Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #29

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
It wasn't a case of poor handling. It was a case of my not being comfortable with how my truck/travel trailer combination acted going down fairly significant (6% - 7% downhill grade). I MUCH prefer the engine braking effect I have with my diesel equipped coach.

I am glad you got an actual weight. So many people just rely on numbers they find on the Internet and end up exceeding their Gross Combined Weight Rating.

Just remember to utilize Tow/Haul mode on your transmission.

Best of luck to you. I hope you have a better experience towing your travel trailer than I did.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molmen View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, advice and support! I've already learned more in these exchanges than speaking with 6 salesmen and looking at countless websites and videos.
The misinformation, or actually wrong information started with
Ford, on your vehicle. I don't see how Ford can rate your vehicle to tow 9,200#, when the vehicle with a full tank of gas (and I assume not much else in it) weighs 6,050#. When you subtract that from the 15,100# GCWR you're down to a tow limit of 9,050#.
With no gas and no driver, hooked up to 9,200#, you'd be right at your GCWR,
Old 06-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbramsey View Post
It wasn't a case of poor handling. It was a case of my not being comfortable with how my truck/travel trailer combination acted going down fairly significant (6% - 7% downhill grade). I MUCH prefer the engine braking effect I have with my diesel equipped coach.

I am glad you got an actual weight. So many people just rely on numbers they find on the Internet and end up exceeding their Gross Combined Weight Rating.

Just remember to utilize Tow/Haul mode on your transmission.

Best of luck to you. I hope you have a better experience towing your travel trailer than I did.
Thanks. I do have manual control on my transmission (+/- buttons on shifter) but if I understand your comment correctly, you disliked the engine braking on your F150 and preferred the engine braking on your diesel. I'm guessing that the F150 allowed too high of a RPM compared to the resistivity of the engine braking. Am I on the right track with that thought?
Molmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #32

To answer one of your questions.. we don't use our outside kitchen near as much as I thought we would. I didn't notice till after we bought it but it sits pretty high, so much so that its awkward to cook. I'm glad we have it though for morning coffee without waking kids/wife up.

Good luck with your search. You might be surprised how comfortable everyone can be in a smaller trailer if you find the right floor plan for you.
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #33
ODH

I would suggest you look into hybrid TTs like the Jayco X23F or the Rockwood Roo 233S. They would be well within your towing capacity and with 3 bedrooms provide ample space for your family. As the beds are not deployed until you are in your site you can get the TT in many campgrounds that would not allow a 30 ft TT.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I don't see how stopping (a panic stop or normal) would be an issue. Properly adjusted trailer brakes should eliminate that as a problem.
I'm curious if you ever had to stop your RV and the ABS system kicked in?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #35

My opinion on your questions, I think the outdoor kitchen is worth it. Without it we'd be packing more gear so it makes it so I have less to bring. Ours doesn't have a fridge in it. I really wish it did so beer was closer at hand.

Another door to the bathroom might be nice but it's certainly not a deal breaker. I look at it as another door to potentially leak someday.

An island would be great for more counter space. But we've managed to make due with what we got.

Our trailer(in sig) has the bunks and we have two girls and a dog with us. The girls could easily double up on one bunk as they are so large. The dinette converts to a bed and it is not too bad to sleep on. But a pain to convert it every night and morning.

Even downsizing trailers, let's say to a 5000lb dry one, you are still looking to be overloaded. 1000lb of gear and now 10%-15% tongue weight is 600lbs - 900lbs. And your calculations didn't leave you with enough capacity for that if I remember right. You'd have to sacrifice way too much IMO. My previous half ton was rated to tow 9200lbs, same as yours, but I had a payload rating of 1800lbs and tongue weight rating of 920lbs. The last trip I took it on we were dry camping and even with a 4700lb dry weight 26.5' trailer I ended up over loaded due to water tank and all the additional gear. I hit a dip in the road and the front end popped up and for a moment I lost steering. Luckily we were going in a straight line. After that I sold the truck and got the Ram I have now.
I know this sucks because you just bought your vehicle but if it were me i'd sell it, take the loss, and pick up a 3/4 ton. Then you won't have to compromise on your trailer and you can get something that better fits your family.

Tow/Haul mode shifts more aggressively to help control your speed going downhill. My 3/4 ton does it much better than my half ton did. And with the diesel I have an exhaust brake as well. What that means is as long as traffic isn't an issue I can go down a mountain and never touch my brakes. Safer. Improves brake life.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
The misinformation, or actually wrong information started with
Ford, on your vehicle. I don't see how Ford can rate your vehicle to tow 9,200#, when the vehicle with a full tank of gas (and I assume not much else in it) weighs 6,050#. When you subtract that from the 15,100# GCWR you're down to a tow limit of 9,050#.
With no gas and no driver, hooked up to 9,200#, you'd be right at your GCWR,
Yes, much of the discussion about the finer details of weight ratings are heavily glossed over by the available online resources for ford towing.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparechange View Post
To answer one of your questions.. we don't use our outside kitchen near as much as I thought we would. I didn't notice till after we bought it but it sits pretty high, so much so that its awkward to cook. I'm glad we have it though for morning coffee without waking kids/wife up.

Good luck with your search. You might be surprised how comfortable everyone can be in a smaller trailer if you find the right floor plan for you.
Good info, thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post
I would suggest you look into hybrid TTs like the Jayco X23F or the Rockwood Roo 233S. They would be well within your towing capacity and with 3 bedrooms provide ample space for your family. As the beds are not deployed until you are in your site you can get the TT in many campgrounds that would not allow a 30 ft TT.
That is certainly something to consider based on tow weight. Initially, I shied away from them out of concern for leaking issues. I do really like the increased options for national parks. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious if you ever had to stop your RV and the ABS system kicked in?
That is a very interesting point!
Old 06-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #40

archer75 - thanks for the detailed info. Scary to think about wheelies and no steering... I'm going to have to reset and think fresh on it obviously. I've kept my past vehicles a decade or more, so considering changing is not instinctual.

Size-wise for the trailer, I may be underestimating my family's resiliency/patience/harmony, even though we like our own space at home. Camping is after all, camping. There is much that can be said for the closeness associated with it... and the memories from those experiences.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #41
ODH

PHP Code:
InitiallyI shied away from them out of concern for leaking issues
I have never had any problems with leaks, just make sure none of the tent fabric is between the seals when you close them up. The tent ends let in more noise than a conventional TT, which can be a problem if you frequent commercial campgrounds where the sites are close together. Also, the tent ends heat up quicker in the sun, which was a problem with desert camping. I went with pup-up gizmos several years age which solved that problem.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #42

You asked about size difference excluding you from camping sites. Let me preface this by saying that years back we went from a 26' Class C to full size van pulling a 26' TT. That lasted less than a year. Next was a 32' Class A. Having the room to negotiate backing that TT into a site was very problematic. We found that a very small percentage of the sites in the state & national parks in Cal would accomodate us. That is when we started using private parks. I would suggest, if at all possible, that you do a road trip to the parks where you would like to take your TT. Look at the size rigs in the facilities you would like to enjoy. And how you want to use it. Finally, let me really throw a wrench into the works. My two kids absolutely loved RV'ing. Each trip usually started with a 700 mile drive to their grandparent's place. I often did the drive in one day, with them seat belted into their bunk beds, rotating who got to sit up front in the passenger's seat. Occasionally, as quickly & carefully as possible grabbing a snack from the frig or hitting the restroom. With those cherished memories in mind, my daughter & her husband purchased a toy hauler TT. Their first trip was up to the very destination she had enjoyed as a kid. They took 2 days. The kids hated it. They had to remain seated at all times in their Ram truck's back seats. She now realizes, though she spent 99% of her time belted in, traveling in Class C bunk bed was what made the long drives tolerable at her age. Remember, your TT may qualify as a second home write-off. Your tow vehicle will not. The entire motorhome will.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase