handful.

Now our son is 23 and still enjoys going with us on occassion when not working or other plans. Their kids are in their mid-to late teens and they don't want anything to do with their parents. Any coincidence? You tell me.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As Canadians we are blessed with many secluded picturesque campsites for the times you want to get away and see nature. As the owner of a trailer/rv of any type you will have it at your disposal for use as a less expensive way to visit some of the vacation hot spots like March break in Florida. We started with young kids a long long time ago and still camp now as seniors. We appreciate our own beds and ability to prepare our own food. As suggested rent or borrow for a few weekends and see if the lifestyle works for your family. Bonne chance!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #25

I can tell you that I started to camp over 50 years ago with my parents and 2 older brothers. We camp, fish and boat all my childlife and enjoy those memories today. Then 27 years ago I continue to camp with my DW and finally purchased a popup in 2000. We continue to camp several times a year in the Rockies with the family. Both my kids were camping in tents from the time they were about 8 weeks old. Now having a full size TT our family travels a few times a year.

I would recommend that you rent a RV for a 3 day+ weekend. Do some research to find a RV park that will have great family things you can to do with the entire family.
You will start family memories which will last a lifetime. If they enjoy it then move forward to another spot and buy a RV. Depends on the state you live in and what type of RV is near by.

There several avenues of "RVing" from larger motor homes, larger --> smaller travel trailers or popups. All depends on your budget and your family.

My kids now 16 & 17 look forward to these family trips and help with the planning. We each have our own jobs in the setup/packing which makes everything so much
easier for everyone.

Enjoy.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #26

If you can handle dumping human extrement.

Then the rest is pretty much a breeze...

In my humble opinion.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:09 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
If you can handle dumping human extrement.

Then the rest is pretty much a breeze...

In my humble opinion.
Hopefully downwind though
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 AM   #28

Your body dumps human extrement every day.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving