Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At one point I would’ve loved to have purchased a Lance from our local dealer who’s just an hour away. However similarly comparable to our 24KTS but $22,000 more just didn’t compute.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #16

Op here. Hours away from deciding . Just tried to make a (phantom) service appointment at my most local dealer/shop, a very large one, and was told they no longer service units not purchased there. Not what this indecisive person wanted to hear...
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Op here. Hours away from deciding . Just tried to make a (phantom) service appointment at my most local dealer/shop, a very large one, and was told they no longer service units not purchased there. Not what this indecisive person wanted to hear...
Try to find an independent shop that doesn’t sell RV’s, that only does repairs. Often owned by some guy who doesn’t want to work at an RV store but is an expert on repairs. Sometimes you can find a mobile repair person who is really good too. They seem to be more motivated to do a good job as repairs are their whole business. Ask other local RV owners who they go to for repairs. Finally if you are at all handy RV’s are pretty simple to fix.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #18

My wife is a couple of years away from retiring, then we will be joining the ranks.
I have been shocked by the shoddy workmanship and complaints that owners post about their Indiana made trailers. The I found Northwood..............haven't seen a negative post about them yet. Seems like a lot of owners expect and accept problems from the get-go when they buy a new unit. I think that's backwards...........should be expecting quality with minimal glitches.
When we pull the trigger...........we will be headed to a Northwoods dealer.............even if that means driving to Montanna or Oregon............what the heck? We'll have the time
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
My wife is a couple of years away from retiring, then we will be joining the ranks.
I have been shocked by the shoddy workmanship and complaints that owners post about their Indiana made trailers. The I found Northwood..............haven't seen a negative post about them yet. Seems like a lot of owners expect and accept problems from the get-go when they buy a new unit. I think that's backwards...........should be expecting quality with minimal glitches.
When we pull the trigger...........we will be headed to a Northwoods dealer.............even if that means driving to Montanna or Oregon............what the heck? We'll have the time
Northwood/ORV are not perfect. They are having some of the same issues as others. The difference being, their issues seem to occur at a much lower rate than some of the other manufacturers. The real difference is that when quality issues do occur, they bend over backwards to fix the issue correctly.

At least that is my perception as an owner of a coach that had "issues."
Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
At one point I would’ve loved to have purchased a Lance from our local dealer who’s just an hour away. However similarly comparable to our 24KTS but $22,000 more just didn’t compute.
Yes, we have a few Lance dealers in Ohio. Yes, the quality is there. Just found them too small., but that was two summers ago. I think slowly they are starting to push the past the 25' length threshold. I'll actually say the quality is a step above ORV units. Their not as rugged or capable for off-road/ off grid traveling. Tanks are smaller ( 45 gal. fresh) , tiny propane tanks (2 x 5lb.). And about $10 to $15k more than a ORV unit.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Yes, we have a few Lance dealers in Ohio. Yes, the quality is there. Just found them too small., but that was two summers ago. I think slowly they are starting to push the past the 25' length threshold. I'll actually say the quality is a step above ORV units. Their not as rugged or capable for off-road/ off grid traveling. Tanks are smaller ( 45 gal. fresh) , tiny propane tanks (2 x 5lb.). And about $10 to $15k more than a ORV unit.
I'm not really sure where the better quality is in a Lance over NW or ORV. I agree that the fit and finish seems better, But what are you really getting?
In the kitchen you get no drawers. You get plastic bins behind doors.
You get a small pullout rack for a pantry. You get a light weight frame and 14" tires. Only one of the floor plans offers a rear window.
I hope you don't break the front window out of warranty. $$$. Small counter space. Very uncomfortable recliners in the two models that they offer them in. High step up to the dining table. Not a deal breaker but could get old.
I've looked at all 3 brands many many times at the local RV shows.
Lance does seem tighter as a unit. Fit and finish seems better.
Payloads are really low as well. Lots of trade offs. For the record I'd own any of them if it served my purpose.
Problem with Lance for us is they have no floor plans that we could enjoy. Needing to spend time inside on a rainy or really cold day would not be all that much fun. We really like the 2295 with all the closet storage. But the living area is not that accommodating unless you spend all day outside.
I should mention that we're in our 60's and while we are fairly active we aren't 30 anymore. We need a little more of the cush life during the day.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I forgot to mention if you’re 6’4 the Lance would feel very claustrophobic with their very ungenerous head room.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #23

Op here. Pretty set on purchasing the ORV 24RKS and have a good quote (Oregon) just looking to see if I can find similar deal from as good as dealer closer to me...not too close though...Colorado
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #24

ORV (or other west brand) on east coast?

Did the Class A fall through?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Op here. Pretty set on purchasing the ORV 24RKS and have a good quote (Oregon) just looking to see if I can find similar deal from as good as dealer closer to me...not too close though...Colorado
Reach out to forum member Dexters, he's been down this path already.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/deal...ml#post3743894
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #26

I looked at both Lance and ORV. I understand this forum has a lot of ORV owners and hardly any Lance. But Many items you all listed as downfalls with the Lance I could nick pick the same with ORV.

I went with Lance because the exact same floor plan was 1,200 lbs less dry weight in the Lance. Plus the ORV’s that we’re sitting in the dealers lots were hundreds of pounds dry weight over the website.

ORV, and Lances are quality built trailers, but they are not even in the same category.
We love our Lance, after many weeks camping, not one issue. Not sure why someone feels the need to put down a quality manufactured trailer.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I looked at both Lance and ORV. I understand this forum has a lot of ORV owners and hardly any Lance. But Many items you all listed as downfalls with the Lance I could nick pick the same with ORV.

I went with Lance because the exact same floor plan was 1,200 lbs less dry weight in the Lance. Plus the ORV’s that we’re sitting in the dealers lots were hundreds of pounds dry weight over the website.

ORV, and Lances are quality built trailers, but they are not even in the same category.
We love our Lance, after many weeks camping, not one issue. Not sure why someone feels the need to put down a quality manufactured trailer.
Putting down? I think most of us had Lance in our final three manufacturers that were in consideration for purchase. The differences as noted made an impact in our decisions. I had noted the huge price difference and the interior height as deciding factors. If the price here in New York for a Lance wasn’t so marked up it surely could have been a Lance in our driveway. Absolutely well appointed and well built.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post

It's cause they're over priced. I can't say for sure but it seems like the prices really jump about 2-3 years ago. They haven't changed hardly anything. Added a new cap with a window and finally caught up to the rest with a new radius roof. Other than that I just don't see the $48K MSRP for a 2295. Thats up $10K in 3 years. I think when you have a niche RV you can ask more. Lance is well liked by the smaller tow vehicle crowd. Those buyers are limited because of vehicle. Larger truck owners have more to choose from.
I could be way off but thats my thinking. The trend is towards smaller or lighter RV's and Lance is playing right into it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast