Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #1

Propane Noise ?

Have a " clicking ,whistle," sound coming from or near my regulator at my tanks. Does it from both tanks. Not leaking . Tried cutting different tanks off ,cant hear any noticeable difference. Any thoughts?
treeplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #2

if the regulators are old they can whistle at times.. have not heard a clicking per say, but a slight whistle.. yes.. new ones can do it as well but rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeplanter View Post
Have a " clicking ,whistle," sound coming from or near my regulator at my tanks. Does it from both tanks. Not leaking . Tried cutting different tanks off ,cant hear any noticeable difference. Any thoughts?
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

I notice a similar noise when I'm using a large volume of propane. Like when the water heater is on, I'm cooking, and drying laundry (propane dryer). Do you always hear it, or only when using significant amounts of propane?
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #4

Only hear it when using large volume of propane. Water heater, furnace. Whistling may describe better. It's is intermittent. A rapid pulsating "whistle"
Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #5

you have to remember how a regulator works.. it take the higher pressure in tank and meters it though a small opening depending on usage pressure, LP 11.5 WC and the volume of gas needed.

most RV regulator units are rate for 190K BTU more or less and that is MAX flow.. most water heater on RV use some 60K, furnace can be 60-70K... if both are running that is moving a bunch of gas through teh system.. In cold, ie 30 deg and colder, the reg can ice up on large flows due to moisture.

if you put your ear to the reg you will hear the flow for sure.

again it its an older unit 10 plus years or used in hot or extreme climates with lots of storage time between usage and , old tanks etc they can get crap in them.. the oil in tanks can build up causing issues but that is very rare.. (the "oil" is the additive from the "rotten egg smell" called Mercampthin ?..

also make sure the pressure is set correctly with a proper gauge.. generally 13 WC covers most needed unless the line is extra long then you mgiht need to bump up to 15"
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #6

Thanks. Always amazes me the knowledge available here!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Older regulators and high volume usage can cause a whistle. You can tray tapping on the regulator with a wooden mallet and it may stop for a spell. Otherwise, replace the regulator.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:42 AM   #8

If the unit is several years old I'd go ahead and replace the auto-changeover regulator. If for no other reason the whistle is an irritant.
Also, purchase a spare to keep in your box of stuff. If the regulator freezes in cold weather you will be able to replace it before spring thaw.
If the propane tanks/bottles are less than 100 pounds, I think they changed from 12 years to 10 years expiration/recertify a couple of years ago. If so, re-ert is only for 5 years so maybe new tanks too?
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #9

A whistling/hissing/humming regulator may be on its way out. Or not. As long as you do not smell gas you're OK. Here's an article that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about regulators and the sounds they can produce.

https://inspectapedia.com/Appliances...or_Humming.php
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, propane