Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #1

Portable waste water tanks

Looking to get educated. Wife and I just purchased a new self contained unit. Nano apex. It has 35 gallon grey and black tanks. This is not my first TT, but it is my first one using my tanks. We saw a lot of people using the portable tanks, or at least have them on site. So, does one use these to empty either grey or black tank because their tanks are near full and they are not ready to break camp? This would give them more room in their TT tank. I know how to be conservative. I see people tow them to dump station. Can you use them on your grey and black, or are made specifically for one type of tank? I searched the forum and got a lot of info but still searching. Thanks in advance. " Charlie"
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Looking to get educated. Wife and I just purchased a new self contained unit. Nano apex. It has 35 gallon grey and black tanks. This is not my first TT, but it is my first one using my tanks. We saw a lot of people using the portable tanks, or at least have them on site. So, does one use these to empty either grey or black tank because their tanks are near full and they are not ready to break camp? This would give them more room in their TT tank. I know how to be conservative. I see people tow them to dump station. Can you use them on your grey and black, or are made specifically for one type of tank? I searched the forum and got a lot of info but still searching. Thanks in advance. " Charlie"
If you are on site with a sewer dump you do not need the portable tank, just dump when your tanks are full. Black tank first then the gray tank.
If you do NOT have a sewer hookup, and to keep from moving your RV, you need to use the portable tank. These portable are made for either black or gray water it does not matter. But remember dump your black tank first so you can use the gray to help clean the hose and tank out.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #3

In all the years we boondocked and carried tote tanks I never used it for black water. Gray only. Dont concern yourself with a tank large enouh to empty your holding tank. Fill, empty, fill empty. Might take a coiple of trips, but its better than trying to move a hundred pounds of water all at one time.
Unless you have a dump station close by you wont be able to dump black water. Gray water can usually go in a teepee if they still have them where you camp. Around me the NF camp grounds still have them.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #4

We can make it about 4 days on the gray water tank from the shower/bathroom sink. If we are staying longer, we use the portable to keep from breaking camp just to dump. I bought a BlueBoy that matches the capacity of my gray water tank so I only have to make one trip to the dumpstation.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ask yourself, "If I had to, could I pick up the handle end of the tank and wheel it where I need to go to dump it myself?"

That made me get a smaller tank than I thought I wanted for the job, and it's still pretty heavy to pick up the handle and walk with it to the dump when I need to use it. Sure, it came with a bent thick wire attachment to haul the tank to the dump with a vehicle with a hitch, but what if the vehicle isn't available?
Old 06-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #6

A lot of state parks have 1 fresh (Potable) water station and 1 dump station. As I pull into a state park my black tank and gray tank and fresh water tank are empty. I pull up to the potable water and fill my fresh water tank. Then I go to my site. I have a 35 gallon tote. My wife and I can usually go 4 or 5 days on our gray tank. I take a navy shower. I monitor the gray tank as well as black tank. Black tank will be 1/3 full and gray will be full. I hook up my tote to my trailer and dump the black tank so now it is empty and my tote is 1/3 full. I then dump the gray tank until the little indicator pops up then I close my gray tank dump valve. I then hook my full 35 gallon tote to the trailer hitch on my truck. I slowly pull it to the state park dump station. I then dump the tote. Now to get the rest of the gray water so I repeat the process. When done the trailer did not move and the black and gray tanks are empty. I use 6 gallon water containers to get more fresh water as needed.

The totes handles are built to fit on the ball on the truck hitch.

If you do not have a 'sewage' tote you would need to move the trailer to the dump site. To me, the tote is a a bit better.

If you stay at a RV Resort or State Park with full hook-ups you do not need a tote.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #7

I spent the money on a tote that has rubber wheels and greaseable tire bareings.
I cant remember the brand name, found it online.
If having to go far, a masorator is handy, as I can put tote in truck bed and pump waist into it, then pump out or dump at station. Lots of places the grey can go on the ground, but always ask first.
To get fresh water I have a portable water bladder that goes in the back of the truck bed, made for temp weight for winter. It holds 50 or more gallons, and when empty folds up and goes in back of the seat.
Im not big on dry camping, but have everything for it.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 AM   #8

They are just for hauling waste and water from either tank if you'd rather not move your RV.

I've see them used, but haven't had a use for one. I can usually stay a week or so before my grey water is full, never filled my black tank. Some places you can dump your grey water on the ground (it's just soap and water with maybe a little grease from the kitchen). People will routinely throw their dish water on the ground when tent camping, but some seem to think that once it hits a holding tank it must be transferred to an official dump station.

I carry a 5 gallon bucket if it is necessary to either haul grey to the dump or to where I can dump.

Personally I'd rather take the trailer to the dump if necessary, but it hasn't come up yet.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water