Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #1

Propane issue

i went to light my stove and have a very low, weak flame. turned on the water heater (self igniting) it would fire then go out. took my tank to a propane filling station and they purged the tank and filled it. same issue still present. i think it might be the regulator so i went & ordered a new one. there's no breaks/kinks in the lines. i did not do a "soapy water" leak test. what do y'all think is the culprit?
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go back and shut of the propane at the tank. Wait about 5 minutes and very slowly open the propane valve. It has an excess flow device and it the valve is opened to quickly, it will set and restrict flow.

Ken
Old 07-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #3

Had the same problem, except only below a certain temperature. Replaced the regulator and problem solved.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #4

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/propane-gurus-this-question-is-for-you-513648.html

This thread may help if it's not the regulator.

Old Biscuit is a great help with propane issues too.

Good luck.
Gigattime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #5

Purging of Propane Cylinder only required when brand new and shipped under air pressure

2016 17RBSsportsman classic......those cylinders did not need purging

Inside the ACME Green Nut on the pigtail hose has the Excess Flow Device.....trips/limits flow if there is an imbalance in system ie: LEAK
But can also trip if OPD valve is opened too fast
Close the OPD...wait 30 seconds...reopen OPD SLOWLY
**Should hear a 'Click' when first opening OPD and then another 'Click' when system pressure equalizes

LP System Pressure downstream of Regulator is only 0.4PSI (11"WC)

Turn on ALL stove top burners on High
Let them burn for a minute
Watch the flame heights as you light each one off....all should be steady and not diminish in height

W/O actually using a Manometer to measure system pressure it is difficult to prove regulator is controlling/holding system pressure under demand

Assumption.........if Excess Flow Device is NOT tripping and stove top burners fluctuate, water heater will not stay lit (should have a STRONG slightly Loud Flame), fridge doesn't work on propane and furnace will not light off/stay lit.............then LP Regulator is faulty

Replace with a Cavagna 924N Auto changeover reulator
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:53 AM   #6
IC2

If you have had the tank refilled and the propane flow is still low (the flow device should have reset with refill) then first of all look at the flex pigtails. They only last just so long before they start to crack and fail. Next, that regulator - if you have two tanks and auto change over, operate the lever back and forth a few times, leaving it pointing at the active tank and see if that cures the problem.

Still a problem? Then look for a new regulator. OE is usually not a premium part. I think that every RV we have owned has needed a new one. My brand of choice is a Marshall Excelsior, but make sure you get the correct one. This is the correct one for a 2 bottle system: https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Exce...6349731&sr=8-3
Old 07-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
If you have had the tank refilled and the propane flow is still low (the flow device should have reset with refill) then first of all look at the flex pigtails. They only last just so long before they start to crack and fail. Next, that regulator - if you have two tanks and auto change over, operate the lever back and forth a few times, leaving it pointing at the active tank and see if that cures the problem.

Still a problem? Then look for a new regulator. OE is usually not a premium part. I think that every RV we have owned has needed a new one. My brand of choice is a Marshall Excelsior, but make sure you get the correct one. This is the correct one for a 2 bottle system: https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Exce...6349731&sr=8-3
Clarification on highlighted area:
Excess Flow Device is INSIDE the ASME Nut on the pigtails
Filling propane cylinder has no affect on them
Propane FLOW is how they function

Lever on Auto Change-Over Reg is for Red/Green Indicator NOT on cylinder flow capability
Lever could be left on empty cylinder and other cylinder would still provide propane
Auto Change-Over Reg swaps cylinders regardless of lever position
Old 07-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Clarification on highlighted area:
Excess Flow Device is INSIDE the ASME Nut on the pigtails
Filling propane cylinder has no affect on them
Propane FLOW is how they function

Not correct. The flow check is in the OPD tank valve as well as a check valve in the line. Just for your viewing enjoyment, I found this You Tube of a late OPD tank valve disassembly showing the flow check device: .

There aare many other ready references available

Any check valve in the pigtail is for safety if that line loosens fron the service valve, fails from age or is torn apart by an misfortune
Old 07-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Go back and shut of the propane at the tank. Wait about 5 minutes and very slowly open the propane valve. It has an excess flow device and it the valve is opened to quickly, it will set and restrict flow.

Ken
tried this today with no success.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Not correct. The flow check is in the OPD tank valve as well as a check valve in the line. Just for your viewing enjoyment, I found this You Tube of a late OPD tank valve disassembly showing the flow check device: .

There aare many other ready references available

Any check valve in the pigtail is for safety if that line loosens fron the service valve, fails from age or is torn apart by an misfortune
OPD (Over Fill Protection Device)
Float rises as liquid level increases when filling
Shuts Off FILLING at 80% capacity
Does NOT prevent Vapor Flow Out of cylinder

Spring loaded check valve in outlet connection will remain closed unless ACME Nut is properly installed....stub inside the ACME Nut pushes it Open
Thermal Bushing in ACME Nut melts in High Temps (fire) and OPD Spring Loaded Valve Closes

OPD Relief Valve pops open if high pressure spring set point is exceeded ---roughly 275 psi-312 psi (spring rate dependent)

Fix Level Gauge (Bleeder Valve) is manually opened/closed

That is ALL of the OPD Components....there is NO Excess Flow Device in the OPD

ACME Nut....
Excess Flow Device...spring loaded check valve ---limits flow if downstream flow exceeds btu rating (LEAK) or if OPD opened to quickly (Imbalance in upstream side vs downstream side)
Thermal Bushing
And color coded for btu flow ratings

Thermal Bushing

Excess Flow Device

sorry to side track post....but misinformation needs clarification
Old 07-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #11

installed the new regulator, everything works as it should.

thank-you all!
Old 07-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #12

Thanks for update and resolution to your issue!
Old 07-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #13

Thanks old biscuit
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #14

We have been dry camping up about 8200' in the Rocky Mountains between Estes Park and Blackhawk for two months(best two months ever). I use a 20# propane bottle connected to an Extend-A- Stay mounted just before our 40 gallon tank's regulator.
A few days ago I had to break camp and drive the coach into Longmont for a Diesel Emissions Test required annually to renew the registration on the coach. When we got back I hooked up the bottle to the Extend-A- Stay like always. I turned the OPD valve very slowly like I have done very many times the past few years, gave the fitting a bubble bath, then turned off the main tank's sevice valve. As soon as I got inside the DW asked me why the refrigerator was beeping.
I checked it out and it would not run on LP. I checked the range top and the flame burned a few seconds then flamed out. Further inspection outside revealed every appliance worked fine on the big tank including the outdoor BBQ hooked to the Extend-A- Stay via a 12' long hose. The BBQ was inop on the 20# cylinder.
I was unable to blow air from the E-A-S connector fitting through the 4' long hose through the ACME(or is it ASME?) connector and could see and hear the excess flow ball bearing valve close. When I sucked on the small end the valve opened and the air flowed.
I then blew through the ACME valve. If I did it very gently the excess flow ball bearing stayed open for 5 or so seconds before closing. If I blew any harder it would close immediately stopping the flow of air. I could suck air through the hose from the ACME connector.
Before I go off half-cocked wasting time and money on OPD valves or 4' hoses with ACME nuts does anybody have an possible solutions? The Extend-A- Stay and cylinder are about 3 years old and have seen daily use for most of that time.
Is there any way to safely lubricate and/or manipulate any check valves or anything else? Otherwise, I'm about out of airspeed, altitude and ideas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210802_152943041.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	338157Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210802_153042310.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	338158
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane