Am unable to reply to this original thread, https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/choo...rs-432837.html
so starting a new one with an update.
Ended up going with the ORV 20SK and a 2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel, full crew cab.
The truck pulls the trailer fine and the trailer is well within the load rating of the truck.
The truck gets great mileage when not towing. I can get 30mpg (Imperial) on the highway. That's pretty decent for a truck.
I picked the trailer up in BC in early July 2019. Took it back to ON, then to the east coast of Canada, made my way back to the west coast and then back to NB. Had to have the axles rebent in Calgary in Jan '20. No problems with the axles since then, fortunately.
Coldest temps I had were -23/-24C with -33/-34 windchills in January '20. After stopping in ON for Christmas, made my way west going through the northern states because the temps were forecasted to be a bit better than across the prairies. They were until I got to Montana. That's where I had the ultra-cold temps for a couple nights. The furnace was coming on every 5 minutes, but I was as warm as I wanted to be. Had plenty of nights in the -17/-18C area.
When I finally had to get the unit winterized in Dec '19 on my way home for Christmas, I bought gallon jugs of water at WalMart, ran the generator for a few minutes in the mornings to boil some water, put that in the sink with some cold water and washed birdbath style. The water lines were good to about -10/-11C, lower than that and they froze.
The only time I had the waste tanks freeze was in those bitter cold days in Montana. When I got to Calgary and the rig was inside the garage for the axle work, the tanks thawed and I was able to empty them before heading further west.
The trailer came with 1 solar panel. I added a 2nd. Between the solar, charging when driving and running the generator for about an hour each night, I had no issues keeping the batteries charged.
I did buy some lithium batteries; however, wasn't able to get them installed. Some electrical work needed to be done, which I couldn't do, and the guy who was going to do it disappeared on me. Ended up buying a couple AGM batteries and replacing the original wet batteries with those. The AGM have been working fine. They can discharge lower than the standard wet lead acid, are maintenance-free and charge quicker.