Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Problem on top of problem for our 2016 Jayco

We bought a Jayco 265RLSW (26' bumper pull) and have had so many problems since purchase. It's given us several fantastic trips so it has it's good sides too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	177081

When we looked at it the rear wheels were sitting misaligned, looked like a bent axle which the salesman told me was not bent. Once again when we picked it up and they had it at the maintenance bldg where they did the inspection and added an electric tongue jack and weight distr/sway bar... he told me the good news... of it ever does get bent, Jayco gives us a 2-year warranty. The first time we towed it it spit out bearing grease all over the rear wheels, we didn't know to think anything of it.

It started with our AC power repeatedly going out. We were on a trip and rewired all our receptacles on the GFCI circuit, everything but the microwave receptacle. We ended up taking it to the dealership several times where they couldn't find a solution and denied problems. Eventually after repeated service they discovered bad wiring on the back of the breaker/fuse box, didn't find anything with the greasy wheel. They did not find any other issues when it was in the shop.

Our bed later broke, came free from the wall and the shelf above the bed came free on one side. (No dirty stuff, just happened). The dinette bench collapsed when my wife was sitting in it.

All that happened in the first few months. The breaker box is the only thing we had serviced.

Flash forward a few months later, we're on the highway in SD at 11pm almost to our destination and the wheels are smoking. We pull over and bearings are gone.

Attachment 177073

We called our dealership the next morning from the side of the highway in SD and the manager at our dealership said tough luck, hopefully you're near another dealership and there's nothing we can do. But when we get back they can look at it, but they are months behind and so it will be at minimum 30 days before they can even look at it. We called and called and eventually found a mechanic who could do an emergency roadside assistance call on the weekend and out in the middle of nowhere. We paid $500 out of pocket and he rebuilt us bearings and got us back on the road. He told us it was due to our bent axle and that's why it was spitting out grease. He told us we had an axle he wouldn't trust. (it was not the brand listed in the Jayco owners manual also)

A few days later (same trip) we had another wheel smoking. I pulled over and we had a broken leaf spring. The wheels jammed up within the wheel well and into the metal and rubbing on the finder. Our tires were in awful shape.

Name:	IMG_3153.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	177077

Name:	IMG_3200.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	177078

My wife found a Tractor Supply open 5 minutes before closing on Labor Day and found a leaf spring the right size but was a 3,500lb rating rather than a 1,750lb. It's all we could find. She got the leaf springs, jack stands and a breakover bar and I figured out how to swap leaf springs. (DON'T BUY CHEAP TOOLS FOR YOUR TRAILER!! My 3/8" socket snapped trying the loosen bolt on the equalizer)

We got it changed and drove toward home limping at about 50mph or below for 700 miles due to the uneven leaf springs.

This all happened within the first year of ownership. We don't even pull it that much! I think we've talked it on two long trips and 7 short trips around the area. (We're photographers, makes for good sleeping quarters and changing rooms for clients on location)

Is this normal? My wife has been emailing Jayco's corporate for reimbursements. The owners manual states that we should get them involved if our dealership cannot service our warranty repairs within 30 days

Name:	IMG_2395.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	177082
SethP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
An trailer axle will have a slight bow with high side on the top, so when it's loaded the tires have some camber. If you go to tractor supply or agri supply and look at the axles on the rack, they're all "bent".

I wonder if the axle was not installed correctly, and the axle rotated so the high side is someplace else than at the top.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
An trailer axle will have a slight bow with high side on the top, so when it's loaded the tires have some camber. If you go to tractor supply and look at the axles on the rack, they're all "bent".

I wonder if the axle was not installed correctly, and the axle rotated so the high side is someplace else than at the top.

The axle droops low in the center and the axles had a severe looking tilt in my uneducated opinion Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3170.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	177089
Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

From what I can see, it looks awful...(offense intended ), and no your experience in the first year shouldn't be normal, but often is to a lesser degree. Your chosen brand has an amazing loyalty and following, but I've never understood it? I guess it has more to do with my disappointment in construction and quality control of the industry in general, not just one brand.

Anyhow, I wouldn't pull that trailer very far with the axles looking like that. The wiring issue, unfortunately can be a common problem, broken spring on such a new unit, not unless something bad is wrong, or you put way too much stuff in the trailer/overloaded. The bed and dinette bench, heard about that before on this brand too, but it shouldn't have happened in normal use. Now I understand that "we the consumer" keep buying stuff like this, so we ultimately permit and encourage this lack of build quality.

Can't link the picture, but scroll down the thread link below to see what a properly installed travel trailer axle will look like, as mentioned, it will have a slight upward (arched) bow in the middle. If yours is bowed down, it's a bad day. source: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f.../1/page/31.cfm

I'd be parked in the dealer manager's office, and on the conference call with the manufacturer, and I'd "bring my lunch box"... I'd also be so disappointed, I'd consider cutting my losses and starting over.

Just for reference, if you find yourself anywhere near Baird, TX go spend some time walking around this trailer, and compare the build and design to what you have now. Snow River is built by Northwood (Arctic Fox).
https://hannerrv.com/NewInventory/20...VUOGCiAW0Wnfcw

Walk through video: (pay attention to the HD frame and equaflex suspension, aluminum superstructure, etc.)
https://youtu.be/uqgcTW6c-5o

The 234RBS is a discontinued floor plan for 2018, so maybe a deal to be had? They still make the 266RDS which is better suited to your current floorplan, and should still be a fit for your tow rig.
http://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/u...ow-River-6.pdf

Apologies for the derail, I just think it's a good time for you to get a look at a better built trailer with a heavy duty frame and suspension, so you'll know what to expect going forward.

Good luck getting your current trailer sorted out, I'd be working on getting both axles replaced, along with leaf springs, and new tires to boot, I'm with you, it never should have left the lot like that.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

Name:	IMG_2683.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	177104

I just noticed my photo of the hub with missing bearings did not attach correctly
Old 09-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
From what I can see, it looks awful...(offense intended ), and no your experience in the first year shouldn't be normal, but often is to a lesser degree. Your chosen brand has an amazing loyalty and following, but I've never understood it? I guess it has more to do with my disappointment in construction and quality control of the industry in general, not just one brand.

Anyhow, I wouldn't pull that trailer very far with the axles looking like that. The wiring issue, unfortunately can be a common problem, broken spring on such a new unit, not unless something bad is wrong, or you put way too much stuff in the trailer/overloaded. The bed and dinette bench, heard about that before on this brand too, but it shouldn't have happened in normal use. Now I understand that "we the consumer" keep buying stuff like this, so we ultimately permit and encourage this lack of build quality.

Can't link the picture, but scroll down the thread link below to see what a properly installed travel trailer axle will look like, as mentioned, it will have a slight upward (arched) bow in the middle. If yours is bowed down, it's a bad day. source: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f.../1/page/31.cfm

I'd be parked in the dealer manager's office, and on the conference call with the manufacturer, and I'd "bring my lunch box"... I'd also be so disappointed, I'd consider cutting my losses and starting over.

Just for reference, if you find yourself anywhere near Baird, TX go spend some time walking around this trailer, and compare the build and design to what you have now. Snow River is built by Northwood (Arctic Fox).
https://hannerrv.com/NewInventory/20...VUOGCiAW0Wnfcw

Walk through video: (pay attention to the HD frame and equaflex suspension, aluminum superstructure, etc.)
https://youtu.be/uqgcTW6c-5o

The 234RBS is a discontinued floor plan for 2018, so maybe a deal to be had? They still make the 266RDS which is better suited to your current floorplan, and should still be a fit for your tow rig.
http://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/u...ow-River-6.pdf

Apologies for the derail, I just think it's a good time for you to get a look at a better built trailer with a heavy duty frame and suspension, so you'll know what to expect going forward.

Good luck getting your current trailer sorted out, I'd be working on getting both axles replaced, along with leaf springs, and new tires to boot, I'm with you, it never should have left the lot like that.

Thanks for the info Normal_Dave - we are seeing how Jayco is going to resolve this and we may be doing some more research on better models. Thanks for the references on the Snow River
Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

Noticed one of your breakdowns was in South Dakota? Sounds like you folks are serious about your travel. Here's another fun fact. That Snow River 266RDS? Check out the sister company product from Outdoors RV 2017 Timber Ridge 250RDS (same ownership as Northwood), this one in Casper, WY, it is actually new, (link shows used).
Timber Ridge 2017 250RDS

And a really good construction video, you'll note similarities to the Snow River, but the ORV video is better, Snow River won't have the shock absorbers for example:
https://youtu.be/AK6jQRxBKeo

It's now called the Timber Ridge 25RDS after a model re-alignment:
ORV | Timber Ridge 25RDS

Lots of folks make the road trip to Oregon to buy them, a few Texas folks are in the process of doing just that:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/deal...ns-353619.html
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco