Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

Opening Slideout

Hi Gang, I have a question and would like some opinion of what others know.

We just got a new TT that has a slideout. Haven't had one of those before. It is a 2020 Starcraft Super Lite 281BH.

Just realizing now fully that we can't get in the front bedroom without opening the slideout. I think I have heard that you should open completely and close completely. Do any of you deviate from that? I'm thinking it would be good at times just to open partially enough to get through to carry something into bedroom. Would that be OK or am I asking for problems?

Thanks for response.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #2

Slide out

I’m no expert but I believe the major concern comes from the seals with out a full open and close they might not flip completely I’ve done partial but make that the seals flip completely
Ricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #3

I think the main concern is if you have two motors on the slide getting the motors out of sync causing the slide to bind up. Many times I have opened our slide about 10" to access something in the bed room. Never once had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #4

No real worries about seals or other issues. It really depends on type of slide you have. Schwintek slides have electric motors that have to stay in sync with each other. If you have a Schwintek slide, you will want to fully extend and fully retract every time to keep the motors in sync and operating correctly.

Schwintek has tracks like pictured on the side of the slide.

If you have hydraulic or other types of electric slides, most can open partially and close without any problem. Just remember, slides aren't water tight in between. They have to be fully extended or fully closed to be weather proof.Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20200611-163812_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	289177
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #5

Thanks for responses. Looks like now I need to check and see what type of slide I have. Sounds like those with Schwintek have more than their share of problems.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #6

Our Schwintek has worked flawlessly now for 3 years. Lube every 6 months, always run a full extend, or retract, and hold the switch for a full 5 seconds after a complete cycle. Never put weight on the slide out unless it’s fully retracted, and supported by the wall.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBob View Post
Thanks for responses. Looks like now I need to check and see what type of slide I have. Sounds like those with Schwintek have more than their share of problems.
Our Schwintek has also been 100% reliable in over 2 years of use. I also lubricate it every few months.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #8

Agree with Bigbird65 and bneukam on problem free Schwintek as long as you use them correctly. Fully extend/fully close each time you operate is part of the directions from the manufacturer as it is how the motors/system is designed.

We have a Schwintek in our master bedroom and opposing hydraulic slides in the main living area/kitchen. I like both systems, but the Schwintek has been problem free for us too. I had to replace a hydraulic cylinder on the main slide at just 2 yrs. old due to an internal seal leaking that would allow the slide to open 4-6 inches on it's own.

As with everything, proper use and maintenance goes a long way. [emoji846]
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #9

we can't get our bathroom door open if the slide is in so we just latch it open then run the slide in, works great. another concern of only parcel opening is that is there support under the slide floor. some don't have any on yours with the slide fully in the first 18" of the slide is past the carpet and over the tile that has less elevation to support the floor of the slide.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #10

Schwinteck slide information - how to resync the motors:

https://youtu.be/VAgMqwaSo2c
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBob View Post
Hi Gang, I have a question and would like some opinion of what others know.

We just got a new TT that has a slideout. Haven't had one of those before. It is a 2020 Starcraft Super Lite 281BH.

Just realizing now fully that we can't get in the front bedroom without opening the slideout. I think I have heard that you should open completely and close completely. Do any of you deviate from that? I'm thinking it would be good at times just to open partially enough to get through to carry something into bedroom. Would that be OK or am I asking for problems?

Thanks for response.
Open fully to ensure that the slide seals flip properly. Why not? An extra minute isn't a bad thing typically. I always fully extend a slide if I need to open for some reason. Once you close with a seal not flipped completely it will be tough to get it to remember what it needs to do. Cheap preventative habit.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #12

How to lubricate the Schwintek slide out.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Schwinteck slide information - how to resync the motors:

https://youtu.be/VAgMqwaSo2c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
How to lubricate the Schwintek slide out.

Good information guys.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #14

Slide out

Just got access again to post on here. Sorry for delay! Looks like I don't have a Schwintek slide. See attached picture is from my open slider. There are no tracks on the side and picture is of (what?) on the under side of slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Mech.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	290512  

Tags
slide, slideout