Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
Hay DirVer

I know that with an accedeline/oxygne (spelling?) welding rig, that grease/oil is a BIG NO NO. are you sure this is ok with porpane??
If the propane mixes with the Lithium grease, then the fitting is leaking! I only put a tiny dot on the brass threads only so that I can get them off when the grill poops out. I don't usually remove the hose from my grill. It can stay threaded into the grill's regulator/valve anywhere from 1 month to 1 year.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #16

Lorna I have never encountered a flair fitting that was difficult to loosen. In fact, they are prone to loosen from road vibrations and line movement. I test all the fittings and joints in my LPG lines(soap/water) each year for leaks for that reason. A few years ago I changed storage tanks at the house. Those fittings were undisturbed for about 37 years, and removed easily.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Lorna I have never encountered a flair fitting that was difficult to loosen...
I never said flare fitting. Do you have a portable table top grill? If so, go out and look at the ALUMINUM regulator in the grill. Look at it and you will see where you screw a disposable 1 LB canister into the regulator. I have hoses with BRASS fittings that will screw into the ALUMINUM regulator. Aluminum will corrode and make it difficult to get the brass fitting out. That was the problem I had until I started putting a tiny drop of Lithium grease in the brass threads (no place else... just enough to add a little lubricant to the threads only). NONE of the flare fittings are taken apart. Too much hassle. This is what I do. I've been doing this for several decades. It's what works for us.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #18

lorna, THANKS for that extra effort of posting pics with your reply!!!!! us mississippi country boys respond to pics better than words!!!!
larrydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
You realize you are paying about $20/gal for propane with the screw on tanks?

Think Adapters
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #20

YES!!!!!!!!! i realize! that is why i am asking about refilling and/or hose adapters.
larrydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
Hay DirVer

I know that with an accedeline/oxygne (spelling?) welding rig, that grease/oil is a BIG NO NO. are you sure this is ok with porpane??
If you mix oxygen with ANY grease/oil you will have BIG BANG. It must not be a problem with propane or someone would have known.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #22

Go to your local propane dealer. Have them make up a custom setup to connect your BBQ to a 20lb tank . It will fit and be JUST what you need
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
You can get the propane dealer to make a tie in to your RV system. It is easy and they are all just screw fittings and a gas quick connect. They can make a hose any length you like. I have done it on last 2 RV's, it works great. Never run out of gas....

Dave
2004 Monaco Signature
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Lorna,
I know you said you have good luck with the lithium grease on your propane fittings, but did you know there is a special white Teflon tape available for those fittings?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Lorna,
I know you said you have good luck with the lithium grease on your propane fittings, but did you know there is a special white Teflon tape available for those fittings?
I unscrew the fitting fairly often. Teflon tape won't work that well as I would have to retape everytime when reconnecting my gas grill. And yes I do have rolls of the YELLOW tape as the white tape is not for gas. We use the yellow gas tape on our permanent fittings. If you don't mind, I will stick to what I am currently doing. I'm sure that there are some that think it's wrong therefore I am wrong and you will be sure to tell me that I am wrong. But I really don't give a flying fig.

Last post.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #26

Lorna I apologize for mistakenly thinking that was a flair fitting. Now I'm confused. In one reply you said ; "If the propane mixes with the Lithium grease, then the fitting is leaking! I only put a tiny dot on the brass threads only so that I can get them off when the grill poops out. I don't usually remove the hose from my grill. It can stay threaded into the grill's regulator/valve anywhere from 1 month to 1 year." In your last reply you said: " I unscrew the fitting fairly often." What have I misunderstood?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Back to the original question of whether the small containers are refillable. One of my sons worked at a propane distributer for several years and when I asked him a few years ago about refilling the small containers with one of the devices they advertise on the internet he was negative. His comment was along the lines of they originally fill those containers with liquid propane and the attachments allow the gas (not the liquid) to go to the container being filled. So you end up with containers that have only a little propane in them. More trouble than it is worth - assuming he is correct.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Back to the original question of whether the small containers are refillable. One of my sons worked at a propane distributer for several years and when I asked him a few years ago about refilling the small containers with one of the devices they advertise on the internet he was negative. His comment was along the lines of they originally fill those containers with liquid propane and the attachments allow the gas (not the liquid) to go to the container being filled. So you end up with containers that have only a little propane in them. More trouble than it is worth - assuming he is correct.
The procedure is to invert the 20# cylinder and position the small cylinder below. Gravity does the rest, and the 1# cylinder (which has been in your freezer first) is filled with liquid LPG. It does work, but not a sound idea-refilling these one use disposable cylinders. This entire procedure may be found on the internet, with pictures for reference, for those who choose to do so.