Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #1

OTA TV Antenna Rig Complete !

After purchasing or new 2015 Grey Wolf 26RL, we were "Very Disappointed " in the fixed ( Roadstar i believe ) TV antenna reception we where getting, compared our old TT with a Sensar. Was going to order the new Sensar IV to replace the factory unit, about a $250 investment, then all the roof work, hole drilling and cable running.

I had an old amplified outdoor tv antenna that we had on the house when we first cut the cable, it worked great, considering we are around 60 miles from Savannah ( we upgraded to a new hoonker model ), i fished it out of the shed, stuck it up on a long pole, and hooked it up with it's controller/amp, feed it thru the cable input .Old Roadster ( factory ) 4 channels , cheap E Bay ,21 channels, some of them if'y, but 12 or so great HD picture and all the networks, So the big test, went to one of our favorite parks in the boonies, where very few get any OTA reception, and we never got any, with the new rig we got 3 , all PBS, but that,s fine with me, got some great new recipes from Create !!!

So, bought a new version of the same antenna $35,E Bay, telescoping 15 ft pole skimmer pole $15, Amazon stand of brackets and hose clamps from Lowes $10. So $60 invested, works great, a few minutes to set when at site.

It didn't start at money, but drilling holes in roof and running the cables at 62 years old and fading

Pictures don't show full height of mast, tree limb got in the way !!

Having problems with Pics, will sent this and post after .
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

Well, won't let me upload pic, showes red in bar and cannot fique out how to delete past pics if thats the problem ???? HELP !
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

Sorry All, Cannot get pictures to upload, says i have reached my max. and cannot figure out how to delete past pics. Just worked so great at a minimum cost, just thought us retired on a budget would benefit !
Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

My Brothers Grey Wolf came with the omni directional Roadstar also and it is useless. I installed the King Jack antenna head ($49) on my existing crank up mast and it works great. It is amazing how well Digital OTA works if you have a good antenna.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Ok, upgraded to get more photo space and support the forum. Here's some pic. and an update, We just returned from our trip to Petersburg COE Campground, on Thurmond Lake, N.W. of Augusta Ga. with the factory Roadstar antenna we got 5 channels, with the network ( news ) one we wanted kept breaking up.

Set up my rig, aimed it according to the DTV Antennas phone App. 18 channels, most of the crystal clear, and 3 network channels now !!!!

Dam shame for the money you pay for a new TT, a $30 E Bay antenna smokes the factory unit.
Sorry for the picture rotation !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2044.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	122322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2048.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	122323  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2045.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	122324  
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had a Jensen omnidirectional and same thing. We did a king jack. In the driveway at home I get way more stations, in Seattle the big 3 stations have their antennas clustered on the same hill but there are other stations I didn't get before in other directions.
seaeagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great idea, thank you for sharing
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna