Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

Protect those Shock threads

Just finishing up checking and servicing my 99 Prowler bearing and brakes and while I was there I was looking at the sad looking shock housings (probably OE) with a couple with creases on them from road debris or driver error I decided to remove the worst to get a closer look. Well after spraying some miracle juice on the threads and getting more aggressive tools from the shop I got the first one off. Which brings me to this posting and a little Rally trick I want to pass on. Those of you who have a lower threaded post and in most cases seemingly longer than needed take a piece of fuel or vacuum line and thread/slip it over the threads. Used or new it doesn't matter just thread it on up to the shock nut. Just remember that 1/4 mile gravel road that you said " I was only going 10 mph" is like sand blasting with quarter minus and larger rock
Either you our the next owner of your TT will be thankful
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Does the expression " Hot wrench " strike a familiar note.

Not every one has a cutting torch , but you can cut the shock stud with a hack saw or Dremel , your throwing it away anyhow.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #3

Sawsall works well also. I did end up cutting a 1/2 off one but they have a lot of extra threads. I ended up putting it back on (chased the threads and a little fusing) because my new one's won't be here until Friday and I plan on being gone.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote