Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree! A gravel road is still a road. I've driven thousands of miles on gravel roads, some better than blacktop or concrete. Others, especially coming out of a turn, have such 'washboard' from hopping suspension as folks apply power that I doubt many vehicles can travel on it without sustaining some damage. Drivers might modify their driving for the road conditions as they experience it in the vehicle they're in, but they won't know how the trailer is coping with it until they stop.

Off road to me is a trail best handled by my hiking boots.
Talk about washboard. We've been to the Steens twice now. The 1st time was no problem. The 2nd time there was really bad wash boarding. I had to slow way down. About 5mph. I have shocks too. What was really frustrating was as we were heading out an F150 towing a 25?' Airstream drove by us like he was on pavement. I imagine that his independent torsion axles were doing their thing. Funny thing is I bet he doesn't have a Certified Off Road Chassis sticker on it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Tow vehicle? 4x4, 1/2ton, 3/4 or 1 ton? SRW or DRW? Clearance to hitch ball when loaded on level ground?
Q1 4x4 Diesel Excursion 7.3 = 3/4 Ton SRW
Q2 About 27"
Old 12-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
So many countless hours of sorting through marketing BS in search of our TT and I'm not sold on them for off roading. One of the nicest comments I heard from other owners concerning the shocks is how well the interior contents of the trailer ride. If the contents of the trailer ride better so will the structure of the trailer ride better. Therefore the trailer will last longer? At least that is my main perception. The biggest reason that we are so focused on both the Northwood Manufacturing and the Outdoors RV is the R-value insulation package. I've seen incredible claims by certain manufactures out east of having R 57* (@ 90 degrees) with double bubble wrap and that to me was clearly marketing. The off-road comments that might be related to marketing show the RV all by it's lonesome next to some beauty of a mountain lake, and not resident at a campground.
Yes shocks help the ride. But they don't mean that automatically it's Off Road Capable. They do take some of the bounce out when going over dips and such when on the road. Most off road gravel roads aren't really that hard on a TT/5er. You're not traveling very fast and for very long.

If you want true off road capability then something like this is needed.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #18

You really need a suspension like this.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Yes shocks help the ride. But they don't mean that automatically it's Off Road Capable. They do take some of the bounce out when going over dips and such when on the road. Most off road gravel roads aren't really that hard on a TT/5er. You're not traveling very fast and for very long.

Interesting film making (extreme reality show?) footage. 99.9% RV owners likely have no interest in doing something that extreme.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Interesting film making (extreme reality show?) footage. 99.9% RV owners likely have no interest in doing something that extreme.
I agree, in the U.S.

The Kedron van is a unique Aussie product for a unique country. I've travelled in many parts of AU, 98% of the population lives near the coastline. The interior has a few paved roads, but the majority are gravel. Very few power lines in the interior, most 'stations' have their own generators. You'll notice the Ketron unit has no air conditioner. Common in AU RVs, even though the northern half of the continent is closer to the equator and hot! Because Australia is a whole continent, but only the population of Ohio and Pennsylvania together, their infrastructure isn't as extensive as the U.S. An 'off road' trailer makes more sense.

In the U.S., such an overbuilt RV would be good for the ego, but like most vehicles raised and modified, they rarely see conditions they're built for and most often just get their owners into trouble due to inexperience and bad judgement. In our region this is proved every time road conditions get bad yet many with an SUV or 4WD still drive like on dry pavement.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #21

Granted most here wouldn't do that type of off roading. And 99.9% of the RV population wouldn't want to pay for that type of trailer. Point was to show what a true off road trailer suspension should look like. Even a variance on it would make for one nice tow. Something similar to MorRydes independent setup.
Independent Suspension System - MORryde Products
Old 12-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #22

Wow, would love to have one of those Kendron trailers. That's closer to what we like to do for camping. I just hope our new Jayco holds up.
sd396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Holy crap this is wild! The wife wants me to order one right now

So many really smart ideas but if you watch the other video, you know the one where they're really off-roading, the is no doubt of really off road capable.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Granted most here wouldn't do that type of off roading. And 99.9% of the RV population wouldn't want to pay for that type of trailer. Point was to show what a true off road trailer suspension should look like. Even a variance on it would make for one nice tow. Something similar to MorRydes independent setup.
Independent Suspension System - MORryde Products
so how much?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
To ship a Kedron to the U.S. would be expensive and difficult. First, the Kedron is built to AU standards, not U.S. The entry door is on the wrong side of the trailer, 240v 50 Hz power, etc. It won't fit in a shipping container, so it has to be loaded separate, hopefully below deck on a ship.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
To ship a Kedron to the U.S. would be expensive and difficult. First, the Kedron is built to AU standards, not U.S. The entry door is on the wrong side of the trailer, 240v 50 Hz power, etc. It won't fit in a shipping container, so it has to be loaded separate, hopefully below deck on a ship.
Doors doors where we're going we don't need no doors

All good points, I wasn't serious just wondering what they nick you for it?
Old 12-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
All good points, I wasn't serious just wondering what they nick you for it?
Right now the AU dollar is worth ~$.75 US. That's up from when my daughter returned to the U.S. last year it was ~$.69. She's had to leave all the profits from selling her business over there for now. That's O.K., they pay better interest even on simple savings accounts.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Right now the AU dollar is worth ~$.75 US. That's up from when my daughter returned to the U.S. last year it was ~$.69. She's had to leave all the profits from selling her business over there for now. That's O.K., they pay better interest even on simple savings accounts.
2011 Kedron Topender condition slight scratch and dent model $95,000AU/75,200US

Tags
travel, travel trailer