Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Prospective TT RV'ers from Upstate NY

Hello everyone,

My wife Lisa and I, along with our two boys have been 'just looking' at travel trailers for over a year now and may take the plunge soon. I have a good idea of what make/models I like, after spending countless hours showroom and RV show shopping, talking to others, and a lot of online research. I fancy myself very analytical and objective, but am still quite green when it comes to RVs. I'm concerned my wife is too enamored with the floor plans, and while that is important to me, I tend to concentrate more on the build quality, materials, technology, etc. She does think those are important too, so we are not at odds too often on things.

We are looking for a 29-31' TT with a bunk house (preferably with a slider there to provide more room).

One of our top considerations are the Heartland North Country Lakeside Edition, and Heartland North Trail 32BUDS. Does anyone have any feedback on these models?

I am also concerned with what I can realistically tow with my 2010 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 (5.4L with 3.55 gear ratio) rated at 9600 Lb towing capacity. We have a 22' boat (3800 Lbs) that the truck pulls just fine, but a TT around the 30' range is going to be double that weight or more.

Looking forward to reading through the forums for your opinions and wisdom in making our choice. Maybe we'll run into you one day at a campground.

Take care!
Ray
rayk4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ray,

I can not answer your questions, I just wanted to say Hello and WELCOME! It is really good that you are taking your time and doing all the research to make sure you get what will fit your needs/wants. A lot better to do that so that all of you are happy with your purchase and actually use it

Let us know what you do purchase. Please do not hesitate to ask questions-- there is no 'dumb' question here as we were all newbies, at one time, and there is decades of experienced members here who are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I also can't answer questions on towing but wanted to welcome you to iRV2.

As the saying goes in realestate Location, Location, Location. So does the saying go in RV's, Floor plan , Floor plan, Floor plan. Just saying......don't count out the DW's (Dear Wife) floor plan wish. I am a mechanic & I am like you, more concerned with the mechanicals than the floor plan, but the DW must be happy. So with that said find the mechanics & build structure you want along with the floor plan she wants & you like also. When the mechanics & structure are right, they will pretty much take care of themselves with just some routine maint. Then you all get to enjoy the floor plan.
GOOD LUCK in the search. Hope to see you in a campground someday.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ray & Lisa! Welcome to IRV2! Sure glad you joined us! Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum Ray and Lisa. Hope you enjoy your time here, plenty of great people with a wealth of knowledge to solve everyday problems. Hope you find that travel trailer soon. Enjoy all your future travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
First let me welcome you to iRV2.com. We're glad you're here & you've come to the right place for advice.

Your F-150 is not sufficient to safely tow that size of TT. If you load your truck up with a full tank of fuel & everyone/dogs/gear in it to travel & you go to the scales you will be surprised by how much you weigh loaded. You subtract what you weigh loaded from your vehicle's GCWW (Gross Combined Weight Rating) & THAT's the weight you're left with to tow.

I'm concerned with the TT length, too. Even with equalizing/sway bars, you'll have a difficult time controlling that long of a TT with an F-150. Also, you say you are looking at 29-32ft TT's, but the NT32BUDS is 35'10" according to the web specs. Way too long to be controllable by an F-150.

I think you should consider either a smaller TT or get a larger tow vehicle.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
CD

I agree with Lori. We have a 28' TTthat is 9K the way we travel. I towed it with a 3/4T Dodge W/Cummins and it did OK. When we got the 3500 Dodge Dually it handled so much better. It wasn't the power, it was the stability. I don't know anything about the F150 but I'm sure someone will tell you it will be great. JMHO

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

Thumbs up Thanks for the Reality Check

Thank you Lori and CD. As far as the weight, I did some calculations and have determined my 'loaded' trailer weight should not exceed 7600 Lbs. I took the GCWR (15,500) and subtracted the vehicle's empty weight (5624 Lbs), Full 36g tank of Gas (219.6 Lbs), and estimated vehicle load of people, dogs, gear (1045 Lbs), and an approximate trailer load of (1000 Lbs). Did I miss anything?

Given that, I'm assuming we are probably looking at trailers of approximately 27-29' range and of the 'Lite' variety.

As far as the stability concerns cited: I know my F-150 Lariat 4x4 has a lot of intelligence built into it's computerized controls to minimize and account for trailer sway (AdvanceTrac with RSC (Roll Stability Control) and Trailer Sway Control, plus an Integrated Trailer Brake Controller). Since I need to go to a smaller trailer anyways (due to weight), how big of a concern do I have with sway now? I definitely would incorporate anti-sway/equalizing bars.

