Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Ordering new. Should I get solar?

Iím ordering new and the option for solar panels and gen prep are both on the sheet. Are these worth it if Iím not a dry camper? I did get a 12v fridge. Any other options seem to be preference. But I donít know about the solar or gen stuff.
Thanks
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #2

I'm not a dry camper as well and don't really see the need for solar. I installed battery shut off switch which will disconnect battery whenever trailer is not in use. Will not hurt of, course to have them either.
OFilippov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #3

I think I would order solar to keep the battery trickle charged when not being used.

I am not a dry camper either but in storage I would like to know the battery is being charged. Plus when I decide to camp I can run the refrigerator sooner.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #4

Get the heaviest gauge prewiring you can get and buy and install the panels and controllers yourself. Gen prewire is good if in the future if you ever decide to boondock and your panels cannot keep up.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #5

Really two totally different questions:

1. Do you want/need solar?

2. Is the factory installations the solar panels, wiring and controller that meet your needs at a competitive price?

Gen prep from the factory would depend on price vs how long a run it is from batteries to gen set location and where you want the control panel.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Really two totally different questions:

1. Do you want/need solar?

2. Is the factory installations the solar panels, wiring and controller that meet your needs at a competitive price?

Gen prep from the factory would depend on price vs how long a run it is from batteries to gen set location and where you want the control panel.
I donít need solar. My only concern was keeping the 12v fridge on while driving but I was told that my truck will charge it as it tows.
The solar option is about 500.00 more. Includes one 190w panel.
The gen prep is almost 500 just for the wiring and panel and I would only get it for resale. Iím not adding a 5k onan.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
I donít need solar. My only concern was keeping the 12v fridge on while driving but I was told that my truck will charge it as it tows.
The gen prep is almost 500 just for the wiring and panel and I would only get it for resale. Iím not adding a 5k onan.
Our fuzion has the solar prep. We havent even thought about using it and probably wouldnt. The onan, on the other hand, i love having an onan. You could always see what the used market looks like and pick up a low hr one used for alot less. The new 5500s like whats in my fuzion are just over 4100 brand new. We really like having an onan.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Iíd get the solar and gen prep, that price would most likely be a pwm controller but thatís ok, you donít drycamp. Solar will help keep up with 12v fridge while driving and winter storage as tuffr said. I wouldnít just rely on tv, that would be iffy.

Gen prep, down the road if you want or need itís there and maybe a perk for resale.

What batteries are coming with the unit? In between camping trips is it being plugged in?
Old 11-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #9

I have to find out what batteries come with it. It has 2 because of auto leveling. I have a 30amp rv outlet in my garage that my current camper is always plugged into when parked.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have to find out what batteries come with it. It has 2 because of auto leveling. I have a 30amp rv outlet in my garage that my current camper is always plugged into when parked.
Ok, so solar basically just for traveling with 12v fridge and “maybe” a power outage at campground, your plugged in 100%. Should be good, enjoy
Old 11-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #11

One of of my favorite features on mine is solar. I probably would not have ordered it but it was already there on my new coach. When I stop for whatever reason I do not have to worry about the batteries running the inverter for fridge and microwave. Get it.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I'm cheap. SO, I would do my own solar set up. Quite a few dealers use questionable sized wiring and inexpensive components, but charge large dollars. This is just my opinion though. Besides, when I'm out working on the trailer, I'm not bugging my bride in the house.
For our solar, I used two 100 watt panels as portable with a good controller. Works pretty well. $500.00 for the set up.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:15 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We have a 5th wheeler plus a small MH. The 5th has a large solar system (1050 watts) plus large battery system. It is setup for off-grid camping. The MH does not have any solar and a much smaller battery pack. We will off-grid it for perhaps two nights in a row without issue. But it has an electric/propane frig.

1) because off voltage drop from truck to trailer do not expect the truck to do much of any battery recharging on the trailer. It will provide limited 12v power to run a few things. Like the frig.

2) If you want just have the manufacture instll only the drop cables from the roof to a point very near your battery pack. No other hardware at this time. Insist on the largest size wire they'll install.

3) The genset prep may be good or not. In out 5th we keep the gen in the back of the pickup and just plug in when needed. No prep required and less to fail. The MH has a 4K Onan gas generator installed. Much bigger pain than our external gen set for the 5th.

When you go from full hookup to full hookup you only need enough 12v power for the day. This could be done my a larger capacity battery bank without either solar or a gen set. Keep it simple.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #14

Always plugged in, never dry camping, I would say no. Me, I have solar because I've never plugged in.
Factory installed solar cost more than aftermarket. I would spend $$ on battery capacity first. If down the road you decide to go explore the world outside the crowded RV parks, aftermarket solar is relatively easy to add on.
If your new rig has no on-board generator, invest in an inverter generator in case of emergency.

Tags
solar