Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2022, 11:04 PM   #57

Forest River Owners Club
“Cheap is neat and you get what you pay for”??????

Hopefully not all “Honda” owners are as pompous as you appear to be!!!

Forgive me for being offended by your attitude but there actually are other very well made generators other than Honda...

Good Grief!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 11:47 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHart View Post
The difference in noise level between 57 and 61 would be noticeable especially in the evening when its quiet. Cheap is neat but you get what you pay for! I'd stick with the honda your neighbors will appreciate it and in the end you will be happier overall. Just saying!
If my neighbors will appreciate me spending double the price on a generator just to make them happy with less noise, what will they do if I spend quadruple the price and get a complete solar and battery setup so there’s zero noise? Will they pay my truck note or my house mortgage because I spent all my money on a rv power system just to make them happy? No? Well that’s pretty inconsiderate of them since seeing I went poor just to make them happy they can hear crickets at the campground instead of a generator. The least they could do is pay me something for it.

I’ll stick with the cheaper Champion, and I will appreciate still being able to pay my bills afterwards.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:01 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
If "MY" neighbors have barking yard monkeys and screaming dogs, I aim my exhaust in their direction..
This has rarely happened, but when a polite request doesn't work ..........Then I move.
Some folks don't seem to be able to handle peace & quiet..Dang-it!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:39 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHart View Post
The difference in noise level between 57 and 61 would be noticeable especially in the evening when its quiet. Cheap is neat but you get what you pay for! I'd stick with the honda your neighbors will appreciate it and in the end you will be happier overall. Just saying!
I have two Honda's (EU 2000) myself but my son recently bought the WEN 3800 which honestly isn't much louder than my Honda 2000's running together. He paid less than 1/3 the price I paid for the Hondas and even has electric start. Believe me there are several louder generators running anyplace he camps.
After buying his new camper and outfitting the truck and camper so they are usable the budget was getting squeezed so he had to cut back somewhere.
I'm sure there are several reasons not every generator in a campground is not a Honda. Some folks simply can't justify the cost because they may only use a generator a couple times a season or they don't have the extra cash to buy a Honda.
Stay within the times generators are allowed to run at any given venue and a little more noise from a lower priced generator shouldn't offend anyone. I'm not referring to the open frame or contractor style generators. They are a little intrusive if they aren't placed away from other campers and equipped with quieter exhaust systems. Some folks have found ways to even quiet these generators down to where they shouldn't offend anyone.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:56 AM   #61

One other think I really like about my Champion Dual Fuel is that they have made maintenance pretty easy. Two solid handles make it easy to lift onto a bench. Only two screws to open the engine cover - flat, Phillips or even a coin will work.

The oil drain plug has a hose attached that is clamped up high. All you have to do is pinch the hose clamp with a pair of pliers and lower the hose into a container on the outside of the generator case. When drained "park" it again at the top and replace the clamp. No need to find the right socket, extension, etc. and have to deal with oil dripping everywhere due to awkward drain points.

You will need a long funnel (came with the generator) to refill as the opening is at a very shallow angle.

Similar on draining the gas - there is a clear tube on the bottom of the carb. Just route that to a gas can and turn the screw on the bottom to let it flow.

You can also burn off the fuel in the carb when shutting down by rotating the fuel type lever to the propane position - the fuel shutoff is integrated into that lever so it will run for a couple more seconds before stalling out.

My cheap open frame generator required disconnecting the fuel line to drain and I ended up actually breaking the valve one time. A replacement was only about $10 on amazon, but still a major pain. I am much more likely to actually do the PM on the Champion since it is easier.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

Hopefully not all “Honda” owners are as pompous as you appear to be!!!

Good Grief!!!!
Now who is being pompous. As I had stated, the pair of EU2000i generators have run flawlessly for well over 10 or 12 years. So, I did spend more than you can get the Champions and Predators now but spread that extra difference over 12 years. My pair of Hondas were about $2000 back then and now you can get a Champion for what, $600. OK, that is an extra $1400 spread over 12 years of trouble-free service....that is less than $120 per year.

But I am willing to buy reliability over price. If all you can afford is a Champion, go for it, but maintain it well and you should get a few years of service from it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:10 AM   #63

It’s not a matter of what you can afford. That my friend is a gaslight.
It’s a matter of what you believe works best for you. Hondas work best for you? Great, I’m glad you’re happy. They are the best quality and quietest generator. But please don’t insult everybody who chose something other than a Honda. I’m more than happy with my $600 propane Champion, and would make the same choice if somebody died and willed me a Honda.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Anyone use a Champion Power Equipment 200988 4500-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator, Electric Start while camping????
Cummins/onan p4500i .check it out 52 decibel, has 30 amp rv plug ,weights about 96 pounds ,3 year warranty and about $1200.00 and free delivery to home ,from camping world. I have 1 and love it and great on fuel
portjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
A Honda 3000 cost roughly 2 1/2 times the price of a Champion 4500. Is the Honda 2 1/2 times more dependable in both performance and longevity? Even if the Champion only last on average 5 years, I can still get 12 years of Champion generators before I reach the price of a Honda. And the resale price of a 12 yo Honda… probably not the greatest anyways.
I have pair of Honda EU2000 that I bought in 2004 (IIRC). I retired them last year. One was working just fine, the other was not. The working unit is still in my "farm utility trailer" and is used when I need to make repairs that need power tools. The other is a giant paperweight.

IMO, based upon my experience, you can achieve an 18 year life expectancy with one of these units. And you'll never be asked to shut them off 'cause they are disturbing your neighbors sleep. Well, almost never.

They are a fine example of the old adage that, "Quality Doesn't Cost, It Pays."

Hoss
Hoss Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:50 PM   #66

This is the new edition of "Storage Wars".
Old 07-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

But I am willing to buy reliability over price. If all you can afford is a Champion, go for it, but maintain it well and you should get a few years of service from it.

Ken
Sometimes is doesn’t come down to “what you can afford”, but more of a “what makes sense” for a given situation. I can afford to go out and buy 10 Honda’s along with 10 300amp lithium batteries, 1 generator for each battery, for my camper. But why would I when something else works just as fine.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
This is the new edition of "Storage Wars".
Brand loyalty will do that. Ever been in the room with a Chevy guy & a Ford guy going at it?
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Brand loyalty will do that. Ever been in the room with a Chevy guy & a Ford guy going at it?
Oh yeah! Then a Dodge guy walks in and they both shut up.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #70

I run 2 Champion dual fuel 2500 in parallel to run my a/c..can't remember if I tried running 2 as I was experimenting at home with them. Great that they are pretty light weighing less than 50 lbs each.
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators