Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #1

Propane on while sightseeing?

Hi all,

We're going to be starting our first big road trip Tues. MA to WV.

Anyway we're going to be staying at two different parks down there and on the day we move from the 1st to the 2nd I'd like to stop at Lewisburg for a few hours, look around etc.

Looks like there's a couple of decent sized lots available for parking and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to turn the propane and fridge on for this time?
Or if anyone else does this?

It will have been off for the drive thus far and I could just keep it that way. There'll be some ice packs and/or frozen water bottles in there. I just don't know if that's a long time to rely on the fridge keeping cool without any power, especially as it's liable to be pretty hot down there.
My other thought is to try not to have too much food left that would be of concern from the 1st leg but not sure that's going to work out or not.

Has anyone else done this? Leave propane and fridge on for sightseeing in an area?
NERoamer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2022, 06:57 PM   #2

Absolutely. That's what they are made for.

Sent from my SM-N981U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:59 PM   #3

I start my fridge on propane a few days before we leave when the wife wants to start overstocking it for our trip. It stays on until we arrive back home. I use the propane most of the time as it seems to cool better, especially in hot weather.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #4

I'd turn it on as long as the parking is pretty level.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:49 PM   #5

I have never shut off my propane valve. I shut down the fridge at propane filling stations but that's it.

I have 12 gallons of propane in a 1/4 inch thick steel tank and 60 gallons of gas in a square, thin sheetmetal tank.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:01 PM   #6

i turn mine on gas when we leave, and it stays on until we get home. my frig shuts off the gas when i plug into power at a camp site then back on gas when i pull the plug to leave.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
i turn mine on gas when we leave, and it stays on until we get home. my frig shuts off the gas when i plug into power at a camp site then back on gas when i pull the plug to leave.
Jay D.
x2

If lot not close to level, park heading downhill and raise jack to level.
Don't forget to retract before you drive off.
garywilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:17 AM   #8

Thanks all.

Figured it shouldn't be a problem but it was a scenario I hadn't really thought of before so figured I'd consult the experts.

Heading out this morning!
NERoamer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:10 AM   #9

It does depend on where you are driving. There are a few tunnels /routes between WV and MA that have propane restrictions.

Otherwise I leave mine on the entire trip running the fridge, even at filling stations but I use diesel truck lanes 99% of the time.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERoamer19 View Post
Thanks all.

Figured it shouldn't be a problem but it was a scenario I hadn't really thought of before so figured I'd consult the experts.

Heading out this morning!
Safe travels. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my SM-N981U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #11

I turn my propane on at the beginning of the season and **** it off at the end. If I know I won’t be using the coach for a while I might **** it off if I remember, but generally it’s on all the time.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I start my fridge on propane a few days before we leave when the wife wants to start overstocking it for our trip. It stays on until we arrive back home. I use the propane most of the time as it seems to cool better, especially in hot weather.
I share your pain sir on the overstocking. I've given up on getting meals planned. It seems we bring back as much as we took in the first place but ate well the entire trip. There are grocery stores everywhere.
That being said she's a great human and wife. I'll keep her haha.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I turn my propane on at the beginning of the season and **** it off at the end. If I know I won’t be using the coach for a while I might **** it off if I remember, but generally it’s on all the time.
I do nearly the same as you. The only other time I shut the valve off is when I have the tank refilled.

Tags
propane