Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Odd switch cover?

Do anyone know what's the use for the cover switch in a master bedroom is use for ?

Dutchman classic 360 1994
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16346631380335992448744307787407.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	346518  
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Best guess would be a termination box for a roof air conditioner pre wire .

Have you had the cover plate off , to see what's behind it?
Old 10-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #3

YEP......
Pre wired for 2nd A/C Unit
120VAC wiring inside that blank cover plate
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #4

Odd this is a 30amp camper ?? How can two acs work?

also can this be turned into a 50amp?
Old 10-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

You either:
manage the ACs usage to just one at a time;
convert yer breaker panel to 50A; or
wire the 2nd AC wires to a separate 12AWG cable and plug it into the 20A receptacle on the pedestal.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
You either:
manage the ACs usage to just one at a time;
convert yer breaker panel to 50A; or
wire the 2nd AC wires to a separate 12AWG cable and plug it into the 20A receptacle on the pedestal.
So how can I convert 30 into 50? Do I remove all the wires and replace it all by the wall panels or something??
Old 10-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #7

You replace circuit breaker box, auto transfer switch, power cord, and any wiring between them.

The new breaker box will have a double 50 amp breaker.

You go from 10 Guage to 6 gauge wiring.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #8

Ah okay, well I'm not sure if I can do it but I can try.. do I have to also replace the wires from the main walls ?
Old 10-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Ah okay, well I'm not sure if I can do it but I can try.. do I have to also replace the wires from the main walls ?
Just reading the thread on this, I would suggest from your electrical skill level, if you want to upgrade your 30 amp to 50 amp that you hire it done.

Most of the cost is going to be parts anyway. You'll need a dedicated RV 50 amp breaker box, you'll need to upgrade the transfer switch, as well as the lines from the transfer switch to the distribution panel, the power cord will need to be upgraded. Also depending on where your power converter is, you may need to change or upgrade. Sometimes they are part of the distribution panel, sometimes they are stand alone.

No, you will not change any wires in the wall. That would require tearing the walls out. All you will be able to do upgrading from 30 amp to 50 amp is to add more circuits. In this case primarily a second AC. You may also be able, if you can't right now, run all of your circuits at once. Many 30 RV's if you try to run the microwave, the AC and somebody starts a hair dryer, even though each of these are on a separate circuit, will blow the main.

In reality, If I could not live with a 30 amp RV, I would trade it for a 50 Amp RV. Probably cheaper in the long run.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
YEP......
Pre wired for 2nd A/C Unit
120VAC wiring inside that blank cover plate
Yup, and my guess would be that behind the distribution panel there is a dead end unattached wire that could be traced up to that junction box.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
My old RV has a generator with two outputs... a 35 amp one for the coach, and a 25 amp one that is wired to the second air conditioner. I installed a 20 amp plug and outlet in that line, with the outlet to the generator and the plug on the A/C. I can use a 20 amp extension cord to plug the 2nd A/C into a second pedestal outlet.

Quote:
That would require some serious effort to rewire the RV. The existing 30 amp panel has one circuit breaker buss, a 50 amp panel would have two.
You'll be replacing the shore power cord, the transfer switch, installing a new breaker box, and all the wiring between them. In my case I'll be replacing the converter, since it's part of the 30 amp breaker panel.

Mike
Old 10-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #12

IF you install that second A/C Unit in bedroom....

Run Living room one or bedroom one

**After one is up and running you can try to run other one
Fridge on propane, water heater on propane....no Microwave unless you shut one down....no hair dryers etc

Just a little AC Power Management and you can use both A/C Units on 30A
Or use one at a time

50A Rewire....
New Power cord/new inlet connection, new #6 wire (4) from inlet to Main AC Panel (or transfer box if you have generator)
New AC Power Panel...double 50A Main CBs...reconnect all of the Individual CBs. ETC

Materials not too expensive...hiring a RV Knowledgeable Electrician could be $$$$
Is it worth it???
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:09 AM   #13

Have you pulled the cover off yet to see what's in there?
AC wiring is normally accessible when the vent is removed for the 2nd AC install. I doubt a manufacturer would run the wire needed on a 30 amp coach.
On the other hand who knows what the clowns do. An employee may have punched a hole in the panel and that was the cheapest way to correct it.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Have you pulled the cover off yet to see what's in there?
AC wiring is normally accessible when the vent is removed for the 2nd AC install. I doubt a manufacturer would run the wire needed on a 30 amp coach.
On the other hand who knows what the clowns do. An employee may have punched a hole in the panel and that was the cheapest way to correct it.
You could be right on the errant hole created, it seems to be a distance from the vent.

On our 30A Thor, we have the blank cover beside the vent with a sticker on it indicating it has been wired for an AC AND they installed a thermostat (2nd) in the bedroom... at the moment it does nothing.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, switch