I truly appreciate the advice I am receiving from everyone. I feel blessed to have come across a site that will help me make wise and practical decisions. Thank you very much.

Ray
rayk4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayk4e View Post
Thank you Lori and CD. As far as the weight, I did some calculations and have determined my 'loaded' trailer weight should not exceed 7600 Lbs. I took the GCWR (15,500) and subtracted the vehicle's empty weight (5624 Lbs), Full 36g tank of Gas (219.6 Lbs), and estimated vehicle load of people, dogs, gear (1045 Lbs), and an approximate trailer load of (1000 Lbs). Did I miss anything?

Given that, I'm assuming we are probably looking at trailers of approximately 27-29' range and of the 'Lite' variety.

As far as the stability concerns cited: I know my F-150 Lariat 4x4 has a lot of intelligence built into it's computerized controls to minimize and account for trailer sway (AdvanceTrac with RSC (Roll Stability Control) and Trailer Sway Control, plus an Integrated Trailer Brake Controller). Since I need to go to a smaller trailer anyways (due to weight), how big of a concern do I have with sway now? I definitely would incorporate anti-sway/equalizing bars.

I truly appreciate the advice I am receiving from everyone. I feel blessed to have come across a site that will help me make wise and practical decisions. Thank you very much.

Ray
Again, I don't know about the computorized controls you have. They may be very helpful. It's not about everyday down the highway. What I was talking about, more TV weight, stiffer suppension and more rubber on the road. What I noticed with our TT and the 2 TVs that I mentioned was going into a corner (usually going down hill) the TT would tend to try to push the TT sideways and it didn't happen with the 3500. You don't want that to happen if you have to make a quick lane change.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

If you continue on with your plans, please consider the ProPride or Hensley Arrow hitch to eliminate worries about sway control.
I towed a 30' trailer with large front slide using the Hensley and had NO sway problems; the ProPride is a newer, less expensive version.
Just my opinion...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #11

You also might look into a brake controller to help you stop that T.T.
I know my sig doesn't match my avatar but will soon update it.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayk4e View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife Lisa and I, along with our two boys have been 'just looking' at travel trailers for over a year now and may take the plunge soon. I have a good idea of what make/models I like, after spending countless hours showroom and RV show shopping, talking to others, and a lot of online research. I fancy myself very analytical and objective, but am still quite green when it comes to RVs. I'm concerned my wife is too enamored with the floor plans, and while that is important to me, I tend to concentrate more on the build quality, materials, technology, etc. She does think those are important too, so we are not at odds too often on things.

We are looking for a 29-31' TT with a bunk house (preferably with a slider there to provide more room).

One of our top considerations are the Heartland North Country Lakeside Edition, and Heartland North Trail 32BUDS. Does anyone have any feedback on these models?

I am also concerned with what I can realistically tow with my 2010 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 (5.4L with 3.55 gear ratio) rated at 9600 Lb towing capacity. We have a 22' boat (3800 Lbs) that the truck pulls just fine, but a TT around the 30' range is going to be double that weight or more.

Looking forward to reading through the forums for your opinions and wisdom in making our choice. Maybe we'll run into you one day at a campground.

Take care!
Ray
Ray,

We tow our 29 foot Holiday Rambler TT with our 2010 half ton ford 4x4. Sounds like we have the same truck! It tows it like a dream! Ours is built light specifically to be able to be towed by a half ton. Just be sure the one you buy is also rated for your truck and figure in weights for the contents you will be hauling. Of course we also have sway bars which helps in handling of the trailer too.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect unit!

Shelle
Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and .

Lot's of good advice here so far. I wanted to emphasize the importance of control, not so much for day to day towing but more for those unforeseen events that require panic stop braking and evasive maneuvers. The bigger the truck the safer the trip.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Again, I don't know about the computorized controls you have. They may be very helpful. It's not about everyday down the highway. What I was talking about, more TV weight, stiffer suppension and more rubber on the road. What I noticed with our TT and the 2 TVs that I mentioned was going into a corner (usually going down hill) the TT would tend to try to push the TT sideways and it didn't happen with the 3500. You don't want that to happen if you have to make a quick lane change.
I have had this happen to me. Did not know that my ex had added a whole bunch of weight, to the trailer (which took us over the limit). Was coming out of the mountains, of New Mexico, and suddenly the TV (tow vehicle) was being pushed by the trailer. I've never been so scared in my life (up until then anyway)! I was being pushed into oncoming traffic toward the guard rail (which was right before a drop-off). To this day I could not tell you how I got that thing undercontrol, back in my own lane, over to the shoulder & stopped.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland