Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #1

Permanent camping, why in a RV park?

I'm not trying to make anyone mad but why would you put a camper in a RV park full time 10 foot away from the camper next to you permanently? Why not just move into a trailer court same thing. If I was going to camp permanently I would buy a few acres and put in a pond ,septic tank,water and electric. Be alone no one else except my loving wife. if I want to travail hook up and go.
Wolf222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf222 View Post
I'm not trying to make anyone mad but why would you put a camper in a RV park full time 10 foot away from the camper next to you permanently? Why not just move into a trailer court same thing. If I was going to camp permanently I would buy a few acres and put in a pond ,septic tank,water and electric. Be alone no one else except my loving wife. if I want to travail hook up and go.
Depends what your into. Just got back from visiting my folks in Arizona. "first time there" Full amenities, golf, ball diamonds, tennis courts, pools, hot tubs. All the different shops, wood working, stained glass etc.. They used to travel a lot they've been all over, I guess putting down some roots now. Not my cup of tea, but I could see how it could be attractive to some. Especially happy hour..LOL
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Cost. How much would this piece of land cost? Add in well, septic, plus getting power to the spot? It could easily top $30K. Most people living on a permanent spot simply dont have thst kind of money. There lucky to pay their site rent ewch month.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer parks are full of riff-raff, or so we get told here.

Deeded lots in RV "resorts" mean that condominium-type rules, restrictions and covenants apply. It also means a higher level of amenities, maintenance, landscaping and benefits can exist because there's a revenue stream to support them.

If I want to be away from people I'll boondock; if I want company or need a community I'll pick a camp ground or park. And if that experience sucks the ignition switch is conveniently available....
Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Many of the old trailer parks are gone, and even if they are still around they are not designed for RV hookups. It is cheaper & easier for people with limited financial resources to just live in a cheap RV in an RV park. And in most cases, there is a laundromat on the premises. Simple dollars and sense ... and provides a more steady income for the park owner. The result is that many RV parks have become like the old trailer parks, and space for true RVers is more and more limited.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

This really depends on how you define permanent, there I live near an area where there is a big industrial construction boom going on, as a result a number of "rv parks" have been built in the last few years. These are mostly low amenities rv parks, that may have a laundry room, gravel parking area and hook ups, where nearly all the tenants are contract workers. These contract workers may be in the area for months, or even years living out of mostly trailers or more likely 5th wheels. These are often people that work long construction job hours, get good to very good pay, and just need a place to sleep and eat, so don't care about amenities. In addition to these lower end RV parks a number of nicer rv parks have been built in the area to cater mostly to these same people, but those that either make more money doing contract work, or that have families along with them. I can think of 2 in the area that are again almost entirely occupied by contract workers that have gated access, man made fishing ponds, swimming pools, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #7

Friends and activities. Kayaking club, bicycle club, painting club, horseshoe club, swimming pool, hot tub, like minded people, pot lucks, friendy camp fires, laundry mat, club house, calendar of events, club house meal events, friendly people helping each other fix their RV's etc etc.

If you want to he alone you can, if you want to be social you can.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
tcg

Property that allows a trailer instead of a permanent structure is hard to find in my neck of the woods.

Even if I could find it why would I commit to purchasing property that may not be easy to sell when I decide I don't need it anymore.

Not sure what you mean by trailer court but if you mean a mobile home park it's not really easy to move one of those with a pickup truck.

We've been looking for a campground where we can leave our Class C for the summer and use it as a cottage on Lake Huron while still being able to take it anywhere we want anytime we want.

Many reasons why people would do things you wouldn't. It's what makes the world go round and round.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Friends and activities. Kayaking club, bicycle club, painting club, horseshoe club, swimming pool, hot tub, like minded people, pot lucks, friendy camp fires, laundry mat, club house, calendar of events, club house meal events, friendly people helping each other fix their RV's etc etc.

If you want to he alone you can, if you want to be social you can.
You forgot its nice to just to be set up when I arrive. I can also pull it and travel when I want.
Wcordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have a close friend who owns an RV park in a small town not known for it's tourist attractions and not on a major interstate. Most of his business comes from his monthly residents. If it were not for them, he would not be profitable.
He does get a few short stay folks, but the monthly folks pay the bills.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping