Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #1

ORV vs Artic Fox

I know these trailer are at least cousins but are they brother's? Twin Brothers?

I can find Artic Fox trailers in Georgia, Ohio and Pa. But can not find any ORV trailers east of the Mississippi.

My question is, if I can see an Artic Fox trailer is that the same as seeing an ORV trailer? Are they identical?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #2

No. While they are related like brothers they are not the same. They will share a lot of components and their build philosophy is the same. But their built in different shops, and are designed by different people. Their also in a bit different price class. ORV would be more closely aligned to Nash in price.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

Construction wise yes they're probably close. One thing thats different is that ORV uses a fiberglass covering under the slide vs NW that IIRC still uses that plastic Darcor(?) wrap under their slides.
The difference is in standard items, interior appointments, appliances, options, etc.
One of the turn offs for the DW and I is that NW puts those cloth coverings on the sides of the windows to hide the blind strings. We hated them on our Fox.
ORV uses the vinyl wrapped wood coverings. The blinds don't get caught in them and they look cleaner IMO.

Totally subjective but we like the interiors better in ORV's.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
No. While they are related like brothers they are not the same. They will share a lot of components and their build philosophy is the same. But their built in different shops, and are designed by different people. Their also in a bit different price class. ORV would be more closely aligned to Nash in price.
ORV makes several lines of TT's same as NW. Nash would be compared to the Creekside in price. Timber Ridge and Blackstone closer North Fork.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

It's a shame that there is not a better dealer base in the East for Arctic Fox. The dealer in GA is relatively new, and he stocks very few trailers--mostly smaller units.

But there again, this company doesn't put out high volumes. And their units are relatively heavily built and somewhat expensive for what you get.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #6

Based on my observations, "brothers" certainly, sometimes "twins", but only in construction under the skin.

Arctic Fox 25Y

Outdoors RV 24RLS

I'm taking great liberty in my Reader's Digest version but here goes:

Ron Nash founded Northwood Mfg., success and growth, ("Nash" trailer line included). Ron suffers a stroke, stays connected to Northwood, but transfers day to day management to others.

Thankfully, Ron recovers, and he and his wife, then see an opportunity to launch Outdoors RV in an abandoned Fleetwood RV plant nearby as a separate company, marketing more towards outdoors use, and families vs. Arctic Fox typical higher end "couples" style trailers. (How was that ORV/Northwood fans?).

I see similarities across the board between the two manufacturers, even though they come out of two different plants. Note that they share the same custom frame manufacturer.

With that said, pick the one that best suits your needs, looks, and desires, and be satisfied that structurally, they are indeed closer to twin than just brothers, generally speaking. I like the look, layout, and marketing of Outdoors RV, as it better suits my style of camping and use. Multiple stories of ORV supporting warranty work through independents and non-selling/stocking dealers regardless of location.

A little "bidness" news highlighting Northwood, ORV, and Ron Nash.
http://rvlife.com/northwood-expands-product-lines/

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...manufacturing/

http://www.myeasternoregon.com/2018/...eran-retiring/
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #7

I do understand you have Artic Fox then a step down you have Nash.

On the ORV side I do not know what their lines are. What is the top ORV then next step down.

I was reading some old posts from 2016 and see Artic Fox was 102" wide and ORV was 96" wide. Is this still true ?

And then there was talk about the Artic Fox frame from Northwood being thicker. But then it was mentioned that it was thicker fir a longer trailer...again, this was from 2016.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

ORV has a very different marketing approach.

Structurally by increasing weight/size:
Creekside
Timber Ridge
Blackstone
Glacier Peak (5th wheel)

Trim levels: increasing in luxury..
Back Country
Mountain Series
Titanium Series
Trail Series/MTN TRX (think Back Country or Mountain Series Toy Hauler)

This approach was best exampled by ORV's earlier marketing videos, which of course are now removed due to a brand restructure.

Fwiw, Nash is built with heavy duty wood frame walls and wood truss radius roof. I think, an often overlooked, excellent value in a trailer suitable for occasional bumpy roads or off the beaten path camping use, especially in cooler (or hotter) weather. Fairly sure all ORVs are built like Arctic Fox, aluminum wall with wood truss radius roof.

Older ORV construction video, Darin must have had extra coffee that day...
https://youtu.be/AK6jQRxBKeo
Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I do understand you have Artic Fox then a step down you have Nash.

On the ORV side I do not know what their lines are. What is the top ORV then next step down.

I was reading some old posts from 2016 and see Artic Fox was 102" wide and ORV was 96" wide. Is this still true ?

And then there was talk about the Artic Fox frame from Northwood being thicker. But then it was mentioned that it was thicker fir a longer trailer...again, this was from 2016.
According to the new NW web site it looks like NW has consolidated their TT line up.
They used to have two lines in the Arctic Fox line. The Silver Fox and the Classic.
The Classic was 102". The SF was the standard 96"
The SF had fiberglass front and rear caps. The Classic only a fiberglass front cap.

Now it looks like they've combined the Classic and Silver Fox floor plans, deleted some and now call them the North Fork. Nash is the other name in the line up.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

One of the reasons I like the Outdoor RV and Arctic Fox lines is we live in the west at higher altitude. We camp at much higher altitudes and the extra insulation is very helpful when day/night temperature swings can be 35 degrees or more. Fall camping can involve freezing temperatures.

I was very happy to buy a no slide Arctic Fox 22G. It is easy to keep cool in the hot son and keep warm overnight at high altitudes. It is perfect for 2 people.

I went through several of the Outdoor RV smaller plans. I decided that the large rear windows would affect my ability to heat or cool the trailer. I had to drive to a nearby state to find an Arctic Fox dealer. There were Outdoor RVs sold locally.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

-Well, I see my Reader's Digest version of ORV/Northwood is a bit off on the time line but you get the general idea on the relationship between the two companies.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

I guess my real question is:

Is it worth a trip out west to look at / buy an ORV or just buy an Artic Fox that is much easier logistically to see / buy?

I did look at Artic Fox trailers but was not overly impressed last year. The interior was kinda dark and gloomy to me.

I will be driving on RT 75 north in about a week which goes right past the Artic Fox dealer just north of Atlanta and then right past the Artic Fox dealer east of Cincinnati. I plan to stop and see if the interior is as inviting as the Winnebago Mini Plus 27 RBDS.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #13

Dont kmow what happened to my last post, but.....
If your interested, contact ThunderRV in LaGrande or Apache Camping center in Portland. Thunder is the closest dealer to the factories, but Apache often has the best deals. Might be worth your time to drive to Oregon and pick up your new RV.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #14

I will say a very interesting video. Makes me want to start driving west. Very impressive indeed. 2" think walls is way better than in my current trailer as in 30 degree weather I can feel the cold come thru the walls.

Astro - hope the star gazing is going good. How difficult is it to stay warm on those cold starry nights? How much propane do you use.

At 38 degrees my current trailer furnace runs 50% of the time as I was timing it. 4 minutes on, 4 minutes off, repeat.