Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 09:16 PM   #1

Overnight generator operation

An obvious rookie question here. Why do I see so many warnings telling me not to run my generator overnight?

I have to sleep with a CPAP, and I need the electricity to power it when we’re boondocking.

Thanks for any help.
texax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #2

Inside a RV Park it will be too loud for others to bear. Outside a RV Park do as you wish.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:30 PM   #3

My brother uses battery power to run his CPAP.

Running a generator all night is considered very rude and inconsiderate. Imagine trying to get a good night's rest after a long day of driving, when you are awakened by your neighbor running their generator with the exhaust pointed directly at your bedroom window. Yes... even you would get ticked off.
It doesn't matter if you are in an RV park or not! But in a park, you likely have AC power connected, so you won't use a generator anyway.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
My brother uses battery power to run his CPAP.
Yep, that's the customary solution.

Some CPAP models draw a lot more power than others - which means that some models will discharge your batteries quicker.

Shop accordingly.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:59 PM   #5

My DW has had 3 CPAPs over the years, one we keep in the RV operates on 12 volt .

Without using the humidifier , it doesn't draw the batteries down in several nights of use.

Check the output on the brick ( in cord transformer ) if the output is 12 volts to the machine contact the manufacturer about a 12 volt adaptor .

If it's 24 volts consider an inverter to power it from the batteries ; a 600 watt inverter will easily power the unit overnight from batteries in good condition .
Run your generator in the day.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I was able to get a 12v accessory adapter for my previous CPAP and it used very little power with the humidifier turned off. My current one has a 24v brick so I picked up a Bestek 300W Pure Sine Wave inverter to plug into the 12v accessory for the CPAP. Not quite as efficient as the 12v direct but with both humidifier and heated hose turned off it averages only 1.5 amps/hour.

As Skip426 pointed out - if you've got a decent battery you can easily handle it overnight and recharge during the day. We recently completed a week of dry camping - used the CPAP 7-8 hours each night, plus the furnace on a couple of them. 200 watts of portable solar recharged things nicely during the day. Never did dig out the generator.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:29 AM   #7

You don’t want to run a gas gen over night because of the CO2 threat. You can safely run a diesel over nite. I do it all the time as long as nobody is near me. If someone is near I will fire the gen up and ask the person if it bothers them.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:46 AM   #8

A gas generator is very dangerous to run overnight.

We haven't tried it with our new fiver but I made some modifications just in case we would have to while in a dry camping situation.

I have a piece of pipe with two bends that can be easily attached to my generator exhaust pipe. It doesn't put the fumes up and over the roof but it pushes it out and away from the bedroom slide. I also have two portable CO2 detectors which we can have in our bedroom, this is in addition to the hard wired one that is there.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If I was in a park like sardines, then power should be in place, if it is a no hook up park URGH..
I have run my 4000 genny all nite many a nite or my portable HF3500 neither have been frowned upon when the RV's around me are doing the same..
If it is an all quiet at 10pm park, then so b it..
I use my batteries and it would do a Cpap if need be..

BUT I have run my Onan 4000 for 3-4 days straight many times,, once 7. only stopping to change oil. add fuel to RV.. . It is pricey $$ at 10-12 gallons fuel a day..

I did extend my exhaust with a resonator to the rear corner, away from my windows and I make sure I am parked not to blow exhaust right at some one even if they are 50ft away..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #10

When we had a friend of ours going with us to Watkins Glen each year who used a C-Pap machine we got a permit to run a generator all night long. Instead of running my onboard generator I ran one of my Honda 2000's which is quieter and more economical than the onboard generator. You can aim the exhaust away from anything to prevent fumes from being a problem.
There are also portable inverters which are reasonably priced which you can hook to your 12 V. system and it will put out 110 V. to run the C-Pap. The one I bought as a back up plan was around $45. I have never used it but I carry it along in my coach anyway. It's small and light and stores easily.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
You don’t want to run a gas gen over night because of the CO2 threat. You can safely run a diesel over nite. I do it all the time as long as nobody is near me. If someone is near I will fire the gen up and ask the person if it bothers them.
The problem with any internal combustion engine is CO (carbon monoxide) not CO2. A diesel engine still produces CO, so you still have to be concerned with the exhaust fumes.

If you want to run a generator all night, use TWO CO monitors, not just one.

Also, for the CPAP, increase your battery bank size and you should have capacity to run a CPAP overnight,.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #12

I run my generator overnight in Walmart or Flying J stops if it's hot enough for AC.

Most state and federal campgrounds have 10 PM quiet rules, so I use a fan.

In open air and a good generator ehxaust, the ehxaust it widely dispersed thru the small dimeter pipe creating a high velocity.

Don't park near anything that can block or trap the flow and you'll be fine.

PS: C0 fumes can kill you in the daytime too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by texax View Post
I have to sleep with a CPAP, and I need the electricity to power it when we’re boondocking.
Even if we’re OK to run a generator all night, do you really want the noise, noxious fumes and fuel expense of running it all night? Plus the wear on your expensive generator?

In even the short run, it is cheaper to upgrade your battery, or buy a cheap 300wh power station for $200. Buy a 12v adapter for your cpap ($19) to plug directly into the 12v outlet on the power station or your coach 12v outlet, which will significantly reduce power draw. If you must use humidifier, set it to level 1. My power station will power my cpap on level 1 for 3 nights, thereby offloading the drain on house batteries.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Even if we’re OK to run a generator all night, do you really want the noise, noxious fumes and fuel expense of running it all night? Plus the wear on your expensive generator?

In even the short run, it is cheaper to upgrade your battery, or buy a cheap 300wh power station for $200. Buy a 12v adapter for your cpap ($19) to plug directly into the 12v outlet on the power station or your coach 12v outlet, which will significantly reduce power draw. If you must use humidifier, set it to level 1. My power station will power my cpap on level 1 for 3 nights, thereby offloading the drain on house batteries.
You do want to run your generator, that's what it's built to do.
Ask anybody who doesn't use it, how expensive it is to get it fixed when it doesn't start from sitting around.

I had an opportunity to run mine fo 6 hours last night. Big storms knocked out the power so I spent 1/2 the night watching TV in the RV while it also keep my fridge nice and cold.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator