Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #1

Outside TV mount - use as a clothesline tether?

Kind of a random question. TT newbie, so not much DIY experience yet. Our TT has an outdoor TV mount ready setup. No plans to put a TV there. I was thinking about installing an eye hook on that spot - figure the TV mount backing would make it a sturdy spot to do this. Plan would be to use it for a dog leash line and clothing line. Is that a bad idea? Any words of caution or warnings? I was thinking I should probably use some silicone to seal it from water. Also not sure exactly how deep I should drill it in - but figure I could find some instructions for doing a TV mount and just use that as a guide.
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I would be cautious of that...if the dog pulls too hard or the clothesline pulls too hatd it xould separate the sections of the wall or rip out the hook leaving a quite expensive repair. Your rig, your choice.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #3

I wouldn't.
I would not put any extra holes in my trailer and I wouldn't add any loads it wasn't designed to take. The construction is just not robust enough and any water intrusion is a disaster.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:01 AM   #4

Humm, I have seen trailers with a build in dog leash hook up area. I would not try to make my own. An extra hole in your trailer is not good.

There are other places to hook a dog to. Like around the "A" frame of the trailer or a tree or the picnic table. I dont recommend this but I would drill a hole in the frame of the trailer and put an eye bolt there instead of drilling into the body of my trailer.

I have had many dogs and only half would stay by by me without a leash while others would run. I know people that let that dog loose and it stays by them without a leash. Now they do not let the dog outside by itself. When I visit I say hi to the dog before I say hi to them usually. This dog is a miniture collie.

Maybe train the dog to stay by you unless it is a critter gitter dog then they can not be trained to stay with you. Like an Affenpincher or Jack Russel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote