Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #15

If you go back through the posts and do a search of the forum, you will find that the thefts occur in storage yards and when parked at home. Since 2004 I do not believe that I have read about a camper stolen from a campsite on any of the forums that I follow. Two totally different risk factors and environments. You originally asked about protecting from theft at a campsite and you got just about the same answer from everybody.
Campers in storage are targets just the same as the car in your driveway except that the bigger the camper, the smaller the chance it will be taken. The one referenced as stolen could be put on just about any hitch without any weight distribution hardware and driven away very easily.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #16

Motion sensor attached to an incredibly loud alarm system that cannot be turned off without a key, hooked into a phone dialer to your cell phone.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
You originally asked about protecting from theft at a campsite and you got just about the same answer from everybody.
My bad if my original post implied I was concerned about leaving a TT unattended in a conventional campground. That actually wasn’t where I was coming from, although I realize I didn’t make that clear. I frequently boondock in remote areas where I may be the only camper around. My post was written the morning after I rode out a bad thunderstorm in my TT, located deep in the woods off of a dirt road that was a cut through and did bring the occasional vehicle coming by which could see my TT. I had the option of going elsewhere overnight but would have had to leave my TT behind. Not having any security devices with me other than locking my door, I suddenly realized how vulnerable a small unattended TT could be, which is why I chose to “weather out” the storm instead.

But that vulnerability made me realize the situation could present itself again. Plus - I’m thinking of leaving it at a storage facility for several months this winter. Maybe the truth is - there IS no good way to prevent, merely to deter, but I’d sure like to be a bit proactive if possible.

I was disappointed to read that even the wheel lock didn’t deter these thieves. Are there any better options available?

Also - as I’m currently looking at storage facilities for the winter, (near Brunswick, GA if anyone has a suggestion) I was curious how those particular thieves from the previous post made it into the yard and back out the gate and what to look for in a storage facility, an offshoot from my original question.
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner Mality View Post
...took 3 guys 7 minutes to remove the locks and hitch it up and pull out...
Souljourner,

I too took your post to mean leaving your TT unattended at a campground while out for many hours during the day.

So sorry to hear about Abner Mality's theft. In seven minutes the thieves had defeated his reasonable precautions. In a campground situation, that probably would have been sufficient. Seven minutes of poking around someone's site making noise would probably have been enough of a deterrent.

Storage facility or remote boondocking is a different beast. That's not in my wheelhouse so hopefully someone else will chime in some great tips.

I can relay one thing I read regarding storage. Be sure to check on your rig periodically. I was reading somewhere about a rig stolen from a "secure" facility. The facility had video but only on a 30-day loop. Unfortunately they didn't discover the theft soon enough to get any video evidence.
Campfire Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thieves can find al sorts of ways to steal a trailer. Best and pretty much sure-fire way slow down the thieves is to jack it up and remove all of the wheels and store them at home.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #20

So what makes your TT so desirable compared to all the others at a storage unit?

I can see the boondocking thing and have wondered myself about it. We don't camp out in the boonies very often and when we do it's only for a couple nights and we only leave the TT for a few hours at a time. My biggest concern is someone breaking in and going through our stuff. Now the door is messed up or even one of the cargo doors is messed up.
If it makes you feel better stick a coupler lock on. I doubt it will be a big deterrent though and my guess is that thieves will more likely break in to the TT and take what they want vs take the TT.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Thieves can find al sorts of ways to steal a trailer. Best and pretty much sure-fire way slow down the thieves is to jack it up and remove all of the wheels and store them at home.

Ken
Now that’s an interesting suggestion! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:57 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Ken
I was going to suggest exactly this, except maybe not all of the wheels. I used a variety of locks when I pulled a trailer. I was never happy with any of them. There aren’t a ton of thieves out wandering the wilderness looking for trailers to steal. Around here, they go directly to the storage lots and look for ones with locks on them.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
I was going to suggest exactly this, except maybe not all of the wheels. I used a variety of locks when I pulled a trailer. I was never happy with any of them. There aren’t a ton of thieves out wandering the wilderness looking for trailers to steal. Around here, they go directly to the storage lots and look for ones with locks on them.
I knew there weren’t a whole lot of thieves wandering the woods looking to steal a trailer, but stumbling across a late model TT completely accessible might be hard for an opportunist to resist. I guess in that case, the usual hitch and wheel locks would suffice, since it seems like they work best at keeping honest people honest.

I see that storing a TT is a whole different issue, one I wasn’t originally thinking about. Since I’m planning on storing this unit for several months, my next question is - how are thieves getting into and out of supposedly secure facilities? What should I be looking for when choosing a storage facility?

Thanks for confirming the wheel suggestion.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #24

Why not mount a surveillance camera on the front of the trailer so at least you could see who took it. Most are able to be viewed off an app. My son has one for his home's front porch. It alerts him when activated.

Something like this that runs off a battery. A small solar panel on the roof would keep the battery charged enough to run the camera. If the TT is stolen you at least have video of it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EleaElean...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #25

Quote:

Ken

Not the most convenient, but your solution has to be about the most effective.

Just about any lock will only slow down a determined thief. I use a lock to get off the "easy pickings" list, but my best protection is my insurance policy.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #26

I cable through the wheels and around the axle. Put the lock underneath where it's filthy to get to.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #27

Buy insurance.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
So what makes your TT so desirable compared to all the others at a storage unit?

I can see the boondocking thing and have wondered myself about it. We don't camp out in the boonies very often and when we do it's only for a couple nights and we only leave the TT for a few hours at a time. My biggest concern is someone breaking in and going through our stuff. Now the door is messed up or even one of the cargo doors is messed up.
If it makes you feel better stick a coupler lock on. I doubt it will be a big deterrent though and my guess is that thieves will more likely break in to the TT and take what they want vs take the TT.
I leave 751 keys in most of my storage compartment doors so they don’t have to break them. Haven’t gone there on the RV keys, though.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote