Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #1

Portable air conditioner for TT

I am resigned to spending the hottest summer of my life in Mohave Valley AZ. I hesitated too long to move to a cooler area. That being said, could someone recommend a small, portable air conditioner (such as ones on Lowe’s or HD)?
I think I might be able to stand the promised temps of >115F, but my two little furry travelers will be endangered. Any kind advice would be appreciated. This is my first summer in the Bullet. Thank you and stay well and safe.
LBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #2

If not done already tint the windows. Tint with dark tint. and deploy awnings you have. window awnings will help. If you can get the nose of the TT facing east or west. It will keep the sun on the short axis of the TT. this reducing the heat absorbtion. being in arizona humidity wont be a prob. if possible get an rv tech to clean the evoprator coils as well as condenser coils in the A/C . Has your roof been cleaned and UV treated. Cleaning the roof and making it bright white will help it reflect heat as well. Just a few things ive learned in the years full timing

Leave your AC on high fan and high cool.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:01 PM   #3

Thank you consolenut. I’ve used Refectix inside my cupboards and as window covers. Windows are tinted. I’ll get busy on the roof and check the positioning of the trailer nose. I think I’ll check out Lowe’s and their portables, keeping your recommendations in mind. Thx again.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #4

An RV is an oven in the summer, you will need A/C, or I would. What size rv do you have? A small portable a/c will not cool a trailer at 115 degrees.
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:18 AM   #5

If possible, make some sort of frame so you can take a large tarp and cover your trailer with it so the roof and walls (to some extent) are not getting direct sun exposure. Put insulation on the interior side of windows as just tinting them is not sufficient.

If you don't already have built in air conditioning, any of the portable units may not be sufficient.

If forced to not use air conditioning at peak heat times, consider upgrading and exhaust fans you have to fans such as the Maxxair that have multiple speeds and are better at exhausting hot air or bringing in cooler air (option for night).

I wish you well and hope you can find some solutions to stay comfortable.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

I've read that you need a two-hose unit; one hose to suck outside air in and the other to discharge the heated air. Otherwise, with a single hose unit, you will be blowing your cooled trailer air outside and drawing in outside hot air through the cracks and openings of your trailer.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I've read that you need a two-hose unit; one hose to suck outside air in and the other to discharge the heated air. Otherwise, with a single hose unit, you will be blowing your cooled trailer air outside and drawing in outside hot air through the cracks and openings of your trailer.
I did a lot of research on this. What you say is very true... a two-hose unit is preferred for actual cooling. And you want the two hoses separated... the last thing you want is to have the intake hose downwind from the exhaust hose. I placed my two-hose unit up by the engine doghouse, with one hose going to a wooden panel that I sized for and placed in the drivers window, and the other in a mirror-image panel in the passenger window. It worked very well.

Some other ideas that may help stay cooler:

Google the term "magneshade" here on irv2, there are a few comment threads on making your own inexpensive version. Put those on your windshield... it's one of the major heat sources in the summer. If your back window is large it may pay to put one there a well.

One of the homebrew ones is here:
https: // roadtreklife.blogspot.com/2013/03/diy-reflectix-window-insulation.html

This also works:
My drivers and passenger windows and two of my side windows on the bedroom are the same shape, so I used a reflective outer layer on one side of the window covers, a black cloth on the other... the reflective side faced the outside in the summer to reflect heat, the black side faced the outside to absorb heat in the winter... but the exterior homebrew magneshades worked better in the summer as the heat never got inside.

If you have any way to place a sunshade over your entire MH then do it. Even a framework of EMT holding some silver tarps... A friend of mine lived in Mohave Valley for two years and when i visited I saw a lot of the fulltimer MHs you see are under a carport-style structure - 6 inches to a foot of clearance above the MH itself. One of the a locals stated that those "super carports" are good for 20 degrees or more in the summer.

Mike
Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

I don't understand 'too late' to get to a cooler area. It is easier to stay warm than to stay cool IMHO. I spent a miserable summer in my 50amp two A/C equipped 5th wheel on a 30amp service where I could only run 1 A/C unit. I looked at those portable units but did not understand them. This was in 2015 so in 5 years maybe they got better.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:25 PM   #9

I'd seriously look into an evaporative cooler. Amazing how much you can drop the temp.
Also, as stated above, shade!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
If possible, make some sort of frame so you can take a large tarp and cover your trailer with it so the roof and walls (to some extent) are not getting direct sun exposure.
By far the best thing you can do ! You need at least 12" between the tarp and the trailer. 24" would be better.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
Cat

I lived in Southern AZ and used a portable A/C. It worked well, as stated you need to get a two hose portable otherwise you will get vey little benefit. The suggestion of evaporative cooler is a good one. It will move a lot of air. My biggest fear was my ac would stop and a TT or MH inside temperature will go to 140f and above very very quickly, and I had my pets in the MH also. I also used a temperature alert device to alert me if the Temps got high.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #12

You need to draft an evac plan.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:58 AM   #13

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my question.
This is really the first time I have used the resources of a forum, so if I neglect to respond or seem unappreciative, forgive me.
1. I am full timing in a 2018 Keystone Bullet. It has a good air conditioner; as I mentioned, I have lined my cupboards with Reflectix and have made window covers with it.
2. I said that I was resigned to remaining in Mohave Valley; most other rv parks have put a hold on new travelers, making it less feasible to go higher and cooler. I agree with the choice to discourage movements of rvers unless, as is happening here, snowbirds are traveling to return to their home ports. I have no intention of returning to Washington state. This park is fine; I’m just new at this lifestyle and anxious about dealing with the heat, promised to be in the 120’s.
3. I’m trying to figure a way to shade the trailer, but it’s probably not going to happen.
I’m going to get a portable a/c with TWO HOSES! I heard that, thanks.
I’ll keep running MaxxAir fans, heard that, too!
I think the roof is in good shape, but I’ll check this weekend.

Again, thank you all for helping me learn to use a forum.

(By the way, how do I add my equipment profile to my posts?)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 AM   #14

Look at the second box down from the top of the page and click on "User CP". That will open up a menu on the left side of the screen. Click on "Edit Signature" and you will be able to add info to your signature.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner