Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #1

Private land, electrical hookup help

Hi all, I’m new to the RV community. We recently purchased a piece of land to develop as our home away from home. In the meantime we purchased a 39’ TT to park to use while working on the land. There is electrical to the land but the meter needs to be replaced and a breaker box installed. What do I need to have the electrician install specifically so we can power the RV? Any other words of advice for using an RV on an unimproved property?
Carrollswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #2

RV Power Pedestal with Meter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25325954478...b7c75b3401da52

Source of Water
Means of Waste Water disposal....Septic or sewer hookup
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #3

Don't buy anything until you confirm that you can have a RV type service installed.
Some towns don't allow service without a structure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #4

When you say the meter needs to be replaced do you mean the just meter itself or the meter base? You are responsible for the meter base but the power company or co-op is responsible for the meter once you provide a meter base, usually with an approved inspection from the local building department. What you can do is also going to depend on if the service is underground or overhead from a pole.

There are multiple ways to do this, the pedestal OB linked would be quick and easy if the service is underground but if you plan to build a house you may want to have the electrician build your permanent service now which can be mounted on posts with an underground conduit to the house or even mounted on a wall that eventually becomes part of the house which is the way we most often did it for new construction when they didn't want to build the whole house with generators.

If the meter is on a pole and you just want what we call "temporary construction power" then just stick a service panel on the pole and a weather proof box with a 50 amp RV hookup. You don't say whether the power is overhead or underground, and if overhead on a pole are you planning on moving it to underground for the house? If it is underground now do you know the size? All this makes a big difference in what you can do and the time it takes to do it. Normally the electrician would meet you out there and find out your needs and go from there.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #5

What are your future plans ? Home , RV port , just trailer ? Get a RV outlet for 30/50 amp and duplex outlet . Put a septic tank in big enough for your future needs . Might thank about a pole barn / steel RV cover for protecting Trailer ,then you will have a future shed or storage shed . Get a used shipping container for secure storage went you will be away from property .. Here's what we built on my 45 acres . 40' X 40' pad with RV port ,16' X 40' , guess cabin 12' X 30' with bath/shower and open porch 12' X 40 ' . 40' container for equipment and work bench .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	371268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	371269  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	371270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	371271  

Old 07-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrollswa View Post
Hi all, I’m new to the RV community. We recently purchased a piece of land to develop as our home away from home. In the meantime we purchased a 39’ TT to park to use while working on the land. There is electrical to the land but the meter needs to be replaced and a breaker box installed. What do I need to have the electrician install specifically so we can power the RV? Any other words of advice for using an RV on an unimproved property?
I would check first with the city/town to make sure it's ok. Assuming it is, your next step would be to contact electricians for estimates. A good electrician will know the supplies needed and won't have any trouble getting the job done.

Electricity is probably the main thing but plumbing needs to be thought about as well. You'll have to get fresh water into the trailer and also be able to discharge waste water.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't buy anything until you confirm that you can have a RV type service installed.
Some towns don't allow service without a structure.

If there is power to the existing Meter BASE, and just the Meter needs installed (by the utility), you would need to get in touch with the Building Department to pull a permit. Let them know that you plan to build and that this is a Temporary Service.
Have the contractor install the panel get it inspected, then the utility will come out and install the meter.
Your contractor should know this.

Also, if there is power to the Meter BASE now, this (link below) may be a better alternative to the panel that Old Biscuit suggested, as with this panel, the utility will not have to come out to shut off the power like they would, to install the Meter/Panel combination.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...447969&ipos=17

Tim
Old 07-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #8

I did this on wooded property that own. I used an electrician that ran conduit under ground then hooked to my electric box then to a 50 amp RV pedestal.

I would spend summers there. It worked out great. I would use the local state park and use their dump station.

One problem I had was the electrician company that did the work used a huge track hoe to dig the ditch to run the conduit underground. They knocked over too many trees and kinda ruined my initial vision. Also they made a lot of mud running that big track hoe.

So next time I would question what equipment they would use. I thought they would use a ditch witch.

Oh, and I told them numerous times I wanted an RV hook-up when they were done.

Also you will need at least a 911 address because the electric company needs to know where their meter is located.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:50 AM   #9

Wow guys! So much great info! Thank you so much! Looks like I need to further inspect the property (we just bought it) and see what exactly it has. The realtor said it needed a new meter, so I know at some point it had power to a 60 year old dwelling. Just not sure of the condition. The land is located in the county, so no issues with putting an RV on it. I’ll just pull my new RV up there (it’s a 2.5 hour drive) soon with a generator and use that until I see what exactly needs to be installed.

Also, the land does have a septic system. Anyone have a good link to what I need to do to hook to septic?

Thanks again!
Carrollswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrollswa View Post
Wow guys! So much great info! Thank you so much! Looks like I need to further inspect the property (we just bought it) and see what exactly it has. The realtor said it needed a new meter, so I know at some point it had power to a 60 year old dwelling. Just not sure of the condition. The land is located in the county, so no issues with putting an RV on it. I’ll just pull my new RV up there (it’s a 2.5 hour drive) soon with a generator and use that until I see what exactly needs to be installed.

Also, the land does have a septic system. Anyone have a good link to what I need to do to hook to septic?

Thanks again!
You need an open drain into the septic tank. The drain should have ability to close it like a public dump station or just a threaded end you can put a threaded plug into. Lots of options for plugs. Nothing high tech is required.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:47 AM   #11

I would contact the utility company and see if you can get service in your name.
Then contact a reputable electrician to update the panel/meter.Let him know what your needs are.
You may or may not need a permit.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:39 AM   #12

Sounds like you did your homework on the property grab. The house and the existing electric and sewer will make it doable.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:25 AM   #13

Is your user name the location, too? Things really change by jurisdiction. Depending on what was there before, you may be able to use existing equipment, and it's simple to add a 30 or 50 amp plug and tie into the septic system. Location and photos would help.

Cowlitz County PUD has a reputation as being pretty helpful.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
I would contact the utility company and see if you can get service in your name.
Then contact a reputable electrician to update the panel/meter.Let him know what your needs are.
You may or may not need a permit.

My opinion:
Do Not ever trust any contractor to tell you if you need a Building Permit.
Call your local Building Department. They will let you know if you need a permit or not.

If your contractor starts work without a required permit, and then gets caught, that's where YOUR troubles can begin.

Tim
TB673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical