Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 10:30 PM   #1

Power to trailer w/ batteries removed-- question

I am in need of some advice.
I removed both my batteries from my trailer today as they are not holding a charge anymore and are starting to leak. I will pick up a new set of batteries in a month or so but till then I would like to run a fan inside off a 110v outlet in the trailer.
My question is: Would it be ok to plug my trailer in to a 20amp outlet to provide power to the trailer to run the fan or will I fry something in the process?
Bug Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #2

Without a mention of what kind of trailer you have, I'd just be guessing that you have a 'Converter'? If that's the case, than it is not advised to plug into shore power because the batteries are part of the load and prevent the output from going too high. Even newer converters (you didn't mention the age of your trailer) don't like it but they are generally more tolerant. Any cheapo trailer should be left unplugged from shore power until the batts are replaced.

Just pull an extension cord in a window to power your fan.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #3

Jim,
My trailer is a 2010 airstream but the converter is a bit newer. You give me enough reason to pause and just run the cord thru a window or door for the time being when I want to run the fan. Thank You!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #4

I'll start by saying I'm no expert.
I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I have on many occasions turned off the battery breaker with TT plugged into shore power which electrically is the same as no battery.
My only concern/precaution would be to turn off the breaker because I wouldn't the loose battery cables to be hot and flopping around. If they ground out it could start a fire or make huge spark.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Juice View Post
I am in need of some advice.

I removed both my batteries from my trailer today as they are not holding a charge anymore and are starting to leak. I will pick up a new set of batteries in a month or so but till then I would like to run a fan inside off a 110v outlet in the trailer.

My question is: Would it be ok to plug my trailer in to a 20amp outlet to provide power to the trailer to run the fan or will I fry something in the process?

You mention the batteries are starting to leak? Are the cases cracked?
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:10 AM   #6

You can plug it in, just leave the battery disconnect switch off, if you have one.

Otherwise be sure to tape up the positive cables that you removed from the batteries. That will prevent short circuits.

If you feel that you need to switch off the converter/charger, ( you don't ), and you don't need 12 volt power, you could switch off the 120 volt circuit breaker marked converter.

Converter /chargers are built to convert 120 volts to 12 volts, with or without batteries connected. Read the manual.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
You mention the batteries are starting to leak? Are the cases cracked?
Leakage from around the negative top terminals, not a big leak but a crust has formed between the case and the terminals. Also the case on one is bulging out a bit. These things are 10+ years old now so it's time to get some new reliable ones again. I'll probably wait till the end of the month to order them.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can plug it in, just leave the battery disconnect switch off, if you have one.

Otherwise be sure to tape up the positive cables that you removed from the batteries. That will prevent short circuits.

If you feel that you need to switch off the converter/charger, ( you don't ), and you don't need 12 volt power, you could switch off the 120 volt circuit breaker marked converter.

Converter /chargers are built to convert 120 volts to 12 volts, with or without batteries connected. Read the manual.
I do have a switch which is labeled "Use" And the other option is "Store". I believe that is the same as a battery disconnect switch you are referring to?
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
I'll start by saying I'm no expert.
I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I have on many occasions turned off the battery breaker with TT plugged into shore power which electrically is the same as no battery.
My only concern/precaution would be to turn off the breaker because I wouldn't the loose battery cables to be hot and flopping around. If they ground out it could start a fire or make huge spark.
Tom,
I separated the battery cables so that they are about 4 inches apart. They set in separate groves in the battery tray which is lined with a thick plastic that makes up the inside of the battery box. I also forgot to mention that the trailer is currently in storage and is up on jack stands so no flopping around possible for now. It will stay that way till after I install the new batteries prior to any trip this Fall.
This weekend and into the foreseeable future they say will be in the 100's. Way to hot for camping.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Juice View Post
I do have a switch which is labeled "Use" And the other option is "Store". I believe that is the same as a battery disconnect switch you are referring to?
Thanks for the info.
Switch it to Store and the battery and cables will be isolated from the converter/charger.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #11

Costco has 6 volt deep cycle regular price around $90. They won't install them for RV'ers but they will put them in your vehicle.

In the case of my Class A, I'd disconnected the batteries while in their parking lot and the shop manager was happy to pull out the old batts (to refund the core charge) and drop the new ones in the tray. At my age, I didn't want to risk throwing out my back doing it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #12

Tape up the positive battery cable end and trip off the 120vac circuit breaker for power converter and plug your trailer in. The converter is actually designed to operate properly without a battery but it probably is best to simply turn it off.

Simple, done.

Charles
Old 07-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree, get Costco GC2 6 volts. Best bang for the buck.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #14

Bugjuice,

I just toured a new Airstream. It has a converter/charger. The "converter" will supply 12 volts to the system without a battery. A 10 year old converter/charger will probably do the same. However, some older models have a battery charger. It would need a battery connected to moderate the voltage.

You can contact Airstream and ask. You can get the make and model of the converter/charger to facilitate the answer.

The two batteries in the new Airstream are AGM batteries. They cost more, but don't require monitoring water level. They don't corrode nearby metal. They can be stored fully charged and disconnected for 12 months.

You should double check that your converter/charger will not supply higher conditioning voltage sometimes used with flooded cell batteries. AGM's don't like higher voltage.

Getting a manual for your existing converter/charger will answer a lot of questions.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power, trailer