Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 03:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
Did the Class A fall through?
Yup. Wasnít near what they claimed it was (which explained seemingly low price).
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's cause they're over priced. I can't say for sure but it seems like the prices really jump about 2-3 years ago. They haven't changed hardly anything. Added a new cap with a window and finally caught up to the rest with a new radius roof. Other than that I just don't see the $48K MSRP for a 2295. Thats up $10K in 3 years. I think when you have a niche RV you can ask more. Lance is well liked by the smaller tow vehicle crowd. Those buyers are limited because of vehicle. Larger truck owners have more to choose from.

I could be way off but thats my thinking. The trend is towards smaller or lighter RV's and Lance is playing right into it.

They are expensive I agree with you. The Lance 1995 I bought was 4,800 more than the ORV 21RBS which are the exact same floor plan.
But the Lance was 1,200 to 1,500 lbs less in weight depending on ORVís dry weight. Because they are all over the place from one to the next, even though they have the exact same options. CCC was only 200 lbs more on the ORV.

Since 2015 Lance has:
Made frames stronger
Switched roofing to a TPO
Redesigned the front
Put batteries in locked storage with slide out trays.
Three 5 gal. Propane tanks
Goodyear Tires
Many interior upgrades

Just want to get the facts straight so people can make an informed decision. To build a strong light weight trailer it takes higher grade materials like azdel. Who else uses CNC machined cuts for everything. Plus, not towing all that extra weight around I am getting better mpgís, and it tows wonderful behind my 1/2 ton.

People are looking to spend their hard earned money on a TT, itís our responsibility to give our experiences with products we know.

Itís helpful to share what the good and bad is on our TTís, but to bash other manufacturers is not good for this forum. The features that you described as being bad on a Lance, like plastic trays instead of drawers, I find to be very useful.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I looked at both Lance and ORV. I understand this forum has a lot of ORV owners and hardly any Lance. But Many items you all listed as downfalls with the Lance I could nick pick the same with ORV.

I went with Lance because the exact same floor plan was 1,200 lbs less dry weight in the Lance. Plus the ORVís that weíre sitting in the dealers lots were hundreds of pounds dry weight over the website.

ORV, and Lances are quality built trailers, but they are not even in the same category.
We love our Lance, after many weeks camping, not one issue. Not sure why someone feels the need to put down a quality manufactured trailer.
We looked at a Lance and I was very close to pulling the trigger. Nice workmanship, well built rig, but for me there were a few things that swayed me to ORV over the Lance. These issues are all related to the type of camping I do so for others these things may not matter at all, in fact the Lance may be a better choice. My deciding factors were as follows, the frame on the Lance is built way lighter on the Lance. The Lance uses a Lippert frame that is huck bolted together. This is supposed to be strong but looking at it I wasn't convinced it would be strong enough for off road use. The ORV uses an I-beam frame rail approach. The Lance sits low to the ground for less wind resistance than an ORV although I noticed on their website you can get a 25/8" lift kit as an option now. The lance has smaller water tanks. For using it mostly on pavement and staying in RV parks I think the Lance is a fine rig. I mostly get off the beaten path and frequently find myself on gravel roads and crossing a ditch to access a good boondocking spot. I wanted something a built a little heavier, with a little more ground clearance, and with a bigger water tank. Both are well built trailers but with a different approach to construction. Depending on how you plan to use your trailer most of the time one probably will work better than the other.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
We looked at a Lance and I was very close to pulling the trigger. Nice workmanship, well built rig, but for me there were a few things that swayed me to ORV over the Lance. These issues are all related to the type of camping I do so for others these things may not matter at all, in fact the Lance may be a better choice. My deciding factors were as follows, the frame on the Lance is built way lighter on the Lance. The Lance uses a Lippert frame that is huck bolted together. This is supposed to be strong but looking at it I wasn't convinced it would be strong enough for off road use. The ORV uses an I-beam frame rail approach. The Lance sits low to the ground for less wind resistance than an ORV although I noticed on their website you can get a 25/8" lift kit as an option now. The lance has smaller water tanks. For using it mostly on pavement and staying in RV parks I think the Lance is a fine rig. I mostly get off the beaten path and frequently find myself on gravel roads and crossing a ditch to access a good boondocking spot. I wanted something a built a little heavier, with a little more ground clearance, and with a bigger water tank. Both are well built trailers but with a different approach to construction. Depending on how you plan to use your trailer most of the time one probably will work better than the other.

I agree with you 100%. Even though a Lance can go down USFS roads, itís not close to the capability of an ORV.

Everyone has a budget, needs, and usage. Not you, but their is some posters on here that are continuously pushing ORV as their only option. If I was planning on only using my TT a few weekends a year, I wouldnít pay the extra cost for a Lance, or a ORV. I think itís great that people have pride in their TT, but bottom line they are just a trailer.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
My wife is a couple of years away from retiring, then we will be joining the ranks.
I have been shocked by the shoddy workmanship and complaints that owners post about their Indiana made trailers. The I found Northwood..............haven't seen a negative post about them yet. Seems like a lot of owners expect and accept problems from the get-go when they buy a new unit. I think that's backwards...........should be expecting quality with minimal glitches.
When we pull the trigger...........we will be headed to a Northwoods dealer.............even if that means driving to Montanna or Oregon............what the heck? We'll have the time
Oh i've certainly had issues with mine. But they were quickly resolved without any hassle.
One is a new roof!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #34

Couple misnomers here.
1st one is that Lance can't go off road. Except for the rougher roads the lance would be better as it's lighter, lower overall height and has torsion independent style axles. Way smother over rougher roads.
2nd one is that ORV trailers are off road worthy. IMO the only off road worthy part is the ground clearance. A 6"-8" I beam frame supported by old school leaf springs and even with shocks is not going to win any off road stability contests. That and the fact that they're 12' high doesn't help either.
Under the guise of ORV's off road worthiness anyone with a TT/5er could put shocks and some spacer blocks and do the same thing.
I'm not sure anyone with a 30' TT thats says it's Off Road Capable would go down anything other than a wide smooth gravel or dirt road. A road that the Lance could just as easily travel down.
Both have their place in the RV world but neither IMO is as bad or as great as they some perceive them to be.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Couple misnomers here.
1st one is that Lance can't go off road. Except for the rougher roads the lance would be better as it's lighter, lower overall height and has torsion independent style axles. Way smother over rougher roads.
2nd one is that ORV trailers are off road worthy. IMO the only off road worthy part is the ground clearance. A 6"-8" I beam frame supported by old school leaf springs and even with shocks is not going to win any off road stability contests. That and the fact that they're 12' high doesn't help either.
Under the guise of ORV's off road worthiness anyone with a TT/5er could put shocks and some spacer blocks and do the same thing.
I'm not sure anyone with a 30' TT thats says it's Off Road Capable would go down anything other than a wide smooth gravel or dirt road. A road that the Lance could just as easily travel down.
Both have their place in the RV world but neither IMO is as bad or as great as they some perceive them to be.
That may be your opinion of a misnomer. The reality is the ORV trailer is higher off the ground, does have shocks, and I have taken mine down some pretty gnarly BLM roads that would destroy a low slung trailer like a Lance. No one in their right mind believes you can take a ORV trailer down to Moab on some jeep trail or overland across the desert. They have enough stability for any reasonable forest service road. I can take you to some roads with high centers that I have taken my ORV down that many trailers would not go down without getting high centered. The phrase, "Off Road" does not mean truly off across places where there are no roads. There are very few places like that left in the US where you can legally drive off of roads. The question is just how rough of a road do you want to take your trailer down? I believe it is no misnomer to say an ORV trailer is more capable than other trailers to take off pavement. Other trailers can be modified or perhaps even come from the factory as capable but that doesn't make the ORV trailers less worthy.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Love a good back and forth over simple things!! Like Off Road, we boonie with our ORV, although it is not a newer "back roads" model, and it is 34ft long!! We camp 80% in the woods of WA & OR. Gravel roads worn down to bedrock in some places, water crossings, pretty good drops off of the main road to side roads or campsites. Yes we occasionally drag the back jacks, but less than our Jayco 28ft trailer that had less ground clearance.

Pic is water crossing in late Sept, drop into middle is aboot 2-1/2 to 3 ft down from road, nice big round rocks and 12-20 inches of water in May!! Lower sitting trailer is going to drag in and out, and get its bottom wet!!

Yes, I use my 34ft trailer (ORV!!) off road, and love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2622.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	198769  
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
Love a good back and forth over simple things!! Like Off Road, we boonie with our ORV, although it is not a newer "back roads" model, and it is 34ft long!! We camp 80% in the woods of WA & OR. Gravel roads worn down to bedrock in some places, water crossings, pretty good drops off of the main road to side roads or campsites. Yes we occasionally drag the back jacks, but less than our Jayco 28ft trailer that had less ground clearance.

Pic is water crossing in late Sept, drop into middle is aboot 2-1/2 to 3 ft down from road, nice big round rocks and 12-20 inches of water in May!! Lower sitting trailer is going to drag in and out, and get its bottom wet!!

Yes, I use my 34ft trailer (ORV!!) off road, and love it.
I'd love to hear about the places you've found to boondock at. We need to expand our list. We're in Portland.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Putting down? I think most of us had Lance in our final three manufacturers that were in consideration for purchase. The differences as noted made an impact in our decisions. I had noted the huge price difference and the interior height as deciding factors. If the price here in New York for a Lance wasnít so marked up it surely could have been a Lance in our driveway. Absolutely well appointed and well built.

Hello,
I am from NY and am currently shopping Arctic Fox due to there being a dealership in PA. Just wondering where you got your ORV from? Is there any dealers in the tri state area?
I really like the ORV offerings especially the 25rds and would love to see one in person.

Thanks, Joe
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In So Cal there is a huge off road area call Johnson Valley. It's all boon docking out there. I have taken my rig out there more than once to camp with friends. The limiting factor is not the ORV, it is the ability of my Ram 4x4 to drag it where I want to go. At some point a 20 foot truck and 31 foot trailer is just not going to go there. Anyplace my friends can go, I can get with no problem.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnslprd View Post
Hello,
I am from NY and am currently shopping Arctic Fox due to there being a dealership in PA. Just wondering where you got your ORV from? Is there any dealers in the tri state area?
I really like the ORV offerings especially the 25rds and would love to see one in person.

Thanks, Joe
Hello,

There are no dealers closer than Colorado and I think there’s one in Saskatchewan? Many of us would prefer to work with Thompson’s RV in Pendleton Oregon, just down the interstate from the ORV factory. There are other dealers that members have had good luck with. It’s too bad you missed our East Coast Rally last month. You could’ve toured many models and talked with the proud owners and not sales people at a dealership.

I remember being at this same point in my quest, it was down to two manufacturers, and what dealer to do business with. My decision came down to getting what I wanted, and not spending more money for less value. A dealer seven hours away, is not a local dealer. I knew I could fix most issues myself and that has been the case. The thought of having the silly repairs that come hand in hand owning a mass produced RV done each time they pop up at a dealer seven hours away doesn’t compute for me. I have found a independent local shop that I have confidence in that will do repairs when I’m home. They’ve done one warranty repair on the awning, I’ve done the rest. Right now I'm about 10,000 miles into our trip, at Banff National Park, Alberta Canada. What’s a local dealer mean to me now? I take care of everything.

ORV has been great when I had a warranty issue, the replacement parts were sent ASAP. The check for the reimbursement for the repair shop bill came quickly also. The calls to the factory are answered, information is accurate, always helpful and personable.

If you can become comfortable with what a “local” dealer means to you the rest is easier. For me I realized that the ORV model I choose was going to save me a bunch of money, and give me the platform that I needed to take this trip. We’ve camped in this unit below zero and were very comfortable. We also dry camp and boondock, and after 10k miles, we’re happy.

The markup and delivery cost of an Arctic Fox in Pennsylvania priced the AF out of reach. Those cost savings essentially paid for my two week trip out west to pick up the unit last year, and I still saved a substantial amount of money. I enjoyed my trip out west to pick up the Black Rock last summer. I’m really enjoying the trip this year.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:52 AM   #41

I looked at Lance at Ocean Grove RV in St. Augustine Florida and Artic Fox at Kelly RV in Pa.

Artic Fox is probably comparable to ORV. For me, I would buy an Artic Fox from either Kelly or the dealer in Ohio.

The Lance trailer is the best built light weight trailer that I have seen. But it is build to be easy to tow. It is low with an aerodynamic front.

I am also looking at the Winnebago Mini Plus models to have more space and a few features that Artic Fox does not offer.

Oh, I plan to fix everything myself on my travel trailer. I do not like a dealership that takes 3 - 6 weeks to get the unit back to you. That is really unacceptable.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #42

Thanks guys,

We are dealing with Kelly's RV. The dealership is awesome and worth the 3.5 hr drive. Unfortunately ORV chooses not to deal with any east coast dealers, so we haven't been able to see one in person.
Today I got word that the fabrics in the Arctic Fox will be different for anything built from August forward. We have been shopping for months and this might change our choice.
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast