Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #1

Onan Microquiet 4000 clunking

I have a 2006 Sundowner horse trailer with a built in Onan Microquiet 4000. It's parked for the winter. I keep it plugged in. Yesterday, I was walking by, and noticed a clunking sound coming from the generator. Upon opening the cover, I saw that the light was flashing with every clunk. I was able to get it started but it died a short time later and started the clunking again. The clunks and flashes are a couple of seconds apart. I can't get it to flash any type of codes. The model number of the generator is: 4KYFA26100k. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should check?
Yellowf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #2

It sounds to me like the pump prime function may be enable (you may be hearing the electric fuel pump), possibly due to a short on one of the start/stop switches. The priming function on these operates when you press the "stop" switch while the generator is already stopped.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #3

Hello and thank you for the reply. No, it's not the prime function. That does still work when I press the stop button. That sounds like more of a humming sound when priming. I won't have a chance to look at it until tonight but am wondering if maybe the battery that starts the generator is going bad? I have 2 batteries. 1 runs the camper part and 1 starts the generator. I'm not sure if they both charge when plugged in...is there a way to check that?
Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I agree it may be the fuel pump. The good news is that you didn't throw a magnet yet if the gen works when you release the start button.
For the batteries you need to take some readings when plugged in. If they are both getting 13.5 - 15 vdc than they are charging.

You can find your service/owners manuals here if you search.

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #5

Most likely the starter is trying to engage and when the battery voltage drops off to the control it drops out. After dropping out the voltage comes back up and repeat the cycle.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
Most likely the starter is trying to engage and when the battery voltage drops off to the control it drops out. After dropping out the voltage comes back up and repeat the cycle.
Yeah, I was wondering if maybe it was doing that because the battery was going bad and getting low. I'll check the voltage when I get home tonight and have fingers crossed that that's all it is.
I do know that the battery that starts the generator is independent from the one that runs the camper. I'm just not sure if it is on the same charging loop and don't know how to determine that, other than checking voltage when plugged in. I'd sure like it to charge when plugged in!
Old 01-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #7

I wanted to update:
I put a charger on one battery overnight. When I got home today, both batteries were reading 16.3 VDC with charger connected and generator was no longer clunking. I disconnected the charger and both batteries were reading 14.3 VDC. I plugged the trailer in to 120V and both batteries read 14.2 VDC. I primed and started the generator no problem. After running for about 10 minutes, it died and threw fault code 36. (this time the fault codes actually worked)
Tomorrow I'll check the air filter and replace the spark plug. I'll have to dig around locally and find somewhere I can pick up oil and air filters for this unit. I'm hoping maybe an O'Reilly's or Napa will have them.

One more thing I noticed inside the camper. On my control panel, with all light and water switches, there's a small light in the corner that's lit up saying 12vdc next to it. Any ideas what that may be?

Thank you!

Tags
onan, quiet