Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Over active brake

We just purchased a used 2014 Coachman 23 TT. My passenger front trailer wheel brake locks up when the brake is pressed. This tire then skids/slides often burning rubber while the other three brakes seem to act normal. I have jacked up that axel and there is no noticeable friction when the wheel is spun and the brake activates when the pedal is pressed. My thought of an overly tight adjustment of the shoes may not seem to be it. When simply driving on the interstate, the drum is hotter than the other three brakes. Anyone know what is up here? Does the one over active brake need all new magnet and parts/rebuilt???
dutcher.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #2

Did you check to see if the other wheels are working at all.

Just a thought
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

Good thought. Yes and they all work fine.
dutcher.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Assuming it stops skidding if you back off on the brake power...if not take it back to the dealer. If it does not skid When the power is reduced then it could be the other wheels are improperly(insufficient) adjusted and one brake is trying to stop the whole trailer.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a suitable solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #6

With that one tire dragging and the drum getting hotter than the others leads me to believe that the brakes need to be readjusted. You can either adjust the brakes or have some one do it for you and If it still drags after that, Then you might have internal problems. If brakes are worn out and still neglected they might be piling up on each other.
At two years old they shouldn't be worn out but some people don't know how to adjust the brake controller right and prematurely wear the brakes out. Others think their saving on their tow vehicle brakes by adjusting the controller so the trailer will take more of the braking, Also wearing the brakes out faster. No way to tell what the PO has done in the past.
capt.caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #7

You are NOT dealing with an adjustment problem or brake controller adjustment. You absolutely have to pull that drum and find the problem. Probably grease that was pumped thru the seal, or broken parts. Pull it, take photo and report back.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things I can think of.. one covered above (Adjustment) the other RUST,

The magnet pulls against the inside face of the drum, (not the band but the face) if that is rusty it will drag extra hard and apply hte brakes extra hard.. IF this is the case it will, eventually, self fix if you have progressive/porportional brakes.. but would be better to fix it faster.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
You are NOT dealing with an adjustment problem or brake controller adjustment. You absolutely have to pull that drum and find the problem. Probably grease that was pumped thru the seal, or broken parts. Pull it, take photo and report back.

X2 for sure!
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #10

ok. did you buy from a dealer? if so take it back and have them fix it. if you bought from a private concern then take it to a local dealer and have the brakes fixed. get it to a professional....

just my humble opinion.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #11

I had the same problem on mine. It only did this when I had the brake controller set to "heavy electric". On "light electric" it works normally. It did this the same before and after adjustment and had nothing to do with heat.

I know this makes no sense and all four should work equally.

Make sure to rule out obvious stuff like low tire pressure, too.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #12

Could it be the first magnet in the circuit. Hopefully they would even out the wire runs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with lynnmor, I would either pull the drum or have a qualified tech pull the drum and find what is wrong, my guess is that either the brakes are out of adjustment, or there is grease or broken hardware on that brake., no way to know what is going on without pulling drum for proper inspection.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Could it be the first magnet in the circuit. Hopefully they would even out the wire runs.
That's what I thought too.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake