Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Outlet for microwave stopped working.

Hi all. Have a 2018 keystone hideout. A few weeks ago I installed a winegard sensarpro signal meter. Long story short, I had the battery hooked up when doing it (yes, I know, bad boy [emoji23]) and when I pulled the power wire off, I knocked the ground and of course, blew a fuse. Camped a few days later and thought the electric at my site wasn’t working until I remembered my little spark show from a few days prior. Got in the panel and sore enough, found a 15 amp fuse executed. Replaced it and like magic, a/c, radio, tv, everything started working. Except the microwave. I checked all the other fuses, the circuit breaker, the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. All are good. So I just assumed I somehow fried the microwave. Took the microwave home and plugged it in and it works fine. I haven’t camped since then to check voltages. Leaving for the Dells on Thursday and will be able to check it out. Is it possible the outlet is bad now? Doesn’t make sense that the outlet would go bad. I did unscrew the outlet from the wall and didn’t see anything visually. Any help is appreciated, my daughter really likes Microway popcorn [emoji23]
jhamelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

The microwave is pure 120 volts. It has nothing to do with the fuses or 12 volt system.

Did you check for a tripped breaker marked Microwave, MW or something like that ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

Yes. Breaker was fine, but I flipped it off and back on anyway and no luck
Old 07-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #4

Could be one of those pinch together wall outlets.......easy to replace with a real outlet....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Could be one of those pinch together wall outlets.......easy to replace with a real outlet....

Guess I’m not familiar with what those are. I’m gonna take a new outlet with me this weekend and give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

Open the outlet and check the wiring with a VOM meter. If you are getting 120v on the wires, replace the box.
00 Buckshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

My guess you tripped a GFCI breaker , you may have more than one,, I'd keep searching. When you crossed the hot and ground yes you tripped the breaker, but you may have tripped a GFI somewhere. When current returns to neutral buss other than the neutral wire(white wire) a GFCI knows it and will trip. You also caused an overload on the breaker. Both may have tripped.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
My guess you tripped a GFCI breaker , you may have more than one,, I'd keep searching. When you crossed the hot and ground yes you tripped the breaker, but you may have tripped a GFI somewhere. When current returns to neutral buss other than the neutral wire(white wire) a GFCI knows it and will trip. You also caused an overload on the breaker. Both may have tripped.

CLIFFORD

I have a gfci in the bathroom and it’s the only one I can find. I have wondered myself if there is another one. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of and the only one I have found is in the bathroom.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #9

Check to see if you have a GFCI outlet in your storage bay.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #10

Don’t know if your rig has an inverter. Our microwave has a breaker on the inverter.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a switch that will allow me to operate either my microwave or my fireplace but not both. If you have two appliances that draw a lot of amps and an air conditioner you might have that switch.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #12

That’s interesting. I’ll have to look around some more. That was 3 weeks ago and haven’t camped since so I haven’t had a chance. Leaving for Wisconsin dells tomorrow afternoon to camp there for a week. I’ll be tired of water parks by Friday and have plenty of time to look into it [emoji23][emoji23] thanks for all the suggestions guys, I’ll see what I can find out 🤟🏻
Old 07-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #13

Others have hit the nail on the head. Before you start tearing the trailer apart and speaking from personal experience, you only need one GFI plug on a circuit. It is the first one in the chain and it acts as the control for the others. I bet my left arm you have other plugs that are out but just have not noticed it, yet. Track back and find the obscure GFI plug and hit the reset button and your world will be happy again.

If I recall, all plugs need to be GFI in an RV, but don't quote me on that. I think I read that in a forum. :-)
Snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave