RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #15

Listen to what Cumminsfan said.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Have the dealer install two 12V deep cycle batteries. Your 5er has a built in charging system when plugged in. Your truck will also charge the batteries while driving down the road. A 3000W gen is plenty for recharging while dry camping.
All this will be gone over when you do your PDI.
Thanks everyone . I'm clear on the 2 batteries. 3000 generator plenty?????
We have a 12 cubic foot fridge and will probably install another ac in bedroom.
I've been told on the internet before something is plenty and found out later we had different ideas of plenty. Thanks again everyone. I'm very pleased with this forum.
ThePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlumber View Post
Yes, thank you. That is a big help. But I don't understand when you said
"If you have the necessary 200 amps in two 12 volt batteries, instead of two 6 volts, that's fine."
Isn't 2 x 12 equals 24 and 2 x 6 equals 12?

No, it doesn't work that way. Everything in your rig needs 12 volts. So no matter what batteries you buy, they will be connected together in such a way as to give you 12 volts, and only 12 volts, using different wiring plans.

Wouldn't I get more Energy Out of two 12 Volt batteries instead of two 6 Volt batteries?

Nope, not at all, forget about volts, that is taken care of by the wiring plan. Just think in terms of amp-hours, which is written on the sides of the batteries. You need about 200 amp hours capacity is my guess. Here's the weird part: You add together the amp hours listed on the two 12 volt batteries to get your total amps- hours available. On the six volt batteries, you do not add them together - only count the amp-hours on one battery.

Like others have said, a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries is usually longer lasting than a couple of 12 volt batteries.

Can you make sense of that? So I can understand it.

I tried my best...
Thanks
You're welcome!
Old 08-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
50 amp rigs, like yours, usually require a generator of at least 7500 watts to run everything.

30 amp rigs require at least 3600 watts to run everything.

You can use a 3000 watt generator if you like, but you will have to do a lot of active power management, like no hair dryer while the microwave is on, etc etc.

You are unlikely to run 2 ACs with anything smaller than 4000 watts, and even if you do manage to get them going, don't turn anything else on...
Old 08-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't know what you don't know. As you mentioned, what some might consider plenty might come up short for others. Given everything here is new for you there's no way to guess what your electrical wants and needs will be with any degree of certainty. Consider the two 12V setup as a starting point to determine how close they come to serving your purpose. You may find they're just fine but if they're not, you'll definitively learn what the next set will need to be. Meanwhile, you bought 'em so use 'em up. Same goes for the genset. You could "cover all the bases" by getting an 8kW or bigger unit but you may find that for the few times you need to run both A/C's, the microwave and dry your hair all at the same time doesn't justify the weight and expense. Try a 3kW and if it doesn't work out you can always trade up. My bet is that over time you will begin to "ration" your power usage such that it will become second nature to limit use of high-draw devices and manage the charge on your batteries. If for no other reason than it's just more practical to work within the limitations of modest power sources than carry around and manage power sources that mimic a 200+ amp home service.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:14 AM   #20

there are many 50 amp rv's that have 5500 watt generators installed. we have one. it has been able to run 2 a/c's, the residential refrigerator, and the water heater just fine. we have never tripped the circuit breakers on the generator (20 amp and 30 amp).
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #21

Quote:
I miss-typed. We haven't drove away with it. We have an appointment to go over the hitch up and walkthrough etc. I balked at the point when they asked us how many batteries we want. I'm trying not to get taken. we are set for this Friday.
Its a 2020 grand design 260 rd
pulling it with a ram 3500
BD3 hitch.
Thank you very much for your responses. And I'm very sorry I made it sound like we drove away with it. I'm an idiot, sorry.
Please don't take this response hard, but if you "balked at the point where they asked you about how many batteries you want" and you're worried about "getting taken" with one additional battery then you're way behind the learning curve in this game and need to catch up fast. You'd be much better served to buy a used unit first and learn the systems before you buy a new product. One or two batteries are the least of your worries if this is the sticking point for you. On your 5th wheel you would be well-served with two batteries and especially if you have any kind of automatic leveling system. Again, I apologize for being harsh but getting an RV, let alone a brand new unit isn't something that you should do if you aren't inquisitive enough to ask why you need multiple batteries in the first place. They aren't "plug and play" devices. Hope everything works out for you.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations on the new fiver!! Nice unit.

If me, I'd decide what I want to do when not hooked up to shore power. If TV, coffee maker, charging phones, laptops, tablets, and running hair dryer are important then you will certainly want more than one battery and I would suggest 2-6 volt batteries are better than than 2-12 volt batteries for total amperage capacity. (Amps are what you want more of since everything will be in multiples of 12 volts.) If you plan on dry camping a lot then you'd probably be better off with 4-6v batteries. Me personally, I'd go with the Costco or Sam's Club 6v golf cart batteries. They are less expensive and you can always find a store for any warranty issues and they are easily replaced.

Also, if you are thinking about running 1-A/C from generator then a 3kw genny is the very least I would want. If you think you want to run 2-A/C's from generator then you should be looking at minimally 5 - 5.5kw. Really depends on your needs... what else you want to run at same time, and altitude, and outside temperature.

There are a lot more choices to this than than one simple answer so you need to do some research and figure out your needs. One size does not fit all.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #23

Quote:
The wife and I just picked up a new 2020 30 (29.8ft) ft 5er. We are clueless. We finally have the right truck to tow it. Now I need to install a battery system. I have been researching the past few hours and am overwhelmed. Batteries costing anywhere from 179- to over a grand. How many do I need? How do I re charge them. etc etc. Do I need a starter battery.
And how big does my generator need to be. Ours is a 50 amp supply. Is a honda 3000 enough. Can someone point me to the right article or thread.? I would be very much appreciative. Thank you so much.
1) Battery Bank: As others have suggested, get at least 200 amp hours of deep draw lead / acid batteries (not engine start batteries). 200 amp hours lasts for 5 days with plenty of reserve for me. Multiple batteries should be bought together for best performance and longest life. Brand, model, and age should match. Buy a pair now. You may have to discard one and buy two new ones later to increase battery bank size.

Flooded cell batteries are the cheapest. Water level must be maintained. They emit acid fumes and spray or spill acid. They also emit hydrogen while being charged. You can regularly use 50% of the 200 amp hours to maximize life. They do not do well when completely discharged. Flooded cell batteries can be stored fully charged and disconnected for 6 months.

AGM batteries cost significantly more than flooded cell (maybe twice as much). They are sealed. They do not need to have water added. They do not emit acid. They do not emit hydrogen. They can be drawn down flat with almost no damage. You can regularly use 80% of the 200 amp hour capacity and still get good life. AGMís can be stored fully charged and disconnected for 12 months.

I have a pair of Interstate 12 volt AGM batteries. At 100 amp hours each I get a total of 200 amp hours capacity. My last pair lasted more than 10 years.

Lithium Phosphate batteries are the best possible batteries. They are sealed. They do not emit acid. They deliver higher current faster. They can be charged faster. They will last the life time of your 5th wheel trailer. They cost 10 times what lead acid batteries cost.

2) A generator to charge batteries does not have to be large. A 50 amp battery charger only draws 600 watts when charging deeply discharged batteries. Almost every gas powered generator provides more than that.

Running an air conditioner, electric water heater, electric coffee pot, electric space heater, hair driver, and such use a lot of power. An air conditioner needs high current every time the compressor starts. Even a small AC needs at least 2200 watts to start. Two ACís starting automatically at the same time need double that.

Many people get two 2200 watt inverter generators because they each weigh a lot less than one 3500 watt generator. Inverter generators can be connected together to produce 4400 watts (two ACís). Note: not all brands of generators use the same rating system. Some 2000 watt generator brands can run one AC. Some cannot. A pair of 2000 watt Hondaís can do the job. Get one that has the 30 amp socket. Hook them together to run two ACís. Other brands can also be hooked together. Some of them have 30 amp socket kits as well.

Take pictures, video, or audio record when you do the walk through. There will be an overwhelming amount of information to remember. Take other family members or friends along to help absorb the lessons. Even the presenters get it wrong sometimes. Some brands have an on-line video walk through. It helps to get a look before you get the one on one and can ask questions.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:06 AM   #24

Wow, some really great advice, thank you very very much.

"I apologize for being harsh but getting an RV, let alone a brand new unit isn't something that you should do if you aren't inquisitive enough to ask why you need multiple batteries in the first place. They aren't "plug and play" devices. "
I am asking.
I think I hear 2 6v are better then 2 12v. I have the rest of tonight until tomorrow at 4 to figure it out. Good idea about recording. I'll make sure to have a fully charged phone.
We're planing on going to Argentina after we pick her up. Lol
Old 08-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #25

wow, you are going to tow your new 5th wheel to argentina? that ought to be an adventure!!!!!

before you commit to batteries find out how many and what size you new 5th wheel can carry. are they in a separate battery compartment that you can easily access to check water levels? or are they in sealed battery boxes with vent tubes to the outside. (our are). if they are in sealed boxes it is a real pain to take the covers off the boxes in order to check water levels. if this is the case you might want to seriously consider maintenance free batteries such as AGM or sealed lead acid.

have fun on your trip!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thank you all very much. I'm thinking I would like to have enough juice to get through a night using everything in the trailer, like lights, tv, massage chair, leveling off, etc. Then in the morning charge it back up using a generator or off my truck while towing to the next boondocking site.
er will do that?
Unless you have an inverter (changes 12V battery power to 120V house power), which I doubt is in a 29' 5th wheel, you won't be able to watch TV or use your massage chair, unless you're plugged into shore power or on the generator. Also, your microwave won't work either.

Your 3KW generator (probably 2.8KW, continuous) will power one A/C or microwave (not both) and your converter/charger at the same time. The generator will supply about 23 amps at 120V. The charger will most likely take up to 10 of those amps, trying to recharge the batteries.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:46 AM   #27

Going to Argentina? With a brand new rig? Take it VERY slow..... you will find many things broken or not working right on a new rig....and you will need a factory authorized repair shop to correct them for you. For some people this process of discovering what needs correcting, and then getting it fixed takes weeks or months.....longer if you are new to this and donít know what to look for, or cannot correct some of the deficiencies yourself.

Donít leave the US until you have camped long enough in the new rig to be sure everything is working to your satisfaction.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:01 AM   #28

I had 2 12 Volt agm batteries put in. Or pick up didn't go well. Don't take delivery on a late Friday afternoon during a pandemic. Our king pin needs to be wedged off for our turning point. And at 7 o'clock when the time came to hook up.The ones who know how to do it were gone. The salesmen and others screwed up. I have a good reason to be really upset. But going the good Christian is cool, stuff happens route. Next week I should have possession.
Not going to Argentina,that was a joke. Thanks again you guys.

Tags
power