Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Power awning issues

This sounds crazy. On our last trip out, I attempted to extend the awning with the switch inside the camper. But it wouldn't go out. Then I noticed that by pressing the switch to the "In" position, the awning did go out. Pressing the "Out" position, the awning came in. I have never noticed this in the past. The awning also moved very slowly. I know that one of the shocks on the awning is bad, thus the awning did not operate correctly. I have two new shocks to replae the two currently on it. But why would the switch operate in reverse? Is it related to the slow moving awning? The electric motor on the awning arm did not sound normal either. But I cannot see how something wrong with the motor or the wornout shock would reverse the polarity of the switch or the motor. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Again,thanks for the help.
kyounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #2

Battery up?......maybe switch has always been that way.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #3

Awning

You rolled it up in the wrong direction the last time you used it.
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #4

Sounds like somewhere along the line, you accidentally retracted the awning by pushing the "out" side of the switch, causing the awning to roll up from the underside of the roller. Pushing the " in" side of the switch would cause the roller to unspool from the underside, extending the awning. This wouldn't account for the different sounding motor or sluggishness of the action, however.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Look at the awning. It should be rolled over the top of the roller if it's correct.

That way debris falls off the end rather then get rolled up in it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:25 AM   #6

My electric awning, I do not believe it is possible to 'rolling it up wrong'.

You guys know something I don't.

On my awning - if the awning is in and I push 'in' nothing happens. If my awning is 'out' and I push out, nothing happens.

Now the OP must have done something odd to have the issue so maybe you guys are right.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:01 AM   #7

My awning has the motor out on the movable part. The wires are run thru an end seam in the material.

If I hold the out switch, it will roll all the way out, and then start rolling back up on the tube the wrong way.

I can aim the LED lights by rolling the tube one way or the other.

I haven't held the switch until fully rolled up the wrong way, but I dont see any reason for it to stop.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My electric awning, I do not believe it is possible to 'rolling it up wrong'.

You guys know something I don't.

On my awning - if the awning is in and I push 'in' nothing happens. If my awning is 'out' and I push out, nothing happens.

Now the OP must have done something odd to have the issue so maybe you guys are right.

You may have a different type awning than many of us. If your awning does not have vertical arms affixed to the sides of the MH and the scissor arms that extend the awning outward, then yours is different.

An awning that has folding arms that are parallel to the covering and fold into a carrier that is bolted to the top of the MH, operates differently. That may be the type you have.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounger View Post
This sounds crazy.
That does sound crazy. To help us determine if it can be rolled up the wrong way or not along with the other issues you are having please tell us what brand and model your awning is.

My Dometic awning stops at the end of its travel. It does not continue to roll so perhaps yours has a mechanical defect causing it to not stop, if that's even possible. When the awning is retracted the exposed fabric attached to the wall should wrap over the top of the tube, not under it. How does yours look?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #10

Well nuts. I never thought about the awning going back in by rolling over itself and thus coming in the wrong direction. I'll get back over and check it out. Thanks so much! kip
Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #11

Sorry for the long delay in writing back. I did get a chance to check out the awning and sure enough it is indeed rolled up backward. It's obvious now that I know what to look for. Thanks so much!

Tags
awning, power