Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But Insurance will not replace any irreplaceables that you have in the RV
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
I leave 751 keys in most of my storage compartment doors so they don’t have to break them. Haven’t gone there on the RV keys, though.
I don't have 751's though. I'm sure there's a list of common RV baggage door key numbers and I guess a seasoned RV thief would have all the common ones.
Not sure how many season RV thief's there are.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #31

If they want they will get it But

Our Damon Tuscany and Boat as with previous trailers and RV have a track 4 GPS locator wired into the system in a non prominent location. It transmits its location, battery status, and Temp once a day or every 10 min if its moving. As well as a warning if it leaves a prescribed Geo zone. Case in point I see our Boat moved at 3 Mph earlier in the week as our storage facility made room for some additional units as TS ELSA approached. Best $90.00/yr we spend all year. l so have one in my toolbag in the basement of the bus Which will most likely take us to the front door of opportunists. Watching on line for location is easier than trying to find a key to unlock the trailer hitch.
Capttjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #32

Jayco Owners Club
Just a thought, hide the real trailer connector cord along the frame and out of sight and then substitute that one with another trailer cord that has all the conductors wrapped together (shorted out) and then make it look like the only trailer connector to use (run the cable to somewhere out of sight). Then when they plug into the trailer they short out their electric brakes, brake lights, turn signals, and perhaps more. They may still steal your trailer, but they are also more likely to get pulled over because the brake and signal lights aren't working... or have the fake cord connected to 120v (inverter perhaps) in order to burn out all the thief's wiring when he plugs in the trailer connector. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
But Insurance will not replace any irreplaceables that you have in the RV
Our personal property coverage will kick in but it won't help with any items that have sentimental value. We don't keep anything like that in the TT. But I realize that could be a very valid concern for many.

I remember following the Oakland Hills Fire, people talked about losing family photos & keepsakes. Not necessarily items of high dollar value, but of high sentimental value that could not be replaced.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:10 PM   #34

Most security devices will be defeated by a cordless angle grinder with a cutoff wheel in a heartbeat.

This one is only $39.99 for the tool and $24 for the battery however even a $10 angle grinder run on an inverter will work just fine.

Out in the boondocks all alone it is what it is and your chancing thieves, vandals, raccoons, deer, moose, bears, wild fires, etc, etc and only the first two may be concerned about a lock or security system. In a storage lot taking the tires and similar may prevent outright theft of the entire unit however only surveillance video and regular visits along with good insurance will deal with break-ins and theft of contents or vandalism.

A friend who lived out in a remote area put in an alarm system that caused nausea, vomiting and eventually loss of consciousness if the thief stayed too long. They had a break-in and his wife made him get rid of it due to the trail of blood and vomit from when the thief injured himself trying to make it stop and vomited all over the place as he exited through a window.

Setting traps can backfire on you with thieves successfully winning damages in court over losses, damages or injuries from traps or even potentially unsafe conditions. So setting a trap to damage a thief's property or person is not that great an idea especially if they can classify it as a Mantrap.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #35

When I lived in an apartment I had a 15' boat on a trailer that I kept in the parking lot. i used a coupler lock and at the same time, I jacked the trailer up and took off one of the wheels. That way, if they wanted the boat, they would have to bring a spare wheel and jack. What I did not lock up was the motor, and now that I think about it, I should have found a way to secure it. Fortunately, boat and motor were never messed with.
bhall74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #36

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
If they want it, you can't stop them.
I don't lock any of my lower compartments. The doors cost more than all the stuff inside.
Park it in a place few thieves want to go is the best thing to do.
Yes! I saw a fellow pry open the door on his trailer because he locked the keys inside. Spoke with him later and he said he never again will lock it up.
Damage was amazing!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #37

Chain harder than bolt cutters

These chains will slow down or remove the ability for most thieves. However if they have access to an angle iron grinder and noise is not a risk for them ....they can eventually get it.

https://youtu.be/hbCMpDFDqNo
Precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #38

Sadness. Too many people have no honor, no honesty, and apparently no chance of being prevented from being thieves.

They support the insurance industry and its increasing rates.

Maybe buy a less-desirable camper, even an old beater, fix up its insides to be comfortable and nice, but leave the outside unattractive, helping to discourage thieves' attention?

No, there's no answer to people being bad if the alternative is having them be bad to someone else in your campground or neighborhood.
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuluthFisher View Post
Maybe buy a less-desirable camper, even an old beater, fix up its insides to be comfortable and nice, but leave the outside unattractive, helping to discourage thieves' attention?
I have a nice mountain bike which I have spray-painted into ugliness. No one steals it, even though they steal the nice-looking ones around it. Still works as well as it ever did.

I have several pairs of nice K2 skis, which I also spray-painted to make ugly. They still handle nicely, but they don't get stolen at the ski rack.

Camo is a great defense against theft, if your ego can take it.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
k.

...Camo is a great defense against theft, if your ego can take it.

I sprayed Camo on my Trailer and now can't find where I parked it.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #41

Locks and chauns won't stop a determined thief, but they will slow him down. The better the lock, the more it slows him down, and thieves are usually in a hurry.
But a good lock WILL generally stop a theft of opportunity. No snatch'n'grab if he has to fuss with a strong lock or chain.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capttjl View Post
Our Damon Tuscany and Boat as with previous trailers and RV have a track 4 GPS locator wired into the system in a non prominent location. It transmits its location, battery status, and Temp once a day or every 10 min if its moving. As well as a warning if it leaves a prescribed Geo zone. Case in point I see our Boat moved at 3 Mph earlier in the week as our storage facility made room for some additional units as TS ELSA approached. Best $90.00/yr we spend all year. l so have one in my toolbag in the basement of the bus Which will most likely take us to the front door of opportunists. Watching on line for location is easier than trying to find a key to unlock the trailer hitch.
Can you share more specifics about the particular system you used?

Thank you to the many who responded. I’ve been reading all the suggestions voraciously and have been presented with ideas I hadn’t considered before. Even though my unit is well insured and it’s far from the most expensive unit out there, I’m attached to it, have it fixed up the way I like it, I use it regularly, and it would be hard to replace due to demand even with a healthy insurance settlement.

I’ve come to the conclusion that a decent protection device will stop the opportunist in a camping situation, but that the storage facilities are another issue. I like the idea of removing at least one of the tires, as well as using a tracking device that sends an alert if there’s activity. Perhaps overkill and paranoid to some, but I’m reminded if the ancient proverb, “Trust in God but tie up your camel.”

Does anyone have a recommendation for such a device? What powers such a device?

Also - what does anyone think about the security value of this heavy duty lock, link posted below?

If I wanted a lock in addition to any other deterrents, is there anything better?

AMPLOCK U-BRP2 Boat Trailer, Trailer and RV Coupler Lock fits Specific 2 inches Coupler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUNFGI0...YDHFAMXGM2RCH0

“The Most Reliable and Durable Lock On Market
Mass of material of 10 pounds heavy that slows down all cutting type attempts
Material absorbs shock instead of breaking, the lock will fold/bump after impact
Resist to torch cut and liquid nitrogen
Better corrosion resistance”
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote