Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #1

Now that my truck is ordered...question on TT size limits.

Looking at some Cougar and Imagine TT's. I guy I have been talking to in Pa mentioned to me that some parks restrict the overall size of TT's they will accept. Is there a standard size that reduces park options?

BTW...I am zoned in on TT's between 22-25ft which would make the overall length around 28-29ft. Are these too big for some parks?

Thanks for helping this beginner out.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #2

No. Not too big. If it's an older park or a park where land is at a premium, you may have to back in and unhitch and park your truck elsewhere, but the trailer will fit.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #3

More info would help. What truck did you order. If you’re starting from scratch, the usual order would be to pick a trailer and then get a tow vehicle to match.

Pick a floor plan that suits your needs. How many people will usually be using it? Kids, pets more than 2 adults? Solo camper?

As far as size goes, a “25’” camper will almost certainly get you into any camp site except those that are pop up or tent only. My 25’ airstream is just under 27’ in total length. It easily has fit in sites designated as 20’ max length.

Hope that helps.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #4

Depends what you are doing and where you plan to stay but certainly the larger you go, the more limited your options. My advice is to go as small as you are comfortable with - I had a 25' max line in the sand (a real 25' not the box length) so my ORV 21RBS fit the bill at 24'10" OAL.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

...also, if you've already ordered a truck, pay close attention to the max trailer sizes and weights you should be looking at since most manufacturers and most RV dealers lie about the TV capabilities/requirements.

And people get confused by looking at "max tow ratings" which, for the most part, are ficticious and far beyond what your truck will actually tow due to limitations with GVWR, payload and GAWR's.

Dave
Old 09-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #6

Most any park will let you in. Especially the size you are asking about. They want your $$$ so they will squeeze you in somewhere.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #7

Have a 20' truck and 34' 5th wheel.
FTd for 7 yrs all over the USA
Never found a place we couldn't get in or wasn't allowed in
Some were tight but we fit

Biggest issue was entrance/roadways inside the campgrounds.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #8

Now that my truck is ordered...question on TT size limits.

The OP ordered a F350 SRW, with the diesel.

Personally, I think your 22 to 25’ is a good size, and will get you into most State, and National Parks.

USFS campgrounds are older, and smaller, and will have issues with those.

Ours is 23’ overall, and just barely fit into some of those sites, and sometimes we fit but can’t get the slide out. We don’t do the commercial RV parks along our route, but opt to have a camping experience, even when we are going to our destination.

With all the new RV owners out there, it has gotten really competitive to find sites at many of the popular destinations. They all get booked on the day, and the minute they are released. The larger sites are the most desired, and the more sites you don’t fit in, the more of a challenge it will be.

This will differ from who you talk to, and where they go.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #9

Thanks, then it sounds like the TV won't be a determining factor in the trailer sizes he's looking at. Nice.

Dave
Old 09-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #10

I've had major issues getting our ORV 21RWS into national forest or park sites. But since the last bad experience I've bought a Ryobi polesaw! Problem solved!