Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #15

Use the GVWR of the trailer as your guide for towing it. You will find how fast and easy it is to get the trailer near or at gross weight with water, supplies, propane, batteries, tools, etc. Then decide if the truck will be happy pulling it. If you look at the trailer's tongue weight using 13 percent of trailer's gross weight you can decide how much of the truck's payload will remain after the tongue weight is added.

I whole heartedly agree with the previous poster about tires. I have learned my tire lessons. I would not look at any new trailer with 15 inch tires. If you find a trailer with 16 inch tires there are many more choices of tires to use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
Use the GVWR of the trailer as your guide for towing it. You will find how fast and easy it is to get the trailer near or at gross weight with water, supplies, propane, batteries, tools, etc. Then decide if the truck will be happy pulling it. If you look at the trailer's tongue weight using 13 percent of trailer's gross weight you can decide how much of the truck's payload will remain after the tongue weight is added.

I whole heartedly agree with the previous poster about tires. I have learned my tire lessons. I would not look at any new trailer with 15 inch tires. If you find a trailer with 16 inch tires there are many more choices of tires to use.
Thanks for mentioning TIRES! Will be sure to find out what they all are, on those models we are looking at.
kasha 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
My wife and I had a 2006 Keystone Outback for five years, bought it new. In the five years of use, we replaced the manual jack, foot pedal on the toilet, the plastic faucet neck on the kitchen sink, a door knob and the hooks that hold the doors open. I think this is pretty darn good considering how we used it and the fact we stored it outside.

When we were trying to decide on our latest rv, we looked at some travel trailers and really liked the Keystone Cougar...I would not hesitate to buy another Keystone product.
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
Kel

What I have learned from my TT shopping experience is that they're ALL cheap. The key is to hopefully find the least cheap. I have now had a Keystone Columbia for 10 years and after a steady diet of desert and mountain camping in fairly extreme weather I am still quite happy with it. I've had my share of minor repairs like running down several leaks that just needed sealing and recently had to replace all leaf springs which I now know were pretty light duty to begin with.(check for that). Mine has an interior alum. frame which was important to me. They don't make the Columbia anymore but I understand the Cougar took it's place. Good luck, Kel.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #19

"What I have learned from my TT shopping experience is that they're ALL cheap." Well, cheaply made anyway. After seeing some of the asking prices, even on popups, I don't think "cheap" applies to anything.

That said, we've been going to whatever RV shows we can just to see what there is to see. We haven't committed to a class of RV for full-time yet, much less start to look for the ideal coach, and every show teaches us at least one more thing to ask about or discuss at home. We've talked to people who own coaches that we're looking at, and they are usually pretty honest about telling us the good and the bad.

Visiting factories is also a good way to learn what you want and don't want. We visited three factories last summer, and are planning on visiting at least two more this summer.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #20

RV SHOWS help a lot, we know! Everytime an RV show is scheduled for our area, we go to it! AND you are all right in that, that is the ideal time to see most brands all in one place, depending on how large the show is....When we go, I carry my pen/paper with me, to make notes, on anything we missed, from the last time we saw a particular model. Plus my husband takes a few photos, so we can review later, at home, without getting mixed up on 'which one was that?' We've actually come home with "new" thoughts on some of them, because each time we go into a particular one (that we might have on our short list!), you find something that you overlooked, or something else to consider, after you have gone through it, sat in, opened drawers, closets, etc. noted features you like and dislike, etc....so yes, it pays to RV shop and browse at RV Shows....

Not sure about buying at an RV Show --- all depends on if the time is right, etc....Plus when researching, you pretty well know what price range they all are, and can note the "show discounts" if they are "really" the "best deal in town", so to speak.

On going to the Factories, that is our next step, hopefully.....since we live in Florida, it's a major "vacation" destination for us, but would love to see how most TT's are constructed these days. Question for anyone who's been to the factories --Are most brands made in Northern part of Indiana? From what I have found online, it seems that way.

Appreciate all the advice and insight on picking the right TT. Excellent input and thanks!
kasha 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I owned a TT for almost 20 years before buying a MH. Buy the floor plan your wife likes. If you find one well built at a dealer that is good, give that one a extra consideration. They all use the same appliances.

X3 on the tires. Manufacturers will likely have 3500# axles. In other words, barely enough if you subtract hitch weight. Tires will be sized the same, too small. I went to 6k axels and D rated tires before I quit having flats, this on a 7K trailer. You don't say what model 1500. Less than a 4 door you will want a some sway reduction and a load distribution hitch, of course.

Best way to do this is to buy the trailer you like then get the correct truck to pull it. I started with a small block. It will be fine for back roads and speeds of around 60. Keep very close attention to engine and tranny temps, regular maintenance is a must. Half tons sport good numbers but will wear quickly, IMO.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel