Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan1 View Post
Thank you everyone for the great advice!! I'm most likely going to go with the predator 3500. I've only heard good things about it. Hopefully I can find a coupon or something to get it for a lower price. $800 from what I'm seeing everywhere around.

I do think having a less noisy generator is essential to be respectful for other campers.

I'm interested in hearing more ideas about building a collapsible box to help with suppressing the noise. I'd just be concerned with regulating the temperature.
I have a coupon for one. It expires 7 31 20. $699.99.
realjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #30

Thanks for letting me know. I Googled that coupon and found this.

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons...3584-30265763/

I'm wondering if they will accept it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realjet View Post
I have a coupon for one. It expires 7 31 20. $699.99.
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know. I Google that coupon and found this.

I don't see why not. I've used them before right from my phone.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #32

I'd take a picture of the above coupon (on my phone) and head to HFT.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
I'd take a picture of the above coupon (on my phone) and head to HFT.
They scan the barcode. If it doesn't scan they input the number by hand.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:20 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know. I Googled that coupon and found this.

I would take a picture and print immediately as backup just it case it disappears.

They will accept for sure.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
To answer your question, I would go with Predator and it is not even close.

Somebody may think otherwise, but I don't see advantage of have dual generator. Why use propane? It will have less power and with generator I want more power. Seem like it would be hassle to haul around propane tank etc.

But if you gonna pay $800 you may wish to consider the Onan 4500i. It is my next generator but my 9 year old 3500 Sinemate won't die

https://expressrvshop.com/products/onanp4500i
"UNIQUELY DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED BY CUMMINS".......... Uh, yea, right, not.......................

Except for the color and name on the outside, it is identical to the Westinghouse i4500. Same pull handle, exact same control panel, Same gas spill channel, same specs............. Onan just plastered their name on a no name generator being made for anyone who wants to market the product. $949 and free shipping, cheaper than Onan, but probably not as good on the service.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p81924.html

https://youtu.be/sTkKzK58Tas

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
"UNIQUELY DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED BY CUMMINS".......... Uh, yea, right, not.......................

Except for the color and name on the outside, it is identical to the Westinghouse i4500. Same pull handle, exact same control panel, Same gas spill channel, same specs............. Onan just plastered their name on a no name generator being made for anyone who wants to market the product. $949 and free shipping, cheaper than Onan, but probably not as good on the service.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p81924.html

https://youtu.be/sTkKzK58Tas

Charles
This is interesting because this means I can get the same generator for $100 cheaper. The Westinghouse version is sold at Northern Tool and they do service.

I think that Onan Dealer in link is being unethical about who made, design etc. On Cummin's site they did not say but they did not mislead.

https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrar...es/0059500.pdf

for the power 3800/4500 anybody else have anything comparable? My existing Inverter is made by Sinemate ( Chinese) and all of the reviews were negative about repairs and service, I bought anyway as price was too good. It still works like a champ. Only issues in 9 years.
1. Broke the pull handle cord. I had to take the entire thing apart only to find out it was a simple honda pull starter, bought a replacement off ebay.
2. Leaked all of the gas on garage floor. Turns out the primer bulb had cracked from age. The Mfg wanted something like $45 to get a new primer bulb shipped. I went to a lawn mower shop and the found a briggs stratton part that was very close, it was only a $1, I bought 2.
3. It would run about 30 minutes and cut off. I mixed the gas with SeaFoam, after about 2 hours of running, it has never cutoff since. It was my fault for letting it sit up too long without using.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This is interesting because this means I can get the same generator for $100 cheaper. The Westinghouse version is sold at Northern Tool and they do service.

I think that Onan Dealer in link is being unethical about who made, design etc. On Cummin's site they did not say but they did not mislead.

https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrar...es/0059500.pdf

for the power 3800/4500 anybody else have anything comparable? My existing Inverter is made by Sinemate ( Chinese) and all of the reviews were negative about repairs and service, I bought anyway as price was too good. It still works like a champ. Only issues in 9 years.
1. Broke the pull handle cord. I had to take the entire thing apart only to find out it was a simple honda pull starter, bought a replacement off ebay.
2. Leaked all of the gas on garage floor. Turns out the primer bulb had cracked from age. The Mfg wanted something like $45 to get a new primer bulb shipped. I went to a lawn mower shop and the found a briggs stratton part that was very close, it was only a $1, I bought 2.
3. It would run about 30 minutes and cut off. I mixed the gas with SeaFoam, after about 2 hours of running, it has never cutoff since. It was my fault for letting it sit up too long without using.
I like pictures so I thought I go pull my generator out. It started on the 2nd turn of the key!!!

Normally, when cold I use the key to just warm it up; but the pull start will always works if not flooded. Today though, pull start was not neccesary. This thing is 9 years old and there is NO AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER to my knowledge other than Mfg/ Distributor in Michigan.

When / if it ever dies I will go with this Westinghouse or Onan unless someone can tell me of better unit. The Sinemate only has had $25 parts over 9 years and I have done all of the servicing myself. My biggest single expense may have been a special Harbor Freight long allen wrench ball set that I needed to take unit apart to install new pull starter.

I bought off ebay way back when and I got it brand new for very cheap. It is very quiet and lightweight.

https://www.ramsond.com/sin3500/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_120337.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	288625   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_120138.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	288626  

Old 06-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #38

Predator 3500 vs Champion 3800

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the great advice!! I'm most likely going to go with the predator 3500. I've only heard good things about it. Hopefully I can find a coupon or something to get it for a lower price. $800 from what I'm seeing everywhere around.

I do think having a less noisy generator is essential to be respectful for other campers.

I'm interested in hearing more ideas about building a collapsible box to help with suppressing the noise. I'd just be concerned with regulating the temperature.

Small engines are all about brake in from my experience. I broke mine in with a cheap oil and mixed some break in additive, changed it after 2hrs,6,8. Get a drain plug with a magnet as well. After that itís a crap shoot.

Iíll post up my video Wednesday on my collapsible box. We are arriving at our next campsite then. Been busy working.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:32 PM   #39

My biggest issue with the Westinghouse or Cummins/Onan (or many of the other Chinese generators) is the use of a metal fuel tank. Practically everything nowdays uses a plastic fuel tank, it never rusts, corrodes, or rarely cracks or leaks. That was one of the issues in reviews of the Westinghouse was the rust on the steel fuel fill neck on new units.

My Bigfoot trailer has a 2500LP Onan generator built underneath it toward the front, so I do not need to purchase a portable. Yes, its LP, but I never ran the one in my motorhome much (it was a 3600LP) and the use of LP eliminates the fuel varnish, clogging, etc problem of having a gasoline unit.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
My biggest issue with the Westinghouse or Cummins/Onan (or many of the other Chinese generators) is the use of a metal fuel tank. Practically everything nowdays uses a plastic fuel tank, it never rusts, corrodes, or rarely cracks or leaks. That was one of the issues in reviews of the Westinghouse was the rust on the steel fuel fill neck on new units.

My Bigfoot trailer has a 2500LP Onan generator built underneath it toward the front, so I do not need to purchase a portable. Yes, its LP, but I never ran the one in my motorhome much (it was a 3600LP) and the use of LP eliminates the fuel varnish, clogging, etc problem of having a gasoline unit.

Charles
FWIW, the Ramsond Sinemate 3500 pictured above is Chinese made and has plastic tank. Poster above nailed when he said break in is key to generator. I will take it a step further and say that given you broke in properly, if you run monthly with loads, change the oils on regular cycle, it will run for a long time. In my case 9 years is too long but no need to buy a new one until it finally dies. If I ever get another one I want it two run both ACs even though I don't actually need it or use for RV. I do use on transfer switch at the house for back up power so getting an extra 1000 watts would be nice.

One other thing that I always do on my Sinemate 3500 is mix Seafoam or that Berryman B-12 Chemtool. I know it works. Clogging and carb issues will never surface if you do the above.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #41

I gave 2!Champion 2000 with parallel kit to my brother. They have about 4500 hours and no problem. I bought 2 new Champion 2000 and parallel kit for under $1000. Much easier to move 50# than 100#. They work on the 5er and at the s&b with power outages. The new ones have about 210 hours. No problems. They fit under the truck bed cover too.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #42

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Don't consider the 3800 it is noisy and doesn't produce a "clean" sine wave. Almost no one uses propane for generators as the power output is lower and fuel consumption is high. Propane is much less convenient when you go to purchase it.