Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
My criteria for portables is weight and price.

That illustrates my point perfectly; everone has different criteria. For me noise is #1 followed by reliabilty and longevity......weight and price barely register. I had a built in Onan in mt last RV; it was so loud that I only had 40 hrs on it after 18 years.

2 cents
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2022, 06:37 PM   #30

My son recently bought a 2017 Coachmen Catalina 28' travel trailer. After buying the trailer and some accessories he needed which didn't come with it his budget was pretty well used up. Wanting a generator, he started doing some research and found a WEN 3800 inverter generator, electric start (battery included) which was on sale for $649 shipping included.
We camped for the weekend two weeks ago at a State park which had no hookups. There were generators there of every brand and description. He ran the WEN and as far as I could see the only generator in the same wattage class which was any quieter was a Honda just a couple sites away and the Honda was not all that much quieter.
Worth taking a look at IMO.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #31

Ernest917
It appears that you stirred up a hornets nest with this question.
I really can't answer your question as I don't know your power needs. I think a little more info may help someone so you could get good info to make a wise decision.
Dustyone
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #32

There’s plenty of good info on this thread, and others like it for OP to become well informed about small generators. It all boils down to what is most important for the OP.

1. If price is the driving criteria, don’t even look at a Honda. Many small gens $500-600, and Honda costs twice as much.
2. If noise and quality are the driving criteria, don’t look at anything but a Honda. All others are about the same.
3. If weight is the driver, I think my Champion wins @ 39lbs
4. If propane is a must, there are only a few to choose from, unless you do a aftermarket mod.
5. If nothing else matters but value (price per watt), I think the HF Predator and Wen are winners.
Old 07-24-2022, 05:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Good grief!!!! As the OP, I didn’t start this thread to have a battle between Honda and everyone else!!!!

All I wanted was input from folks actually using their generator in a camping situation!!!!

What are you able to use in your rig; how often do you have to refill gas/propane; etc... Actual usable information!!!

We all know everyone had their favorite brand so let’s move past that - OK???? It got a tad frustrating....
So nobody is able or wants to answer your questions so I will give it my best.

I have a Honda 2000 the rare "Camo" shell, few weeks ago my power was out at home, 17 hours. So I fire up the Honda and plug in the 3 door full size refrigerator, and then of course my Direct TV set up, then a couple small fans, and as it got dark a couple small lights.

This was a 100 degree day so you know all this ran often. The Honda barely went off the low speed on ECO. I only run True fuel, No ethanol for me in a small motor. I ran about 2-3 quarts of fuel. I could have run a lot more items if needed likely. Hope this helps!!
Old 07-24-2022, 11:10 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
I have a Bighorn 5th wheel here in “toasty” Texas...

Our power grid is always suspect when put under stress so I wanted a portable “enclosed” generator to relieve some of my stress...

I realize my Champion 4500 dual fuel won’t power my entire trailer (2 - 15,000 AC’s, residential fridge, water heater(which I could switch to propane), ceiling fan, led lights, microwave, etc...) but I just wanted a feel for what would be realistic...

I believe it’ll handle one AC, fridge, lights and maybe microwave (if I turn off AC). At least that’s what I hope...

Am I expected too much??
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:09 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have a Bighorn 5th wheel here in “toasty” Texas...

Our power grid is always suspect when put under stress so I wanted a portable “enclosed” generator to relieve some of my stress...

I realize my Champion 4500 dual fuel won’t power my entire trailer (2 - 15,000 AC’s, residential fridge, water heater(which I could switch to propane), ceiling fan, led lights, microwave, etc...) but I just wanted a feel for what would be realistic...

I believe it’ll handle one AC, fridge, lights and maybe microwave (if I turn off AC). At least that’s what I hope...

Am I expected too much??
You might refer back to my reply in post #2. The Champion you are looking at actually supplies 3500 watts on gas and 3150 watts on propane. It will take a surge while starting to 4500 watts. Your A/C's draw about 1800 watts each. The fridge about 500 watts and the microwave about 1400 watts. You can check your model spec's for exact numbers.

So, you would likely be fine with 1 A/C, the fridge and likely the water heater. I don't know what wattage element your water heater has in it. Just a matter of adding up draws and staying under continuous rating. Surge will get you thru compressor startups. The microwave is only a draw when used, often for less than a couple minutes.

Two A/C's will require the fridge and water heater off while using 2nd A/C. That can be done. Limit opening the fridge door and water will stay hot for a while or use propane. This is based on gasoline power. The genny on propane cannot do both A/C's unless you have Soft-Starts installed. Only 3150 watts on propane.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:00 AM   #36

One quirk to watch for on Champion Dual Fuel generators - if the battery is dead it won't pull start on gasoline. I changed the oil and charged the battery on my 3500 watt before the last trip but I must have forgotten to turn off the battery switch and the battery drained. There is a solenoid on the carburetor that switches from propane to gasoline when you rotate the lever for fuel selection. With a completely dead battery there is no power to activate the solenoid. Of course I forgot to pack the propane hose for it, nor did I think to grab my battery jump starter. Thankfully was on a friends property and had electric to run most stuff, but not the AC.

I just added a quick disconnect to it so I can have a float charger connected without having to remove a panel while it sits in the garage waiting to be needed.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks guys....

That’s kinda what I thought...

Didn’t know about dead battery and pull start tho....
Old 07-25-2022, 09:26 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Got my new generator today...

Did the 5 hr break in and filled with 5W30 synthetic oil....

Was very impressed with how quiet it is.....
Old 07-25-2022, 09:33 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Got my new generator today...

Did the 5 hr break in and filled with 5W30 synthetic oil....

Was very impressed with how quiet it is.....
Congratulations, Hope it meets your needs and gives good service.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:09 PM   #40

For what it is worth:
We bought a Westinghouse iN2500 generator. Then I took a blue food grade plastic barrel and cut the barrel about 28" up from the bottom and lined it with bubble wrap sound insulation. then cut an entrance and exit for controls, intake, and exhaust. Flip the thing upside down and put it over the generator.
I made an extension/adapter for the "shorty" exhaust pipe so I could add a diesel heater muffler silencing kit and then 3" of straight pipe.

Amazing how quiet the generator is running on idle and low. Also, using the barrel upside down on the generator lets it act as a weather protector and kind of hides it from "sticky fingers" and moonlight shoppers that might be scouting during the daylight hours.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:26 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Nite hawk...

Pictures???
Old 07-26-2022, 02:00 AM   #42

Quote:
Nite hawk...

Pictures???
I'd like to see them too. Before and after the generator melts down running in that barrel.

Tags
generator, generators